“A Wonderful Stay....”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Welwyn, United Kingdom
“A Wonderful Stay....”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Got our first anniversary we wanted something special. At Pendley we had a superbly spacious room in the old house. Everything worked well - coffee/tea making but no minibar. The evening meal was quite wonderful - everything perfect. The grounds are lovely - yes peacocks make a bit of a noise but where else do you see white ones? Minor disappointments at breakfast - the cotton wool bread used for toast does not do the place justice and my kipper somewhat over grilled. But this did not spoil a very good value deal of D B&B. and we did not have time to enjoy what is the best spa/gym in the district.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms are good
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hedgehog44
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Thank you for your review and congratulations on your first anniversary.
I am delighted that your stay on this special occasion was so enjoyable and will ask chef to take a look at the bread we use for toast ( which is baked locally)

Hope to welcome you back soon – and thanks for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
midlands
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Only went for overnight stay, breakfast fine, didn't mind the slightly shaby decor- adds bit of character. But OMG it is noisey, couldn't get away from fans. Yes I was eventually moved but just a little further from the extractor fan! More like Heathrow than middle of country estate.

Room Tip: check not near extractor fans
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
savkat

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit

I am really sorry that you found your room to be noisy – I guess your original room may have been near to the kitchens which do have extractors that are quite well used during the hot weather, though are of course turned off at night. I’m glad that you mentioned this though and we were able to move you to a quiet room.

I do hope you will return, when booking please request a room away from the kitchen area if you are coming again in the summer months. We will do our very best.
Reviewed 25 May 2011

This hotel and spa is in a beautiful part of the country, a picturesque rural setting complete with roaming peacocks in the grounds - a stunning old building with great character complete with impressive chandelier in the main entrance hall ... sadly all this splendor does not continue to the guest rooms - desperately in need of a refurbishment and during my stay with no hot water in the morning - disappointing and would not recommend this hotel until more work has been done to raise the standard of the overnight accommodation to the communal/public areas of the property.

• Stayed May 2011
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time in posting your review, and for your complimentary comments regarding our lovely location and indeed about the original Manor House, which has recently undergone a substantial restoration programme.
We are currently working with our designers on addressing our bedrooms and bathrooms. I don’t know which room you stayed in, and am sorry that you experienced a problem with a lack of hot water. (Engineers have checked this out and report the system is functioning properly)

I am concerned that you seem to have rated the service level as poor, and am particularly disappointed that you felt this to be the case. As you make no reference to this, I would be very grateful if you would contact me at the Hotel, so that I can establish exactly what it was that you believe to be unsatisfactory, which will allow me to address any issues for the benefit of our future guests.

I look forward to speaking with you, and I hope to welcome you back before too long.

Travellers are raving about these Tring hotels

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2011

A group of 28 close family and friends recently spent a long weekend at Pendley Manor when our son got married nearby. All the arrangements for the booking of rooms, including for family with babies, were dealt with swiftly and efficiently. Our need for two meals for 14+ people over the weekend were accomodated with no fuss and with great patience on the part of Krysztina, who ensured that we got exactly what we wanted. The food was superb - they deserve their recently awarded 2nd red rosette. The entire weekend was very pleasant with all the staff only too willing to please . The pool was a great hit with the children as was the hot tub with their parents! Pendley Manor is a really comfortable hotel to stay in and,situated as it is in the middle of nowhere, it is a peaceful retreat that I would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read your positive comments and pleased that we were able to play our part in ensuring you and your family had a relaxing weekend with us.
It is particularly encouraging to read that my colleagues went the extra mile in ensuring all the arrangements were as you wanted and that you enjoyed your meals with us.

Thank you – do come again soon, we’d love to welcome you back.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We visited this Hotel for a party and an overnight stay and were most impressed by the standard of the food and the extremely friendly service we received. We have visited hotels in the past where we have wondered if they really wanted customers because they were so offhand but not so in this case. We had a wonderful room, furnished in the mode of very good hotels in the past. Proper furniture, not IKEA and while the plumbing could have been a little more efficient it was adequate and worked for us. We felt cherished and very welcome. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Tell the Receptionist what you want.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2011
Thank you!

To read that you were “impressed by the standard of food and the extremely friendly service” is very encouraging and goes a long way in motivating my colleagues to achieve our objective of delivering just that.

I am glad your vist was so enjoyable

Dorking
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We chose this hotel as it seemed a good deal for dinnner bed and breakfast to celebrate my husbands birthday. We had a four poster bed which my husband found comfortable but I found slightly hard. The carpet had seen better days with several black marks although it did feel nice and soft under foot! A chair in the room was heavily stained and had a small whole in the fabric of the seat. The bathroom appeared dated and the shower took a lot of fiddling with the mixer taps to regulate the temperature so I decided to shower at the pool next day. Noisy fan in the bathroom which required muting by ensuring the door was kept shut after use as it continued on for some time after turning off the light.
All of this was however more than made up for by our dining experience. When we entered the dining room, all the tables had a lit candle even if unoccupied, creating a wonderfully romantic ambiance. The decor is elegant and relaxing. My husband didn't like any of the main courses on the menu and was offered an alternative for which we did not have to pay extra. Each course was beautifully presented and delicious. The best meal I have experienced in a hotel to date and I have been to many. All the staff were polite, efficient and very helpful.
The peacocks provide an opportunity for some interesting photo's and the white one seemed to really enjoy putting on a show with it's beautiful plumeage twirling around whilst being photographed.
All in all an excellent deal and I shall be returning with friends!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

Your remarks regarding your bedroom have been noted, I am of course glad your husband found the bed comfortable, and equally sorry that some aspects were not as good as they should be, those points that can be imedietly rectified have been. We plan to continue our refurbishment of the hotel by addressing bedrooms in due course.

I am however pleased that your experience in our restaurant more than made up for any deficiencies with your room. It is kind of you to comment positively on the ambience and décor, and pleasing to read the team were polite and helpful. Your comments regarding your meal are particularly appreciated – Thank you.

As for the white peacock – he is beautiful, if a bit of a show off !

Thanks for your review; I hope you will return soon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We booked Pendley Manor via the Travel Zoo deal at £49 pp for an upgraded 4 poster room with dinner and breakfast included and stayed on 26th April 2011.
I thought the hotel was lovely and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others at the price we paid. The rooms were clean and well stocked, the gardens were beautiful and well kept and the staff were fantastic. Both dinner (from a set menu) and breakfast (buffet) were lovely and well above average. Yes the rooms have seen their best days and are a little dated but this hotel is slowly refurbing hence the deal, and yes the peacocks are a little noisy but this didn't bother us and I loved seeing them from the window during breakfast, please don't ever get rid of them :-)
I am not sure that I would pay the usual £140ish for a room with breakfast but then I wouldn't pay that anyway, it's a little out of my budget! I have told everyone to go to Pendley if it's in a deal like we had. It was fantastic value for a hotel with 1st class service, excellent food, beautiful grounds and lovely character. I will look out for this deal again next year.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
What a kind review, Thank you.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit, and particularly that the team were fantastic in taking care of you.

You do not need to wait for the next Travelzoo promotion before you come back!
Please do visit our website and check out our current offers, we have some great deals available.

Thanks for the recommendation, we look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Sopwell House
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,229 reviews

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!