The Kerr House
US$58
TripAdvisor
US$100
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 October 2007

Tthe Kerr House, wellness spa, is located along the banks of a winding river in Grand Rapids, Ohio. The Kerr House is a grand Victorian mansion, full of antiques, relaxing treatments, massage, healing touch, and yoga. From when the caring and health-smart staff awakens you in the morning with breakfast-in-bed to the dinnertime entertainment, every sense is stimulated and wellness prevails. Spa cuisine was delicious and unusual, designed to help to speed up my middle age metabolism, and nourish my body. Yoga classes for this beginner were paced to my level of ability. Educational CD ROM's and books were available, so I could take home this great new way to keep my body young. Staff from the gardener to the yoga master were delightful, helpful and compassionate. They made this week's journey into one's inner self for healing the beginning of a new, more healthy lifestyle. I even lost 5 lbs!

Be sure to walk down the hill from Kerr House to Grand Rapid's downtown, and visit the many small shops. Meander or jog down the paths along the river for a great nature experience, with water fowl and other wildlife enjoying the nearby dam. I highly recommend the Kerr House!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank gjensen
Reviewed 26 September 2007

I had never been to a health spa or retreat until this past week. I went with my mother and sister for the three day package. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed the treatments so much. I felt pampered from the entire staff. They were all wonderfully sweet and caring.
The owner, Laurie was so knowledgeable about health, nutrition, and Yoga, which she taught. I will continue to do Yoga and use the information I received from Laurie for the rest of my life. I can't say enough about the retreat/spa, except we all hope to return soon.

Mary Whitelaw
Dublin, Ohio

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank millieohio
Reviewed 17 September 2007

This is not a traditional spa. It is a "health" retreat. Laurie Hostetler, the owner, tells guests that they really can "improve with age and enjoy life to the fullest" and after I left the Kerr House I felt like she was right.
This is not a posh spa. The house accomodates eight guests and those guests must share bathrooms. The antiques which furnish the beautiful Queen Anne Victorian are quaint but certainly not Park Avenue. The body treatments are good but you can find body treatments at many places. I have to say it's the interaction with Laurie, the owner, that makes this spa a stand-out. Laurie leads all of the yoga sessions, she eats meals with her guests and she takes a marked interest in their wellness. Most of my past spa experiences have been solitary but at the Kerr House I felt like Laurie not only cared about our spiritual development, she spent a good portion of her time gently instructing us on stress-reduction, handling difficult moments in our lives, improving our attitudes and visualizing what we want out of life.
I have been to many top spas including the Greenbrier, the Homestead, Amelia Island Plantation and the new one (forgot the name!) on Kiawah Island. They are fancier but I left feeling like I had just been run through the assembly line. I didn't feel that way on Friday night when I arrived at the Kerr House and Laurie took us on a tour of the house or when she advised us on the benefits of yoga or brought in her friend the graphologist to analyze our handwriting (which was so fun!). Laurie asked us to tell her our goal for the weekend when we arrived on Friday night and by Sunday I was able to tell her that not only had I achieved my goal of relaxation, I also felt like I had learned things that--unlike mere spa treatments--actually last: healthy eating habits, yoga, creative visualization and probably the most important thing: maintaining a good attitude despite life's hurdles.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank kfo24
Reviewed 18 April 2006

Prepare to be enchanted and cosseted! I was a guest at The Kerr House’s original opening week 25 years ago. It was the most pampered gift of “receiving” I have ever experienced in my life complete with breakfast served in bed. Laurie Hostetler has created the most exquisite, memorable and healing spa retreat anyone could ever imagine in a unique timeless setting. My body sung praises with daily walks, and yoga sessions that are tailored individually followed by deep relaxation.

Laurie also provides fascinating and inspiring expertise on many subjects in these daily sessions. My soul was soothed and my spirit soared in this Victorian jewel. The staff is sensitive and caring, and second to none; top professionals provide superb services with attention to every detail your heart desires. Laurie and her staff are devoted to each guest’s wellness. I felt replenished and nourished on every level. The Kerr House provides hospitality and generosity at its finest, the moment you enter door and experience the splendor of stained glass, which is breathtaking.

Since only a maximum or six to eight guests are accommodated at one time, one feels like a very special and honored guest. The fresh cuisine is heavenly and presented on different exquisite china each evening in the oak dining room (so beautiful I’m sure museums would love to have it for their collection from that era). Laurie is a lively conversationalist who has a wonderful wit and sense of humor so meal times are stimulating and fun. There is often a harpist playing in the background, which adds to the deep sense of harmony that pervades The Kerr House. After dinner, guests are in for a treat with entertainment that can be life changing and inspired.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all my visits to the Kerr House. I was there when Good Morning America came to film a feature presentation. It is a glowing reflection of Laurie and her outstanding, shiny staff that many, many guests have returned 20 and 30 times for weeklong visits. That speaks for itself on how memorable guest experiences are at Laurie's Kerr House.

• Stayed: April 1999
10  Thank Sharon W
A TripAdvisor Member
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 10 October 2005

I recently had a girls weekend at The Kerr House in Grand Rapids, OH. It had been rated in many magazines as a top spa, so I assumed it would be an amazing experience. However, it ws probably my worst travel experience ever. 1.) There was a community bathroom for nine women to share with one shower and two restrooms- this fact wasn't mentioned in any of the reviews or on their website. 2.) The spa treatments were extremely low rate. For the herbal wrap, they gave you a sheet drenched in hot tea and were told to wrap it around yourself in the sauna. The massages were poor. The products were not professional salon products. All the lotions and oils seemed like they were from vats that you could buy at Wal-Mart for a dollar. 3.) The food was terrible and we had to often go into town to eat because we were so hungry. I am an amateur cook and I could have made better meals than what we were served. An example of our breakfast was; one cold poached egg, one half slice of dry, burnt wheat toast and apple juice. 4.) Cleanliness- The community bathroom often had dirty towels covering the counter and floors. The spa treatment staff was also the kithcen staff making food and dumping the trash. 5.) A spa is supposed to be a private getaway and we were forced to have communal dinners with the other guests and the owner who directed all conversations. No one ever asked us if we needed anything or how we were doing. When we left we did let the owner know how extremely disappointed we were and she listened but did not offer any solutions. I have been on many vacations including spas and I cannot stress enough how unrewarding this experience was. We each paid $750.00 for a place that should have cost about $250-300.
Tiffany Bridges