“Carving Up A Great Stay”
Review of The Broadway Hotel

The Broadway Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Letchworth
West Midlands
“Carving Up A Great Stay”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Spent a very comfortable night at this friendly hotel. My evening meal was from the hotel's carvery and it was superb, the best carvery meal I have ever had. The beef melted in my mouth! I can see why the carvery here is so renowned.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dorienne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Gaillard, France
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Arrived to find small reception area at end of bar. Access to rooms was a nightmare, through dining tables and people in bar and restaurant, small dirty lift or stairs. Struggled to get through to access lift. Room reasonable but needs redecorating and window in bathroom, full of mould and unable to open. Very, very tired hotel. Staff friendly and helpful but very few staff, seems to be run on just a few foreigners and odd British. Asked for a lighter quilt, room also stuffy and noisy. Maid eventually caught us following day to ask if the throw was for us! Room not cleaned until nearly mid day. Breakfast was a nightmare, no trays to put your breakfast on, items of cooked breakfast missing, no butter, continually chasing one staff for the rest of our cooked breakfast by which time the food we had was cold. There seemed to be just one person cooking for everyone, bacon running in fat, scrambled egg solid. Parking, you had to give your registration or get a sixty fine pound fine, notices small and nothing said. Only knew. Because of friend telling me. Would not go again.

Room Tip: Stay in nearby Baldock, much better.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pam M
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Booked a meal , a room and an evenings entertainment with the Soul Man. What a night!
Food was excellent, entertainment 1st class and the hotel staff friendly.
Room was fairly basic but very good for the price. Would stay again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ann0ying0range
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a one night stay at The Broadway. We have stayed here 3 times over the past few years when attending family birthday and anniversary parties. Over this period it has become obvious that The Broadway is not standing the test of time.

A number of small faults haven't been dealt with as they should have been over the years and these are now merging to become one big one. Old single glazed windows that rattle in the wind, are draughty and let the outside noise in. Wear and tear around the fixtures and fittings, sometimes quite heavy. The more of this type of fault that is obvious without having to look for it, the more you find when you do look, if you know what I mean.

On this occasion we stayed as part of a family group. We checked in and, as always, gave the room a quick inspection. On turning down the duvet we found that although the bottom sheet has been washed and ironed there was a thin streak of blood on it. I called to report this to the receptionist, and 2 minutes later he was there to change the bedding. He was very apologetic and brought in new linen.

Unfortunately, the replacement sheets he brought were stained as well, and when he removed the original sheet from the bed, this revealed a larger blood stain on the mattress cover. At this point the receptionist suggested we be moved to another room as he wanted to close this one to be properly serviced. We were shown to another room but on checking the bed here we found further dirty sheets.

At this point the receptionist called the Manager. When he arrived, he too was very apologetic. Both he and the receptionist were looking very embarrassed by this point, and the Manager explained that he would be taking the issue up with the cleaning staff. Then together with the receptionist he stripped the bed and fitted clean linen.

While things like this do annoy me, I am not one to rant at people who are not directly responsible for the problem, and who do everything they can to sort the problem out. However I do make my feelings known to see how well the problem is dealt with. On this occasion I was pleased with the quick action that was taken, and that a few minutes later we were told that we would have £25 deducted from our bill.

We did not eat in the hotel that day, but other members of our group who had arrived earlier did have lunch and told us they were very please with it. Breakfast was a buffet. I am never happy to discover this in hotels as the hot food is never up to the standard of a fresh cooked breakfast. Buffets can easily suffer from the problem where, when there are not many people eating at the same time, the food dries out when left for a while. This was the case here, although fried and poached eggs were cooked to order. It was OK but only just.

You may be wondering why we continue to stay here as there are other hotels in the surrounding area? The simple answer is that we needed to be in the centre of town and this is the only hotel there. The cynic in me might argue that this is the reason for the problems with the hotel. Why spend more money on it than you absolutely need to if people can't go anywhere else? I hope that this isn't the case.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank David H
sunderland
Reviewed 24 January 2014

my wife and myself stayed in this hotel weekend of 17 january 2014 the hotel is very clean and comfortable, the room was large and the twin beds were very comfortable, a very good help yourself buffet breakfast was very good. i encounted two small problems one with the toaster which took me three goes to get right and the room on a night was too hot while in bed but i slightly opened the window and problem solved, i have no worrys about reccomending this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Me and my Boyf went to the broadway for dinner and we had a really nice starter selection but it was all downhill from there.

We were told there was pies and lasagne for a vegetarian option and then when we went up it was lasagne only and my Boyf is allergic to fairy so he couldn't have a main. He decided to just go for the veg but it was dismal. The sweet corn was over cooked and crispy, the Yorkshire was brittle and crispy, the lasagne was vile, the potatoes were also grim and the salad bar was laughable.

The roadway is a nice place to go for a drink and is probably better if you eat corpse or want to order from the menu but the carvery is terrible :(

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rusty1987
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

I decided against the traditional carvery option and instead shared a few dishes with friends. The nachos were fantastic- plenty of topping and the chilli was obviously homemade not out of a tin like you find in many places in this price range. Prawn cocktail, Camembert and mushrooms also good and a decent side portion too. Pudding was very good- I had a strawberry sundae. Although strawberries were a little cold and a bit hard they were fresh which is always fantastic. Ice cream was good too- not bland at all. Very tasty. Drinks were good too- I had soda water and lime and there was plenty of lime which again you don't get everywhere! Staff were friendly and I must say both "Tasha" and "Natalie" were a delight to speak to and were friendly yet professional. I would go again for sure!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letchworth
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Needham House Hotel
Needham House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Little Wymondley
Templars Hotel and Carvery

Been to The Broadway Hotel? Share your experiences!