“What an amazing find”

Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional public house serving well kept ales and good quality British food.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I was travelling to visit friends in London and had time to kill, so decided to stop and have a wander through Tring. I stumbled upon this Pub and decided to go in and have some lunch.

Quite often you go into local pubs/bars and they don't seam that welcoming to strangers; well not with this one. I walked in and was greeted by a very friendly barman/owner (I think his name was Bob or Rob), who showed me their menu. As it was a really sunny day Bob/Rob suggested I might sit out in the beer garden.

I went out into the beer garden with a drink in hand and waited for my food. What a great atmosphere this pub has, everyone was talking and having a good time. It is rare nowadays to see a pub so vibrant. I couldn't see anyone sitting in silence or texting their friends instead of talking to the people in front of them.

When the food came out, I wasn't disappointed. I had a pulled pork burger, which was fantastic.

Unfortunately I couldn't stay long, as had to continue on my journey, but will definitely stop by again, next time I'm in the area.

3  Thank Swampes

Reviewed 15 June 2014

A change of ownership in a pub like the KA requires a leap of faith by regulars. Fortunately the only changes made so far seem to have improved the experience - and that's not to decry the previous owners who ran a fantastic joint. I am glad it continues to offer a true pub experience with great food, a lively set of locals and no TV / music. I have nothing against either in a pub, but it's so nice to have somewhere to go that offers what the KA does - a relaxed venue in which to socialise with friends. I would just love them to open up the side buildings though - not for anything particular but to have a nose and a rummage!

2  Thank GandCtripper
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Would thoroughly recommend this pub. It has a warm and inviting atmosphere, a great selection of ales and extremely tasty food. We received personal service from a lovely barmaid who was very attentive despite the pub being very busy, not an easy task. So glad I went back and my friends were equally as impressed. Will certainly be spreading the word.

1  Thank stromadog
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Decided to try on way home and nice to find opening hours revised and now earlier than19.00 hrs pints available.....a very good change by new management.
On walking in however, I initially found myself feeling a little left out versus the gathering of locals holding the barmaids attention...whilst getting close to turning round and walking out again I was noticed....service came....she was forgiven.
Beers sampled were very good, nice temperature, well kept as has always been the case here.
Food menu looks reasonable value....with several items requiring future sampling.
"Kings Nachos" sampled.....good value
This is very much a locals pub tucked away in the back streets, but well known to beer lovers in the area.
For me its a great little pub with beer coming first and food a close second.....I would go there to drink and eat.........not eat and drink.

2  Thank Pick_E_Diner
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is our second time eating at the Kings Arms and it was a joy (1st time was horrendous). The new owners and new chef seem to really turned this place around. A lovely little pub, great cider and absolutely fabulous food.
Only minor issue was a poached egg with some raw white remaining.
We will most definitely be back.

1  Thank annie_robbo