“Pleasant lunch in the sun... 3rd time lucky!”

Grand Junction Arms
Ranked #9 of 41 Restaurants in Tring
Price range: US$10 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: View, Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A traditional pub nestling alongside the tow path of the grand union canal. You can enjoy fantastic views of the water from the garden or inside the pub , plus there's a large carpark. Use the free WiFi, read the papers, enjoy a capuccino or a three course meal. Something for everyone
Tring, United Kingdom
“Pleasant lunch in the sun... 3rd time lucky!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Since my 2 last visits to Grand Junction which were very poor and disappointing, as it's our local I thought I would try 1 last time for a positive experience. It worked! Friday lunchtime, sunny day with 18mth daughter and mother in law. Despite being quite busy, the service at the bar for a food order was quick and before I knew it, my lunch was being served. Excellent service- perfect for a hungry child. Crayfish sandwich very big & worth the price. Fish and chips massive. The waiter (a young guy) very helpful & even managed to find a giant bottle of Tabasco for my m in law. All in all despite some bad experiences, this time it was spot on. Will be venturing back :)

U.K.
“Dirty and a 40 minute wait for lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Tuesday lunchtime and very few patrons, but still we waited for 40 minutes for food! My pulled pork baguette was OK but my daughter's chicken ceasar salad was fairly unpleasant. One very young barman working so slowly he managed to create a queue at the bar out of a handful of customers. I accept that this "isn't McDonald's", but there is a limit... Understood that the chef had just left, but also the cleaner? Grubby handprints over every glass surface and huge spider's web + spider evident in the ladies' lavatory. This is a lovely pub in a great location that we have visited many, many times through several changes in ownership. It just felt unloved and sad. Perhaps come for a drink and to enjoy the canalside, but be prepared to wait at the bar and do not eat here.

1 Thank CarolineWR
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Me and my boyfriend decided to visit Tring on Wednesday evening for some food, drove passed this pub on the way. Once getting into Tring realised there actually weren't many restaurants there, jumped back in the car and headed back to the Grand Junction Arms.
From the second we pulled up we new we had made the right choice. We walked through the garden, which is beautiful! Flower beds, lots of seating and right next to the canal. We ordered drink and food at the bar. We started with the camembert to share, asked for extra bread as we know from experience restaurants can be quite stingy. I then ordered the lamb dish but asked to change the side dish to dauphinoise potato, the waitress on the bar quickly went to check this was ok and thankfully it was. My partner had the belly of pork. Food was delicious, even though we sat and ate outside, both our starter and main courses were cleared away quickly and promptly after we finished. Finished off having another drink inside.
Asked the waitress on the bar if this was a chained restaurant and she explained how it was an independent restaurant owned by a gentleman called mick, who was also working that evening in the kitchen. Being a manager in a restaurant in Milton Keynes found the whole experience lovely!
Very friendly pub with attentive staff. Will definitely be returning with friends soon !

1 Thank Jade H
Tring, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Grand Junction is unique in an area of really lovely countryside and many lovely countryside pubs. The only pub, of it's quality, that has a lovely canal side location and beautiful garden that is so pretty and welcoming. I get the need for fast food - but slow down, this isn't McDonald's! Seriously, this is a pub to go for a relaxing afternoon/evening - good beer, family friendly and good food. You might take a bit longer to wait for food on a hot sunny day but, frankly, with the number of customers, I'm amazed it manages how it does. I've been there a lot, and will continue to go back. The service is friendly and effective and, in the summer, remains so whilst dealing with incredible demand and a real buzz that only comes from a good pub. So it doesn't welcome dogs inside - personally, I'm grateful. Lot of pubs do - and that's fine for dog lovers - but I'm more comfortable having a drink and a meal without a wet nose and the smell of wet dog round my legs! Thanks for making the Grand Junction a lovely part of our local area and something to aim for on a walk.

1 Thank Ellemby
Aylesbury
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Had a fantastic Sunday afternoon in the garden. Family loved it, kids played whilst we waited for food. Was very busy & meals were a little wait but all enjoyed the roasts! The two waitresses were great with the kids choosing desert. Overall lovely experience, thanks!

1 Thank Katieferg123