“Quality Accomodation”

Price range: US$7 - US$21
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A genuine Free House in an area of outstanding natural beauty. 80 Paces from the Grand Union Canal and 30 paces from Startops Reservoir. This pub has a truly unique atmosphere which has been retained during the recent refurbishment. New cellar and bar equipment are delivering an extended range of fine ales, the kitchen continues with its favourites with a focus on a wide rnge of daily homemade specials. Accommodation is available with 3 ensuite rooms.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was lucky enough to stumble upon this little gem whilst working in pitstone and i stayed for three weeks in all and would gladly go back for another stay with my partner. The rooms are well presented and the curtains let in very little light. Shower pressure and temperature is among the best i've experienced and Pauline simply couldn't do enough for me throughout my entire stay. I never tired of jumping on the mountain bike and hitting the canal toe paths thery're stunning, even the roads are ok for biking. The pub food is great and I only had a meal with chips once as the menu is very varied. I can't comment on the beer as I never had one due to working noons but there was plenty of re-ordering going on by those who were drinking. Free WI-FI too.

2  Thank Phil C

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've eaten at the Anglers twice in the past month and both meals were good. On the first occasion I had a homemade lamb burger with a lovely mint/yoghurt dressing. This was served with a nice bread roll and decent, though not spectacular, chips. The food here is very good value which gives it an edge over local competition. The pub somewhat lacks ambience, but is nice and relaxed/low-key and certainly friendly and welcoming enough. Service has been quick on both occasions. I'll definitely be back.

1  Thank Kate9253
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We've eaten here 4 times now and have enjoyed it every single time. The food is home cooked, tastes great and is good value. Staff are really nice and service is prompt.
Sunday roast is really great - served up with 7 different veg! Had chicken madras today which was the best yet. Can't wait to go back.

1  Thank Rachel M
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We chanced upon this place on our way home to Stoke from Aylesbury. As it was close to the Grand Union canal, and we enjoy walking, we enquired if there were rooms free and decided to stop another night in the area. What a warm welcome!! It's the kind of place that grows on you.
Food aplenty and no horrendous waiting. En-suite room ideal.
Other local watering-holes in either direction along the canal. Beautiful countryside. We even heard a Cuckoo.

2  Thank Gnasher147
Reviewed 25 May 2014

From the moment we arrived up until we departed during our Jolly Boy's Cycle Trip from Croxley Green our hosts, Pauline and Dave looked after us! We had a lovely stay! Lovely accommodation for our well earned overnight stop. Friendly locals adding to the great bar atmosphere!

2  Thank William M
TheAnglersRetreat, Owner at The Anglers Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. It was wonderful meeting you all and look forward to seeing you again x