“bad experience”

Ranked #6 of 15 Takeley B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“bad experience”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We stayed for one night, in June, prior to our holiday flight. On arrival we rang the owner, they also have a pub nearby, and he came and showed us our rooms and the house. We were leaving at 07.45am the next morning and were expecting a nice cooked breakfast before our journey so were disappointed when he said there would be cereals, bread and coffee left out for us to help ourselves in the morning. He then went back to the pub. The rooms were very nice and we did enjoy a lovely meal at the pub in the evening. However, in the morning there was no hot water and the showers was freezing cold, the house was deserted and there was no one about who could help. The owners also live at the house and it is a typical family kitchen with pots in the sink and so on, I had to look for a cup to make a coffee but felt like an intruder looking through the cupboards. My daughters had cereals but commented that the packs were out of date. This is not what I expected of a bed and breakfast and under no circumstances would I stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank wends8
lindawilk, Owner at The White House, responded to this review, 10 November 2012
Dear Guest - I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us back in June and sorry that it has taken you so long to inform us of your "bad experience".
We clearly state on our website and the literature in the rooms plus I would have informed you on your arrival that we serve a cooked breakfast between the hours of 0800-1000. For guests leaving anytime earlier than that we provide a substantial continental breakfast consisting of cereal, fruit platter, yoghourts, toast, pastries etc.
I can only think that the guests that had left earlier must have used all the coffee cups which would account for the washing up in the sink.
I am sorry to hear that your shower was not working correctly, I cannot think what that could have been as we have had no other complaints and we pride ourselves that we can provide constant hot water for all our guests, from our very ellaborate heating system which we installed when we first set up the BB.
As you can see from the rest of our reviews that we do provide a very high satisfaction rate.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Great, down from Scotland seeing friend, everything you needed, clean, well equipped and lovely people. Would stay again! Just steer well clear of the lion and lamb pub! Food was shizen!!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank The_takeley2
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Great character property, all the mod cons, free internet access, saterlite TV ensuite double and a breakfast to dye for ... Fresh Fruit, cereal, juices toast and oh course an amazing full english breakfast. great family atmosphere .... home away from home ... Very spacious rooms evening with a desk in case you have work to do . Off road parking secluded with lovely garden. This place is a real gem.

If you do want dinner Mike and Linda also own the Pub The Lion and Lamb five minutes down the road which does GREAT food. Both the Pub and B&B are great value for money. I have stayed here many times and to be honest I always use The White House as my base for business when I'm in the part of the UK ... even if I need to to get to my next meeting.

Couple of useful points only five minutes from Stansted Airport (luckily the house is not below the flight path) and they run a car service to and from the pub just in case the weather is bad .. or you fancy a few beers at the end of a long day.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice .....
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MJW-AMS
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Stayed here in April 2012 on the way to Denmark mid week. I have always stayed in airport hotels before, and took a chance on a B & B. What a good choice, this place is really beautiful, rooms are first class, and I felt like we were in a really high class hotel. But beyond this, the service was fantastic, the owner couple, were so helpful and genuine, something that is hard to come by these days in the hospitality trade. They also had a pub, half a mile down the road, "the Lion and Lamb" and the service and atmosphere was exactly the same there. Its great to see a small family run establishment, competing so well with the monopoly hotels. I think it's in all of our interest to keep these vital businesses thriving, because if we don't, in ten years, we will all have to suffer the poor service of globalisation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jaggs155
Turku, Finland
Reviewed 1 April 2012

A wonderful level of service totally beyond all norm. Better breakfast and towels, just to mention a few details, than in top hotels. Like staying with your best friends on such a day that they for some reason want to be extra nice to you. Very convenient to Stansted airport, a 9 GBP taxi ride. This is quite rural though by a road with some traffic so you will be relying on taxis, though a bus stop is close. I don't know where the buses go, and being on business did not have the opportunity to investigate.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank trauha
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Really lovely listed property - traditional exterior, contemporary interior. The White House can be recommended on all counts - comfortable, welcoming, peaceful and not forgetting their excellent breakfasts. Whether you are just passing through Takeley or wanting to stay longer, this B&B is for you - but you may never want to leave!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank volentia
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

This is a lovely place to stay whether you are looking for pre or post flight accommodation or just for a weekend get away. my charming hosts could not do enough for me and my room was very comfortable and stylish. I will be back

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Takeley
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Novotel London Stansted Airport
Novotel London Stansted Airport
#3 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Travelodge Stansted Bishops Stortford Hotel

Been to The White House? Share your experiences!