“Worn Out”

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Had to stay here recently due to attending a training course...all i can say is that i'm glad it wasn't my own money!

I have never seen such outdated and tired/worn out rooms. Thread bear carpets everywhere, outdated fixtures and fittings, things hanging off the walls, tv's from the arc, cracked tiles, antiquated shower (that wouldn't wash a gnat), 80's decor and the weirdest colour combo's you could imagine etc etc etc. I would normally have put a long list of stuff into hotel management to get sorted but didn't bother on this occaision as we were only there 2 nights and busy doing other things.

As we were on a set menu we got a limited set dinner choice. I have never seen such a small main course served in my life. One dish i received constituted 5 green beans, 2 new potatoes and the smallest piece of fish balanced on top...the management of this place are taking the micky. Had this been a private booking the food (if you can call it that) would have gone straight back so they could try again. They never even put some extra vegetables & potatoes on each of our tables to help bolster the various dishes we had ordered. On the flip side, i thought breakfast and lunch on each of the days we were there was excellent and no tiny portions as you could help yourself so i made the most of it and stocked up before dinner time!

Sorry Pendley Manor but you really do have to sort the rooms out and get some new carpets because for the prices you are charging i would never ever stay in your hotel on my own money.

A positive word for the staff who i found to be very helpful and polite but obviously working in an outdated environment and strict management rules on how to cut corners to try and make more money out of corporate guests!

Room Tip: Don't bother and go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you BazWestYorkshire_UK for your review. I am very disappointed to read of your dissatisfaction with your dinner – whilst a set menu would have been selected by your company I am surprised to read that the portions were small,- we certainly haven’t had any adverse comment from your hosts- Chef is always happy to provide some additional food if required.
That said, it is good to note that you enjoyed your other meals which were both plentiful and tasty. Than ks also for your positive remarks regarding my helpful and polite colleagues

Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Four poster bed with dust covered and falling down fadded ruffles, carpet filthy, thread bare and coming apart at the corners and seams. The chairs were so worn and filthy it was gross even sitting in them to put your shoes on your feet.The trim paint, decor, bathrooms have not been even attempted to be addressed since at least the 70's. The Bath towels were freyed and gray, there were trash filled plastic film cups in cup holders. This is a Hotel that is booked solid with events and wandering drunk guests roaming the corridors until 5:00 am.
It was hard even leaving the hotel because of groups of potential event planners, lining the front exit... Like cattle.
Pendley Manor has no competion in the area of their size and amenities .... They Bank on this.
We were so anxious to leave we couldn't face their breakfast....
The mattress may have been heaven ..... But we were so bombarded with dust fallout... It was like snowfall.
Go if you must just be forewarned.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

MexicanTraveler Oh dear this is very disappointing indeed and in many ways somewhat disingenuous, I am genuinely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and particularly that I did not have the opportunity of meeting with you personally to discuss and review your remarks. I do think had I done so that despite some, I am sure, valid comments we would have concluded that others are at best somewhat exaggerated

Reviewed 9 September 2013

A spur of the moment one night stay for us. Very enjoyable, the staff were excellent - very helpful. The manager in the restaurant was so nice - I didn't fancy anything on the fixed price menu but he got the chef to provide me with something else at no extra cost - very impressive and very tasty. The breakfast was lovely - so much to chose from and it was hot. The grounds are beautiful with some peacocks wandering around ! There was a bit of noise as we were on the ground floor but that was because there was a wedding going on but we had been warned and offered a discount for this reason. Would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Don't have ground floor if there is a wedding going on - but this is not a huge problem as the n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank youBarbaraD41 for your positive review, I am glad that your spur of the moment decision to stay with us turned out to be just the right decision and you had a very enjoyable stay with us. It is good to read that despite nothing on our table d’hote menu appealing that both our restaurant manager and Chef conjured up something nice and tasty that hit the spot.
My colleagues will always do their best to look after our guests and go the extra mile whenever possible.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed here for a wedding this weekend, was looking forward to it but was slightly reserved because of recent reviews. Our room had 2 double beds which was a bit strange, i think this may be because of the discounted rate due to the wedding party, nevertheless the room looked tired, dated and in desperate need of a revamp/update. I found the bed to be really uncomfortable and i could feel the springs in my back and didn't get a great nights sleep. The floorboards also creaked but this isn't as much an issue. Tv was quite old fashioned tube tv. our view wasn't too bad, wifi was easy to connect to, the hairdryers were pretty old fashioned tubes similar to what you get at a budget hotel, this is one simple change which would i'm please alot of women staying here! Breakfast, although plenty to choose from and good quality the eggs and some of the other hot food were not hot, more lukewarm if that.

We decided to use the spa in the morning. the pool seemed clean, the changing rooms however were pretty dark and dirty looking, so much so i really didn't want to shower there after a swim and instead we walked back to our room in the towels to shower there.(towels also weren't very soft) We ventured underground to try and find the sauna/steam room (through and unlocked door) in a very tired and dirty looking tunnel, the actual steam and sauna was ok but our main issue was that we got locked in, and were unable to get back out without a room card which we were unaware we needed. upon being rescued the staff told us there was a sign on the door saying we needed a key but clearly this was not very visible as we failed to see this, and it was open without needing a card, very odd!!. We stayed for a bite to eat at lunchtime, but sadly the food didn't reflect the high price tags; my partner and i went for the egg sandwich. Which at £6.50 and really quite small. The bread was dry and the sandwich pretty bland and tasteless, the crisps which accompanied them were also quite sparse. it was a shame as the grounds and some of the main rooms were beautiful, the toilets also lovely clean and modern. The only saving grace for this place is the staff as we couldn't fault their service and willingness to please our whole party. We would certainly not pay the normal rate of £150 for a room here as we would expect a lot more for this price bracket. Tring town was quant and only a few minutes drive away so wouldn't hesitate to visit this area again, just sadly not this hotel without any improvements.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Blondie2275; Thanks for your comments which have been noted and continue to be addressed as we progress our refurbishment programme of which the latest phase has just been completed. I am of course pleaded to read that my colleagues delivered a good service and were only too happy to go the extra mile .

Reviewed 8 September 2013

i arrived at the hotel with a good first impression, although this was soon ruined by the rude german man on reception. he had no interest in welcoming us but instead wanted to type away on his computer. we had to wait for the young girl to finish checking someone else in to then help us.
the room was ok. nothing spectacular but at least it was clean.
the restaurant and bar experience really seems to depend on which staff are working.
if you get then english staff then they are polite and proper but if you get the eastern european staff then you are ignored and kept waiting. When we finally found the barman it turned out he would rather be shouting in his own language on his mobile than serve us. So in the end we opted for room service that night. the waiter that served us room service was very polite though and the food was very good.

big tip if your staying here is if you want a polite service wait for the english staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

tony b, thank you for your review, I am sorry that you appear to have encountered some colleagues who seem to have been less than hospitable. None the less to say that all those who are not indigenous were impolite and those who are English the opposite really is untrue.
I expect all of my colleagues to be friendly and courteous regardless of their origin and generally find that to be the case.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hotel is looking tired, room below average, realised how poor as stayed in The Savoy on previous night, 2 extremes. Bar staff wanted to close at midnight, really happy barman - not, we were late for breakfast and staff would not sort out something to eat although paid for breakfast. Needs to explain to staff who is paying their salaries, wouldn't waste my money again, shame as lovely location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

StevenJJacobs: thank you for your comments. I am disappointed to read your remarks concerning the bedroom. It is perhaps a little disingenuous to compare it with that you enjoyed the previous evening at The Savoy and assume there was a corresponding disparity in rate. Having said that I am more than a little disappointed to read about our barman, wholly unacceptable and entirely contradictory of our service ethic. May I ask you to please telephone me at the Hotel so that I can personally apologise and explore this further? I look forward to speaking.

Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding. We paid £120 for the best room a suit. It was room number 110, as you go through the room there's a smell of old church. Bathroom was very old fashioned and dark needs a refurb, the sitting room was nice but very small with an old fat back tv, carpets are discoloured, 4 poster bed but te floor boards are creaky and you could hear next doors too, for the best room in the manor I thought it was very basic and too old fashioned, also the view was awful all you could see is the roof top. I think £120 is way to expensive for theses rooms!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank arthur088

arthur088; thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am sorry that your room did not meet expectations, though I wouldn’t necessarily say that it is the best room in the Hotel. Your comments have been noted and will be kept in mind as we progress with our refurbishment programme. I

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#6 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!