“I wouldn't keep my dog here !”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Garden Lodge Hotel

Garden Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Letchworth B&B and Inns
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“I wouldn't keep my dog here !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

I Booked for 3 nights online the night before, so did not read the reviews here. Got there after long day at work to book in. Manager insisted he needed my payment for three nights there and then. Was shown up a steep staircase then another even steeper stair into a single loft room (there is 5ft clearance on the stair by the way) cracking my head on the 5ft door. The room was tiny, dank, freezing, smelt of damp and there were patches of mould. The walls, carpet and curtains were filthy, the walls a mix of squashed insects, mould and what looked like snot. I asked the manager (who brings a new definition to the word 'inept') for a full refund and he refused, saying he had turned people away that day. I said I would stay one night but demanded a refund for the next 2. Again he refused, even though I reminded him he had people 'queuing up' to get in. I asked why then, Had I not turned up at all, their policy would have charged me for one night, did I have to pay for three ? His answer was 'well, you have paid now haven't you'. My final card was telling him I would write the worst review he'd seen. His response 'we have bad reviews, we are often full' was unbelievable and I told him as much. I very reluctantly stayed the night as I had an important meeting early the next day, but got up at 5:30am so I could get out. All day I have stunk of damp and have had the worst cough. The place is an absolute nightmare. DO NOT STAY HERE EVER. Sleep in your car, find an empty doorway, or stay awake, but do not stay here.

I only wish I had read these reviews before booking. They are true in every sense. The place needs closing down.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Pman222

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

One night stay here, and while expectations were low due to previous TA reviews I suppose you do get what you pay for from the cheapest "hotel" in the area.

Rooms are basic, clean. Bed was comfortable, but other room furniture is pretty terrible and heating is fairly poor. Staff were friendly and helpful (found us an extra heater).

Would stay for a flying visit for simply somewhere to sleep again if need be, would not recommend for anything else.

Curry house smells good though!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Letchworth hotels

Newbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012 via mobile

Well I was after a cheap hotel for the night before an interview in stevenage. I thought well, take a punt and its, only forty pounds.

This hotel is the most, decrepit flea pit I've ever stayed in. The room was mouldy, cold and stank of cigarette smoke. The solution of course was a can of Febreeze perched on the edge of the nearly falling apart wardrobe.

Given the state of the room, would you really want to eat at the, restaurant downstairs? Nope thought not!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Roubaix01
Swindon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

The walls received some water damage which has been left thus exposing the plaster board. They have cheaply covered up some wall damage with paint. The TV was tiny and the wires leading to it on display and everywhere.
The bathroom floor tiles were broken, leaving it dangerous. The bath/shower converter 'pull' was broken after the first use (I had a shower), when my boyfriend tried to it was stuck. I tried to do the same as I did for my shower and I slipped and cut myself - they would have found blood on their towels as there was a lot of bleeding.
The beds were lumpy, and the pillows were cheap and rubbish.

But worst of all, and this is the PRIMARY COMPLAINT is that the boiler room must have been underneath us because it was humming for the first couple of hours very loudly. We thought, as their was a restaurant underneath, it was the extractor fan.
However, when it was past midnight and the constant on/off of the boiler noise every 5 minutes was still keeping me awake, I realised this noise was not going away at all.
I managed to get a few hours sleep, and awoke to the same noise.
How can they rent a room like this out?
How can the outside be so well maintained and do nothing to the inside.
It was clean and warm but that was it. Water was luke warm at best, and the room was cold when we entered.

They struggled to find our booking when we arrived, it was almost as if they weren't bothered about the people staying and only interested in the restaurant.
If that is so, don't let people stay.
They will also be receiving a letter of complaint from me, and so will the standards authority, as another comment mentions, they should not be allowed to trade like this.
And certainly not at those prices, hostel prices maybe, but not as a hotel. Travelodge is same price but 10 times the quality.
Lesson learned, never going back.
Please head my words and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: none of them. definately avoid room 5 unless you have the ability to sleep under any condition.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jammycsg
lecthworth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

just moved in had a big group of friends over to have drinks and see the restaurant round the corner - we where asked to be quite, after the other guests did not like us having fun - this is such a shame staff really nice but manamgemnt let it down looking after the others - i know we spent morein the hour we spent there tham the rest spent on there out fits , meal and cars!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank andywindebank
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

This place has got to be the most foulest, gut retching place i have ever stepped foot in with a manager that makes Basil Faulty look like a saint! we booked on line as had a meeting in the area and had to be there early have done this many times and have stayed in all sorts of places, some better than others but never, ever been mislead by a write up or photo's of a "hotel" that on arriving looked like it was shut down! we could not gain entry, as all doors locked, we rang a bell after a short while decided to leave when a young man appeared and let us in, on paying (which on hindsight should of asked to see the room first!) was told where our room was, when we entered gone was the strong smell of curry which was smelt downstairs replaced by the stench of urine and mould, t.v was hanging of the wall and the hair-drier had it's plug cut off. when returning to the reception, found the young man had done a" Houdini" and was horrified to find we were locked in the place! on shouting for a good few minutes, the young man appeared from behind a locked door, we told him we wanted to leave and have a refund due to being mislead into believing this was a "hotel" he phoned his manager who was rude and aggressive made no apologies and refused a refund we decided to leave as felt unsafe fearing for our safety in event of a fire as all doors were locked by key and not released in an emergency, we walked around the back to see that our fears were founded as the fire escape at the back was blocked by old urine stained mattresses and old wooden bedroom furniture these were also piled up by the back of the kitchen of the Indian restaurant then to our horror saw movement in which two rats ran out of a hole in one of the mattresses and went through a hole which i assumed lead into the kitchen! letters are following to the local council and trading standards!

Room Tip: preferably in another hotel far away from this filth invested hovel!
Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank jax49_12
Hertfordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

I booked a couple of my employees into this hotel through laterooms.com for an overnight stay, during a 4 day delivery run around the country. There was only one twin room left at the time, and no rooms at Zeus in Baldock, or The Broadway in Letchworth, where they normally stay in this area. So I had to book it there and then.

Unfortunately I had to reschedule the delivery run, so I called to cancel the room, explaining that I would be calling back the following day to rebook for the following week. I was told that there would be no refund at all, as they still had to pay their commision to laterooms.com. Now I fully understand that I wouldn't get a full refund (although Zeus do give full refunds). But considering that they still had two days to fill the room, which shouldn't be a problem with other hotels in the area booked up. Then this would mean that they were being paid for the room twice.

I told them that I often needed rooms in the area for business, and that I would never use them again. I then received a phone call from the manager, saying that he would give me a discount for a room the following week. So they were being paid for the first room twice, and then they wanted me to book again, at a small discount....not a chance. They stayed at Zeus the following week.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letchworth
Mercure Letchworth Hall
purplehotel Baldock
#3 of 4 in Baldock
Premier Inn Hitchin Town Centre Hotel
Days Inn Stevenage North

Been to Garden Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!