“Not exclusive by any means” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Champneys Tring

and 1 more site!
Champneys Tring
London
“Not exclusive by any means”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed for one night in May over the weekend.
The receptionist we had was awful, we checked in at 11am as advised when booking and was told we were too early. She eventually told us we could use the spa but wouldn't allow us access to our suitcases to retrieve our swimsuits!! Luckily another member of staff interveaned and we were allowed access to our property!! After this, she told us to come back to reception at 3pm to be shown around (obviously we didn't bother). She then gave us incorrect directions to our room which had us wandering around for ages trying to find it, once we did the keys didn't work, so we had to go back to reception...
As a result of not being shown around we had to discover things such as needing to book lunch and dinner, where to go for treatments, etc ourselves.
Lunch and dinner were OK but much like what you would get in an all inclusive hotel in Tenerife, so not exclusive at all. The spa facilities, were again OK but nothing special, the room was bland and much like any other hotel. The staff were friendly and walks around the grounds were good.
The thing is, Champneys are selling high turnover, low overhead packages to the masses. This was clearly apparent as soon as I saw lunch. This is fine but don't sell it as exclusive, because it is far from it. We paid in total around £600 for a one night stay (2 people) plus treatments, snacks, coffee, etc. I thought this was steep considering the "mass produced package holiday style" stay it was.
Lastly, it wasn't romantic really, it was more for groups of middle aged women.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank woodymark2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

5star you must be kidding!.. The most basic, unfriendly shoddy spa where your expected to hand over good cash for 2star service an overnight package means you can only eat cereal for breakfast as eggs are hot and extra charges apply even tho they will not inform you what the promotion actually contains,..rooms are dusty even no hot water in the shower of a suite!..
Hotel is stuck in 1980's old fashion methods with very very basic mini treatments.
We booked a luxury day spa of 4 treatments in which we were charged for treatments booked before we even arrived, our facial was done in the dark one cream suits all, my body massage only allows one bit of your body to be massaged ie back or legs! Absolutely disgusting dirty slimy shower to wash off you scrub.
They are taking people for a ride, they never even know you've left the building
Try a six sence spa to actually be pampered because Champneys have lost their way!

Room Tip: Stay at home
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chrislouca
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

I went with my mum on the One Night Pamper deal. I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews on here, but we both thought it was a very good spa. At check-in, we were given a full run-through and walk around of the main bits. It is vast, so it takes some finding your way around! We chilled out around the pool, sauna, jacuzzi etc. We absolutely loved the outdoor jacuzzi! The pool is a very good size. I can imagine when it gets busy, it might be difficult to find a seat/lounger for your things, but it was about right when we were there. We waited in the laconium for an aqua aerobics class to finish, which isn't very relaxing with the female instructor screaming quite as loudly as she was. The only slight criticism we had was that the main pool isn't near the area where the jacuzzis, sauna and steam were, which means you have to dry and walk the other side, but that was about the most physical effort we made during our stay!
The treatments were phenomenal, and this is what I'd come back for. I stuck to my two 25 minute treatments as part of the package; mum upgraded one to 50 minutes. I had the facial and aroma wrap; I had the facial while being aroma-wrapped up, so really it felt like one long treatment, which worked well. The lady I had was very knowledgeable when I asked her some questions about my skin, and recommended treatments without being pushy or 'selling' at all (some of these were things I can do to help myself that don't cost a penny!). We both felt toally 'zenned' afterwards, which lasted the whole weekend!
Dinner was very nice. If anything, it was a bit rushed however - the starter came within 5 minutes of choosing, and the main straight after. I'd have liked to linger a bit more. But the food was very good. I particularly liked the choice at lunch the next day. The only suggestion I'd have is that those leaving the same day would be allowed a glass of wine or bubbles with lunch to toast the end of the weekend, but we were told they don't have a licence at lunchtime. Breakfast is buffet-style, and if you want anything extra (ie eggs), you have to pay for it, which is a bit cheeky!
After dinner, we went to the Drawing Room, where you're invited to 'take tea or coffee'. It was very bright, and not very inviting, so we went up to our room instead. A cosy seating area would have been nice.
Our room had a lovely garden view, and I thought it was a good standard. The only aspect that let it down was the bathroom - it was really no plusher than a Holiday Inn bathroom - bright lights, no touches of luxe, which would help to continue the spa feeling to the room, for eg if you want to indulge in a nice soak with a book, it's not the nicest environment to do so.
I must also mention the service - everyone we came across was helpful and curteous, particularly the waiting staff in the dining room. Excellent service doesn't go unnoticed.
However, overall, I was impressed, and relieved, with Champneys Tring. We're planning to go again which says it all! I'll only go on a deal though, otherwise it's extortionate for what it is. The facilities, treatments and food are the best aspects.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FoodWineHols
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

As you can see from the pictures, Tring Champneys is the most beautiful place. The reception is just to die for, tastefully decorated, friendly staff and über welcoming. We had a tour on arrival by a lovley chap giving us top tips on how to spend the weekend we had planned, short cuts around the building and even gave us some history. The rooms are great - the new garden block is peaceful and tastefully decorated with all modern hotel facilities. The staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble and they couldnt have been more accommodating. Booking treatments was easy, finding your way round was simple and booking in lunch, evening meal and breakfast was so simple. It is officially the only way to eat breakfast and dinner - in your bath robe!!!! The facilities are fantastic, well maintained and well worth the money. If you do go and get some treatments I would recommend a young lady called Kim, she was the best therapist I have ever had. Check out was simple, food was great, overall an exceptional experience from a group of people who are clearly fantastic at the job they do, oh and the full size snooker table is always worth a bash or the evening entertainment in the drawing room - if you get chance book the suite with wonderfull outdoor space and everything you ever needed! My only down side was parking was a little limited near the front of the reception entrance so needed to walk - but as I was at a health spa it seemed to be ok! If your looking for a spa get away then here is the place just totslly AMAZING - ill be going again

Room Tip: Room 55 was fantastic, nice patio with sun loungers and tale to sit at
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Watford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I have stayed at Champneys Tring on a few occaisions. Firstly with the girls. We had a divine time at the luxurious spa. The treatments we recieved were amazing, as were the grounds which surrounded the beautiful house. We had a fanstatic time, unforgetable, for all the right reasons!!! My second visit was with my husband, we needed some quaility time away from the rat race!!! Champney provided this, with a first class service. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly welcoming receptionist, whom was so helpfu . We used all facilities and were amazed at how clean, comfortable and well equiped each area was. I adore beauty products, and whilst there treated myself, as Champneys products are great value for money. The lady that assisted me was helpful and informative. Everyone needs a little time out, Champneys is the place for rest, relaxation, great food, amazing staff, beautiful grounds and a unforgetable experience. Thank you Champneys...

Room Tip: When ever I have stayed at Champneys all rooms have been very comfortable and clean. Thay are well e...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Champneys Tring is an excellent spa resort. Fantastic hotel, views and facilities. All the staff are so helpfull and cannot do enough for you. Lovely food, not the 'lettice leaf' that people automatically think you can only eat at a health spa. An overall brilliant experiance. I have been to Tring and Springs on many occasions and Champneys have never let me down.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely and a standard room is all you need, there is no need to pay more to upgrade.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Hemel Hempstead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have been to this resort seven times over the last 3 years and it is by far my favourite spa. I love the luxurious country house feel to it. The staff are all excellent, the rooms in the Mansion are beautiful & perfectly good in the newer part. The restaurant is fabulous, excellent fresh food, the dining staff are curteous. The therapists are all very good as they are all trained at Champneys College. I just LOVE this place and would be a member if I could afford it!!!

Room Tip: Choose the superior rooms in the Mansion House
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Pendley Manor Hotel
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa
Premier Inn Tring Hotel

Been to Champneys Tring? Share your experiences!