“Wonderful!”

Little Hallingbury Mill
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

On June 27th 2014, I had the pleasure of getting married at this wonderful venue. My husband and I had a wonderful day. Every detail went perfectly to plan, with a massive thanks to maranda and Richard for taking care of everything. As every bride does I worried about the day but maranda was on hand to keep me calm and Richard to make everything run like clockwork. Many of our guests said how wonderful the food was and about the fantastic hospitality. I know one person has complained, but check their other reviews! They enjoy complaining. Thank you all at hallingbury mill!!!!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank cheryl w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

i have been staying here every week both on business and with the family for over a year and would not go anywhere else in this area. The proprietors are friendly and welcoming and will always try to help. the rooms are basic but the bed is good quality and ensures a really good nights sleep.
the food is excellent and the hotel caters for Coeliac's with a broad menu.
The building is unique and set in beautiful surroundings within easy reach of trains to London or the airport.

Room Tip: All the rooms are being refurbished and Miranda is putting her personal flair into making them feel...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I had a bad feeling about this place ever since I tried to book it. The first time I attempted was by phone,I was told that they were very busy and that they would call me back(i am still waiting).I called again 2 weeks later and they took my details, quoted £50 B&B and promised to email me confirmation( I am still waiting).
On arrival there were issues on finding my reservation, but it was sorted after 15 minutes,We were then shown our room,small was an understatement,but being in the military I am used to this type of accommodation and at the end of the day we only needed somewhere to put our head down and I will say the bed was comfy.

All was well until breakfast time, at approx 0915 we arrived at the breakfast area, the place was a tip,dirty crockery all over the place,no clean cups or cutlery laid out. After 10 minutes the chef (who was obviously flapping)stuck his head out of the door and said they had ran out of beans and Mushrooms,as an afterthought he asked who wants breakfast, 4 of us replied that we did. I then asked him for two sets of cutlery,toast and some tea. He produced the cutlery and a single pot of tea,bearing in mind that they was no clean cups,milk or sugar on the table. The first couple has their breakfast served follow by a single breakfast for my wife.15 minutes later I was still waiting and their was no staff to complain to. 10 minute later the manager decided to come upstairs and started clearing the mess. I asked him where my breakfast was and he rudely replied that I should have spoke to someone(like who?I had seen no one but the chef,where was your staff ,they should have had this tip cleared up). Amazingly I still had no breakfast and never did.
On booking out I said I would not be paying for the non event breakfast,he apologised and said he would not charge my wife for breakfast either, magnanimously he said the charge would be £50, I knew this was wrong but I had not proof of the initial quote.
On return to my home location,I rang my friend who stayed in the room next to me on the same night, he was charged £50 for his wife and himself with breakfast included.
I have emailed this place twice,however he has not had the moral courage or integrity to reply:

Copy of my email below.:

Good Evening

I recently stayed at the mill 27th / 28th and as you are aware my breakfast or the toast that I ordered failed to materialise. Because of this you gave me a reduced bill of £50, this was to cover the breakfast that I did not have, as a gesture of goodwill you stated that you would not charge for my wifes breakfast either.
I was taken a little back on this as I was sure the price I was initially given before I booked was £50.00 B&B, however I did not have my phone to check this in situ. To follow on I spoke to my friend who also stayed the night,he told me that the price you charged him was £50.00,this included a full breakfast for both of them.
So my question is why you have charged me the full price,when I took your integrity as the price you gave me was reduced due to the lack of service.

I look forward to your quick reply.

Room Tip: Get written proof of the room costs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank ihatethiefs64
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here after a wedding and although it was a bit far from the venue it was the perfect place to recover. We went for a nice walk along the canals and truly appreciated the size of the room and the amazingly comfortable bed, not to mention the super fluffy duvet. Though the testing of the fire alarm at 10:30 am was a littel disrupting.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Very friendly people and they would make u feel like home. They're available at any time and there is free wifi in the room. my staying was for 2 nights and 3 days to see London and it was great! Away from the city and relaxin! Near the train station to catch the train to London. spa and massage available. Near the airport so u cant miss ur flight. Very comfortable beds! They will supply u with a phone plug :) if u dont have one. And make drinks for u even if they dont know it ;) i had a great time and like being around helpful people that can make the trip a lot more smoother. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Room Tip: Top rooms are the best i guess :p
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
essex
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had lovely meal. Staff and owners so friendly and welcoming. Some great and beautiful changes bunting, flowers, bike, furniture. Has a lovely friendly , warm and romantic setting. The venue and settings are amazing the best along river stort.
Looking forward to next visit.

• Stayed June 2014
London
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We docked our liveaboard boat in at the adjacent drydock and could not live on it as we had to do major renovations, so I booked us in the mill for five days.
Was not expecting much as we heard the proprietors were not boater friendly. But by the time our booking came round we discovered that Miranda and Rich had taken over the business.
We were made to feel so welcome. Granted the place is being renovated and updated, but the mattress was new and comfortable. The food is good, honest, pub type food, we especially liked the fish and chips with proper home made chips.
The location is just lovely, this is a genuine mill with all the original workings in a picturesque bit of countryside.
This hotel is not a business type 'bed factory' it is quirky friendly and homely and we look forward to revisiting for fish and chips in the garden in future.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Down Hall Country House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,611 reviews
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Manor Of Groves Hotel
Manor Of Groves Hotel
#1 of 1 in High Wych

Been to Little Hallingbury Mill? Share your experiences!