“A worn out heaven.”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“A worn out heaven.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

I didn't stay here by choice, my business partner made the reservation thinking that I will like it. He isn't wrong, the scenes around the place are amazing, the gardens can be a perfect place for all sorts of activities, from relaxing to crazy. But mind me, travelers sleep in beds and that's where the hotel fails big time.
Read, Worn Out, review. It says it all.
Last night, I came late and wanted to eat, the room service had only 2 choices of sandwiches. It seems that I had selected the wrong one, unless the other choice would have been even worse. But when you're hungry you eat anything.
The breakfast wasn't bad.
But the place is too expensive for the quality it offers unless you want to spend your time in the gardens.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank raedfar
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
raedfar;Thank you for your review, disappointing as it is in many respects.
I am unclear as to what you mean in saying “But mind me, travelers sleep in beds and that's where the hotel fails big time”. In so far as I can ascertain the room you stayed in has a bed that is less than a year old and is a good quality bed from a well-respected manufacturer.
I would be interested to know at what time you asked for a sandwich – it is true to say that we offer a limited choice during the night but this does extend to a choice of four sandwiches as well as items such as smoked salmon, soup with a crusty roll etc.
I would be grateful if you will call at the hotel so that I can look into this a bit further.
On the positive side, I am pleased that at least you enjoyed our gardens.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Me and my new wife Emma stayed on our wedding night all the staff were very helpful the grounds are outstanding we had a very nice bar meal out on the bar patio the food was first class we had such a great time we are thinking of coming back for our 1'st anniversary in august 2014 5star

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ianandemmaprior
ianandemmaprior. Congratulations on your recent wedding. I am delighted that your stay with us was a fitting close to your special day.
Thanks for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed at Pendley for a 60th Birthday with family. The staff were amazing they really couldn't do enough for us also the food was brilliant there was no complaints! The rooms are dated however I like the fact that they have kept the manor house traditional. The spa are was the only thing that let the hotel down it does need updating. Overall a fantastic family evening with amazing food.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cora C
Thank you Cora C your comments are appreciated.
West Yorkshire, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Had to stay here recently due to attending a training course...all i can say is that i'm glad it wasn't my own money!

I have never seen such outdated and tired/worn out rooms. Thread bear carpets everywhere, outdated fixtures and fittings, things hanging off the walls, tv's from the arc, cracked tiles, antiquated shower (that wouldn't wash a gnat), 80's decor and the weirdest colour combo's you could imagine etc etc etc. I would normally have put a long list of stuff into hotel management to get sorted but didn't bother on this occaision as we were only there 2 nights and busy doing other things.

As we were on a set menu we got a limited set dinner choice. I have never seen such a small main course served in my life. One dish i received constituted 5 green beans, 2 new potatoes and the smallest piece of fish balanced on top...the management of this place are taking the micky. Had this been a private booking the food (if you can call it that) would have gone straight back so they could try again. They never even put some extra vegetables & potatoes on each of our tables to help bolster the various dishes we had ordered. On the flip side, i thought breakfast and lunch on each of the days we were there was excellent and no tiny portions as you could help yourself so i made the most of it and stocked up before dinner time!

Sorry Pendley Manor but you really do have to sort the rooms out and get some new carpets because for the prices you are charging i would never ever stay in your hotel on my own money.

A positive word for the staff who i found to be very helpful and polite but obviously working in an outdated environment and strict management rules on how to cut corners to try and make more money out of corporate guests!

Room Tip: Don't bother and go elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you BazWestYorkshire_UK for your review. I am very disappointed to read of your dissatisfaction with your dinner – whilst a set menu would have been selected by your company I am surprised to read that the portions were small,- we certainly haven’t had any adverse comment from your hosts- Chef is always happy to provide some additional food if required.
That said, it is good to note that you enjoyed your other meals which were both plentiful and tasty. Than ks also for your positive remarks regarding my helpful and polite colleagues

Travellers are raving about these Tring hotels

San Miguel,MX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Four poster bed with dust covered and falling down fadded ruffles, carpet filthy, thread bare and coming apart at the corners and seams. The chairs were so worn and filthy it was gross even sitting in them to put your shoes on your feet.The trim paint, decor, bathrooms have not been even attempted to be addressed since at least the 70's. The Bath towels were freyed and gray, there were trash filled plastic film cups in cup holders. This is a Hotel that is booked solid with events and wandering drunk guests roaming the corridors until 5:00 am.
It was hard even leaving the hotel because of groups of potential event planners, lining the front exit... Like cattle.
Pendley Manor has no competion in the area of their size and amenities .... They Bank on this.
We were so anxious to leave we couldn't face their breakfast....
The mattress may have been heaven ..... But we were so bombarded with dust fallout... It was like snowfall.
Go if you must just be forewarned.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
MexicanTraveler Oh dear this is very disappointing indeed and in many ways somewhat disingenuous, I am genuinely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and particularly that I did not have the opportunity of meeting with you personally to discuss and review your remarks. I do think had I done so that despite some, I am sure, valid comments we would have concluded that others are at best somewhat exaggerated
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

A spur of the moment one night stay for us. Very enjoyable, the staff were excellent - very helpful. The manager in the restaurant was so nice - I didn't fancy anything on the fixed price menu but he got the chef to provide me with something else at no extra cost - very impressive and very tasty. The breakfast was lovely - so much to chose from and it was hot. The grounds are beautiful with some peacocks wandering around ! There was a bit of noise as we were on the ground floor but that was because there was a wedding going on but we had been warned and offered a discount for this reason. Would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Don't have ground floor if there is a wedding going on - but this is not a huge problem as the n...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank youBarbaraD41 for your positive review, I am glad that your spur of the moment decision to stay with us turned out to be just the right decision and you had a very enjoyable stay with us. It is good to read that despite nothing on our table d’hote menu appealing that both our restaurant manager and Chef conjured up something nice and tasty that hit the spot.
My colleagues will always do their best to look after our guests and go the extra mile whenever possible.
chelmsford, Essex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed here for a wedding this weekend, was looking forward to it but was slightly reserved because of recent reviews. Our room had 2 double beds which was a bit strange, i think this may be because of the discounted rate due to the wedding party, nevertheless the room looked tired, dated and in desperate need of a revamp/update. I found the bed to be really uncomfortable and i could feel the springs in my back and didn't get a great nights sleep. The floorboards also creaked but this isn't as much an issue. Tv was quite old fashioned tube tv. our view wasn't too bad, wifi was easy to connect to, the hairdryers were pretty old fashioned tubes similar to what you get at a budget hotel, this is one simple change which would i'm please alot of women staying here! Breakfast, although plenty to choose from and good quality the eggs and some of the other hot food were not hot, more lukewarm if that.

We decided to use the spa in the morning. the pool seemed clean, the changing rooms however were pretty dark and dirty looking, so much so i really didn't want to shower there after a swim and instead we walked back to our room in the towels to shower there.(towels also weren't very soft) We ventured underground to try and find the sauna/steam room (through and unlocked door) in a very tired and dirty looking tunnel, the actual steam and sauna was ok but our main issue was that we got locked in, and were unable to get back out without a room card which we were unaware we needed. upon being rescued the staff told us there was a sign on the door saying we needed a key but clearly this was not very visible as we failed to see this, and it was open without needing a card, very odd!!. We stayed for a bite to eat at lunchtime, but sadly the food didn't reflect the high price tags; my partner and i went for the egg sandwich. Which at £6.50 and really quite small. The bread was dry and the sandwich pretty bland and tasteless, the crisps which accompanied them were also quite sparse. it was a shame as the grounds and some of the main rooms were beautiful, the toilets also lovely clean and modern. The only saving grace for this place is the staff as we couldn't fault their service and willingness to please our whole party. We would certainly not pay the normal rate of £150 for a room here as we would expect a lot more for this price bracket. Tring town was quant and only a few minutes drive away so wouldn't hesitate to visit this area again, just sadly not this hotel without any improvements.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Blondie2275; Thanks for your comments which have been noted and continue to be addressed as we progress our refurbishment programme of which the latest phase has just been completed. I am of course pleaded to read that my colleagues delivered a good service and were only too happy to go the extra mile .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Sopwell House
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,202 reviews

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!