“Great chips!”

Ranked #10 of 46 Restaurants in Tring
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a good lunch here recently. Value for money and the best chips I've had a for while!
A decent pint of Doombar and relaxing, old style pub surroundings. A good choice of local walks to boot!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Wow......what can I say. 5 of us went for lunch and the portions were huge but so cheap. I had ham, 2 eggs and chips. The ham was thick and off the bone and loads of it, 2 lovely fresh fried eggs and gorgeous homemade chips. Unfortunately I couldn't finish it all!!!! My husband and son had scampi, chips and salad, with onion rings on the side, father-in-law had haggis, chips and peas and mum-in-law had a ciabatta stuffed with fresh veg and cheese. The food was so fresh, hot and extremely yummy. We were so full we couldn't order or enjoy the super desserts on offer.....perhaps another day. The service was excellent....We will definitely visit again!!!!

4  Thank Caz1963
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Visited today,not for the first time and I am pleased the present Landlady and Landlord have not made too many changes in order to put their mark on the place.
I selected the Three cheese pie with chips and peas and it was superb but the star of my meal was the Sticky Toffee Pudding and Custard,I recommend this to any one planning to make a visit.
As a volunteer at the local nature reserve College Lake I often recommend the Moon to our visitors and always get positive feedback.
I have had issues with the Landlady but this does not detract from the excellent food and on the whole warm welcome from the staff.

1  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Under current and previous ownership, I have never had a bad meal here in 10 years. It's cheap, yes. Unpretentious, yes. But always wonderfully good value for money and enjoyable. Great beer and simple food.

My mother, who has struck off most eating houses in West Surrey and North East Hampshire, asks to go here when she visits. Praise indeed.

This place is underrated. I love it.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I went to this pub with a friend on a Tuesday lunchtime, and was surprised by the number of people eating lunches. The pub is a lovely old fashioned place, with beams and low ceilings. There were 3 good, well kept real ales, with a very friendly landlord and lady. The menu was typical local pub fare, with a reasonable standard selection, plus some specials. Main courses were in the range of £8 to £12 with good portions. My main criticism is that some of the food seemed to be of the bought in and heated up variety; for instance my fish was just like the sort you would buy in a packet from the supermarket. Having said that it was nice and hot, served quickly, and good value.

2  Thank FullboardBilly