“Tasty lunch surrounded by gorgeous countryside”
Review of Kings Head Pub - CLOSED

Kings Head Pub
Price range: US$6 - US$27
Good for: View
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We really enjoyed our lunch sat out in the garden of the Kings Head, Docklow. It has spectacular views over north Herefordshire and Worcestershire. Ordered at the bar and was greeted warmly by the landlady. We do much prefer to meet the owners rather than waitresses to begin with, it's much more friendly. Loads of choice on the menu and quickly chose some meals. Food was served to us outside and was wonderfully hot and tidily presented. Tasty, well seasoned/dressed salad and hot chicken in a wrap. Lovely homecooked chips, the kind your dad used to make. Bit disappointed with the Gents facilities, which were a bit tatty to say the least. Despite this, no other flaws in an otherwise excellent lunch.

1  Thank WalnutTruffle

Reviewed 23 August 2013

We were returning home after a long morning exploring Herefordshire and having just passed through Leominster, it was already 1.30pm, so we decided to stop at the next restaurant we saw along the highway, for some lunch. Just by chance the very next place on route was the Kings Head. My wife and I agreed that we would take a risk on a pub meal as hunger was setting in.

Thee car park was empty - a bad sign, and so too was the interior. Taking a seat in the restaurant/bar we studied the menu and the selection of 'specials' chalked on the blackboards. The menu showed a traditional tried, tested and safe selection of pub food, all well described but as expected. However, the 'specials' board seemed more interesting, so ordering at the still empty bar, my wife selected the oven baked salmon with hot tomato chutney, on a bed of crushed new potatoes with vegetables, while I chose the home made chicken tikka masala with rice, naan and mango chutney. We both had soft drinks.

We waited patiently for our food to arrive. The friendly waitress laid our table with a smile and we sat wondering what to expect in this nicely decorated, welcoming pub that for some reason was devoid of customers. When our meals finally arrived - wow, what a shock! Not only were they so beautifully presented, they were delicious. My wife's salmon was expertly baked and sat astride a potato cake that she said was a scrumptious bubble and squeak combination. Warm tomato chutney delicately covered the salmon with two small vine tomatoes in support. Her separate dish of carrots and green beans were a delight. She raved about her lunch all the way home. As for my curry, it certainly was home made. Generous amounts of tender chicken in a mouth watering masala sauce - I almost licked the plate when my naan bread was finished. As for the rice - so light and fluffy, beautifully cooked. The total bill - £21

Our plates empty, we left the Kings Head almost feeling guilty that we were leaving a place with no other guests enjoying such fine food. The waitress said 'it was a quiet day'. I do hope they do not have many more quiet days - the excellent food needs to be enjoyed by many more people. If I lived in Leominster, a nearby village or even in Worcester, I'd be a regular visitor. All I can say is, if YOU live within relatively easy travelling distance of the Kings Head Pub, go there today!

2  Thank Paul B
Paula H, Owner at Kings Head Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Wow, what a review, thank you for taking the time to comment. It seems that our trip advisor commentators manage to catch us in quiet times! Again thank you.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

We had been recommended this lovely inn. It was a very quiet Tuesday evening when we went for first time. What a lovely find. Only one other person was there for a meal when we arrived, an no-one else came to eat. Despite that we were treated to a lovely meal and we enjoyed it all very much, giving a special accolade to both the starters and desserts that were really special.

Paula H, Owner at Kings Head Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment and review us. Hopefully if you try us again there will be a few more customers in (we prefer it that way as well)!