“Curate's Egg”

Premier Inn South Mimms/Potters Bar Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in South Mimms
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and this was the least satisfactory of all. It's a budget hotel and you get what you pay for, but the restaurant is usually pretty good. However, on this occasion I had booked to dine at 19:00, placed my order at 19:05 and then sat for 45 minutes without either receiving my order or being told why there was a delay. At this point I got up from the table and told the Restaurant Manager to cancel my order as I was not waiting any longer. I then went next door to a transport cafe, which supplied a most excellent meal about ten minutes after ordering. I also complained at reception and was told that a Manager would be in touch very quickly. This was on Friday - it is now Wednesday and no Managerial call has been received. Not impressed!
The room itself was adequate, but with very poor lighting for reading and no hook on the back of the door in the bathroom, which had a shower without power.
Saturday breakfast was excellent, which was what I have come to expect.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
richardravera, Guest Relations Manager at Premier Inn South Mimms/Potters Bar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Regarding your recent stay with us i would like to apologise for the obvious lack of response regarding the service you reived in our resteraunt. If something has not been to standard during your stay it is a duty to inform you and we are aware that we have let you down on this occasion.
In response to this i have been able to find your reservation and have refunded you on behalf of our Good Night Garauntee. (This should be credited within 3-5 days.)

We hope this goes some way to restoring faith in our brand, and i will ensure that your comments are used to improve our dinner service and managerial response in the future.
Therefore we are very gratful for your valuabe feedback.

If you have any queries please don't hesitate to contact us on our direct number 01707 624800 or southmimms.pti@whitbread.com

Premier Inn South Mimms

Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed 22 February 2014

When we arrived to our room we found out the sofa bed was not done (we booked a family room) but staff very quickly sorted it out and with a smile. We stayed before there as we were surprised how quiet it was considering being so close to the M25. This hasn't changed and we had a very good night. Breakfast was very nice and affordable, in all good value for money. I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
richardravera, Guest Relations Manager at Premier Inn South Mimms/Potters Bar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank for your feedback regarding your recent stay.
We are sorry to hear that your room was not set up properly prior to your arrivial but are happy our reception team managed to respond to this for you.
Our reception team is avalaible 24 hours a day and are always happy to help.
We are glad to see that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and we would be delighted to alocate you a similar, if not the same room in the future. Please note our direct number below if you would like to do so.
Thank you once again for your comments. It is thanks to feedback such as yours that we can achieve and maintain a brilliant level of customer service.

01707 624800

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed here for just shy of 2 weeks & based on my previous experience of staying in 4-5* hotels all over Europe, I was pleasantly surprised at the high level of personability, attentiveness & professionalism of all the staff.

I was made to feel welcome by all staff, including reception, bar & domestic workers. The only downside was no discount for such a long stay & outages of wifi access.

The staff I would like to give my personal thanks to are Ben, Laura, Ryan, Bob, Salvatorie plus a few others I forget the name of.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fecent review regarding your stay with us.

We are very flatered to hear that we have been able to compete with some of your best hotel experiences across europe. We will be passing your praise onto our members of staff this week and will use your views to maintain our consistency. It is thanks to your feedback that we can do this so we are very grateful for your feedback.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

What was good;
Able to find the hotel with ease and checking in was simple enough without any cues. A large free car park is available. Our room and en-suite was thoroughly clean. I liked that there was an option of a bath within the en-suite as well as a shower. We decided to dine in the hotel restaurant for dinner, the menu is basic and consists of burgers, steaks, curry's, pizzas and pasta mainly. We ordered the filo prawns and duck parcels for starter along with rump steak with bacon rarebit and a curry for main. All was at a satisfactory level. Our bill for dinner came to about £45 including two alcoholic drinks. The amount of pillows within the room was lovely, along with the large duvet for the bed. The large freeview tv was also a nice touch. Surprisingly, due to the location of the hotel, it was extremely quiet. There are handy vending machines placed in corridors within the hotel, including a Ben and Jerry's ice cream machine, chocolates, crisps and drinks as well as personal items (for the forgetful) such as shaving kits, wash kits and condoms also available 24/7 from the machines. The breakfast was absolutely brilliant, everything you could want plus more. There was a hot buffet consisting of bacon, sausages (lovely), hash browns, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, scrambled and fried eggs. We were also informed that if we wanted an omelette or poached/boiled eggs this could be made on request by the chef. There was also a selection of cereals, yoghurt, bread, fresh croissants and crumpets with many jams and Marmite as well as chocolate chip muffins! 3 types of juice available, orange, apple and cranberry plus ice cold water and a selection of teas and coffee with a variety of milk.

What was bad;
There aren't any lifts within this hotel, which becomes a pain when you have drag suitcases up continuous flights of stairs! Our double room was very cramped (319), with about 1ft of space between the end of the bed and the dressing table, meaning no space for your companion to walk past at all once you were sitting on the dressing table chair. I prefer bathrooms with windows for obvious reasons - these bathrooms do not have windows and the extractor fan does not work well. We informed a member of staff that we had a table for dinner booked at 7pm. It then took 3 members of staff to umm and arr over this, complaining amongst themselves in front of us, that the staff at reception always overbook the restaurant. (Extremely unprofessional behaviour) They eventually decided we were worthy enough to be seated. Although our service by staff at dinner was satisfactory, it was clear that other dinners disagreed. All around us people were raising their hands and having to repeatedly call over waitresses to ask where their drinks and/or food was. One man was observed to stand up from his table and leave his family to walk to the bar in order to get their drinks himself as the staff were taking too long. Baring in mind the restaurant was only a fraction full. Unfortunately our sleep was slightly uncomfortable due to the incredibly soft mattress. The bacon ran out during breakfast and it took the chef 15 minutes to cook another batch - which left the rest of our breakfast cold! The main thing that bothered me during this stay is that at around 9pm we were walking along the corridor and had to step over a large amount of chips, salad and other food substances that a guest had dropped on the floor. At 11.30am the next day as we were departing the hotel, this food was still left lying there on the carpet! I had even witnessed members of staff walk over it carelessly myself! Staff appear lazy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the greenery - not the car park! Ours was overlooking a lovely green space and...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay.

We are pleased to hear that you were happy with our breakfast and bedroom facilities and enjoyed a peaceful night sleep in one of our brand new Hypnos beds.
However, we would also like to apologise fo the service you recieved at dinner.
We can ensure you that your views will be used to improve our level of cervice in the future.

Thank you once again or your feedback. It is through this that we can strive to making our guest experiences perfect.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stay at Premier Inn's all over the country every week. I have been staying at this one extra couple of weeks for the last three years. I'm a real fan of Premier Inn, it's a nice standard you know what you get. There are two things they have to get right bedroom and food. The bedrooms fine but the restaurant at his one has crashed. It's been hit and miss over the years, sometime slow, sometimes fine, sometimes too friendly (after last years customer service training). I've turned up tonight to find out the bar has stopped serving food (to help them speed up in the restaurant). They only downside of this is they still only have half the restaurant open so the wait is ridiculous. The manager said there is nothing they can do, it's come from head office. So please head office invest some time and money (no more customer service courses though) and get this place back to somewhere you can be proud of!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
richardravera, Guest Relations Manager at Premier Inn South Mimms/Potters Bar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

We are sorry to hear that you experienced a problem with our restaurant operations and can confirm that we have refunded you on behalf our our Good Night Guarantee as a good will gesture.
Your observations are correct that we have recently changed the way we operate our food service. However, it is due to recent guest feedback that we have felt it necessary to make and maintain this decision at this point.
Food we be available from the bar on certain occasions such as televised sporting events at discretion of the management. However, We have a 24 hour reception team will always be happy to book a table for you.
We do hope extend our restaurant menu to the bar in the near future as we are currently addressing our low staffing levels and it is thanks to your feedback that we are doing so. I will ensure your views are used to help this process. We are therefore very grateful for your valuable comments.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I booked the room during the sale period so for what I paid, it was OK. I wanted somewhere quiet so I could hole-up for a week and work in peace. However, if I had paid full price for my stay I wouldn't be so happy! First, the good: The room was typical Premier Inn, extremely comfortable bed and convenient fixtures and fittings. Good TV and well placed desk/kettle/tea & coffee. Next, the not-so good: my sink plug got stuck and I had a maintenance man in and out of the room all morning while trying to work (but at least it was fixed promptly). The Internet which I paid for, and was crucial to my work, stopped working for a whole day costing me some deadlines. Lastly, the downright inexcusable: The 'Thyme' restaurant! The first night, even though it was only half full, the waiter sent me away and asked me to come back half an hour later. It then took 2.5 hours to serve me 3 courses (BTW, I am not a slow eater!). The next night was similar, so I gave up and started taking a 20-minute bus ride to the closest supermarket and bring packed lunched back to my room. The Hotel is situated in the middle of a service station and truck stop in the middle of nowhere. However, a quick bus journey in the direction of St Albans will take you past a Sainsbury's Hypermarket in London Colney - my lifesaver!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
richardravera, Guest Relations Manager at Premier Inn South Mimms/Potters Bar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very grateful for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel.

Reviewing guest experiences is how we try to improve our service and I'm sorry to hear that you experience some problems in our restaurant.
We do sometimes work towards table bookings only, which may have caused an initial wait for your table. However, the wait for your food is inexcusable and is something we are dealing with.
We have re-addressed our management of busy shifts thanks to feedback such as yours and as a result have decided to reduce our main menu availability from our bar. This allows us to control the amount of orders we receive, therefore allowing us to put greater emphasis and care into providing a good experience for guests in our restaurant.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we will ensure this experienced is used to improve our service on the future.
We hope this goes some way to restoring some faith in our hotel and we hope to see you at South Mimms again in the future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

on arrival the room was clean and tidy, very helpful staff, the were just a few slight problems i.e only 2 teabags for 2 people, only 1 bath towel for 2 people, following morning wanted a shower but was'nt working,and the matteress was hard, we had breakfast no jugs for milk to make tea, no tongs to pick up bacon and sausages and no knifes on table.
Richard on reception was extremerly helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
richardravera, Guest Relations Manager at Premier Inn South Mimms/Potters Bar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay, and it was nice to meet you in person last weekend. I am sorry that there were some issues regarding your room, however we are using your feedback to improve this in the future. We have now fixed the shower problem with our maintenance team and it is thanks to your feedback that we have been able to do so. I am glad that we were able to use our Good Night guarantee as a good will gesture and as a way of restoring some faith in our brand. We hopefully look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Premier Inn South Mimms/Potters Bar

Travelodge Borehamwood
Travelodge Borehamwood
#5 of 6 in Borehamwood
Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood

Been to Premier Inn South Mimms/Potters Bar Hotel? Share your experiences!