“Steve bakers 60th birthday bash”

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed one night for my friend Steve birthday do. Hotel is very nice a little over warm but on the whole it's very clean and nice with friendly staff. Rooms are very nice and the hotel if full of nice cosy rooms. Breakfast was very nice all the food was fresh and well presented and the staff were on hand to keep the coffee topped up.
The evening do was a hog roast which was very good and the bar had some nice side pocket beer a local brew from Tring little over priced but very nice. Staff needed a little bit of training in running the bar but they did well.
Would I go back well yes I would

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Trevor P thank you for your review I pleased to hear that your enjoyed your friend’s birthday celebrations with us. I am glad to hear that on a busy Sunday morning the breakfast was plentiful and the restaurant staff attentive. We hope you will visit us again soon to enjoy another Tring Brewery Side Pocket also sold in our residents bar!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We have stayed in a suite and a four poster room now.

The worst thing about this hotel are the hair dryers. It'd be quicker to dry my hair wafting my head with a newspaper.

It's true there are bits you can pull holes in about the decor. It could do with a spruce and freshen. However. What is there was expensively done and is really lovely. The beds are comfortable and the room was clean.

The staff are so wonderful and couldn't do enough for you. True one or two could do with a refresher at charm school but they were the exception. The food in the restaurant was fab. I really recommend the deconstructed snickers for desert.

Ive read a lot of people complaining about the quality not meeting their 'true 4*' expectations. If I was paying Dorchester or Lansdowne prices I would complain bitterly. But you aren't. There are rough bits but it's an awesome and romantic place to come stay and won't leave you selling the kids on the way out.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank saraboom

Thank you saraboom, it is always a particular pleasure to welcome our return guests. Hairdriers are on the agenda when the bedrooms are refurbished, however reception do have some hand held spares that might be better than the newspaper! Thank you for your kind comments regarding my colleagues and positive remarks concerning dinner. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit very soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My daughter and I booked a Spa day with two treatments each. We found the Spa area to be very utilitarian, and reminiscent of school! The décor is somewhat lacking and we had a very basic and poor quality lunch in a small room obviously kept for Spa users. The large television was tuned to a radio station with no means of turning off the constant music. The treatment rooms are small and pokey and the changing room was cold and unappealing. It would appear that the Spa is an 'add-on' to the hotel. However the staff were very polite and helpful but overall it was a disappointing day and not good value for money

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Suede13_13

Suede13_13; thank you for your review of your recent Spa Day; may I thank you for your kind comments about the polite and helpful staff. I am disappointed that you found our Spa Day at £35, including lunch to not be good value for money. We have two treatment rooms adjacent to our leisure facilities and provide a separate changing area to the pool changing rooms for our Day Spa users. I am sorry to hear that you felt these not to be heated to a suitable temperature on the day of your visit; I will certainly be looking into this further. Generally the television is not on in the Spa lunch room unless requested; I apologise that there was no one who could assist you with adjusting the station or turning the television off.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my husband last night and we were both very disappointed with it. The room they allocated us was dated, dark and depressing. It had wallpaper peeling off the wall and the bathroom was grim. We asked to be moved to another room which was marginally better. Again this was very a very tired looking room and bathroom. The shower didn't work properly, and was just a dribble of water coming from the showehead, and the taps were just as bad on the sink as they didn't work properly either. Furthermore the lamps in the room didn't work. We had our 7 week old baby with us and could have done without all the inconvenience. The dinner was average and the prepay option is very misleading! A £2 per person reduction, and limited set menu so be warned! The breakfast was average. The swimming pool facilities were nice and the grounds surrounding the hotel were lovely. During check out we did tell the hotel we were disappointed with our stay. The response we received was that they have a knack to getting the lamps in the room working and that they have a 24 hour maintenance man. The response to the pre pay dinner option was that the hotel only offers a small imcentive. We asked for our bill of £17 to be waived due to the inconvenience and the lady ignored the request when mentioned twice! She was not very personable or sympathetic and did not really take on board our comments. I've stayed in lots of hotels and can honestly say this is the first complaint I've ever made. A very disappointing experience.

• Stayed: November 2013

Charls_GG thank you for taking the time to write a review; all feedback is important to us. I am disappointed to read your remarks concerning your stay and in particular the bedroom. I apologise for the inconvenience but glad the team were able to move you swiftly to another bedroom. We hope to move onto the bedroom refurbishment phase in the near future, which will remedy the anomalies that we come across from time to time in the old manor house. The three choice Table D’Hote menu is included in our dinner, bed & breakfast packages, which can be purchased prior to your arrival at a slight discount, you can also use this allowance towards our A La Carte Menu or to the bar menu if you prefer something a little less formal. On the positive side, I am pleased that you enjoyed the leisure facilities and our grounds.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights. Our room was quiet and comfortable, furnishings were fine and the grounds were fantastic. This is a location for travellers who appreciate the beauty of old, polished wood, and who like to dress for dinner. The clientele seemed to be mostly older professionals although there were a few children about. The service was first class as you would expect at such a location. The hotel restaurant was expensive but the food was top class.
We were in Tring from the USA looking for ancestors and relatives and so we only used the hotel for sleeping and didn't take advantage of the spa, gym or other facilities. WiFi worked fine and was useful for us, though.

Room Tip: All rooms would be quiet, but check the hotel's website to be sure that it is what you are looki...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you JDR0 for your very kind comments. I hope your family search was successful and that you might be back to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

my wife and I stayed here last night and I've got to say the public areas have been done up very well from the last time I was there 3 years ago, BUT that is where it stops as the rooms although very clean are very dated,tired and battered and the bathrooms are even worse. the bar was empty apart from one couple and our party of eight but it was hard work to get a drink as we had to go to reception twice to find a barman, when he did arrive he could only do one drink at a time. breakfast was ok at best but was disappointed that despite the reputation of the hotel you don't get a personal touch and you had to help yourself to the buffet and for the money you pay for the room I expect better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Richard h; thank you for your comments. I am glad to hear that you liked the renovations that we have made to our public areas since your last stay. These renovations are on-going we have just last month completed an update of our public toilets and banqueting foyer area. We hope to move onto the bedroom phase in the near future. I disappointed to hear your difficulty in getting service at the bar and sorry you had to go to reception, I can only assume the bar man was servicing guests in another room. We tend to provide a buffet breakfast of both continental and English Breakfast so that you can make your own selection; however we do have a number of items which can be ordered and brought to you at the table.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed here on business for 1 night.
Room looked very tired with very dated TV and furniture.
Bar was crowded and took some time to get served. Bar prices not too bad, slightly on the steep side.
Food was a pre-booked meal for about 20 of us.
Service was quick enough, and the food was tasty and well presented.
Wine choice was expensive generally.
As with a lot of these types of hotels, they try to cater for business in the week and weddings at weekends.
In need of a general brighten up, but an adequate place to stay for 1 night.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ChrisM239

ChrisM239, thanks for your comments. We hope that the bedrooms will be the next area we visit with our on-going update of the building. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your evening meal, apologies that the bar was busy when you arrived. As you say we are a hotel that caters for many different stays both business and pleasure; we try to accommodate everyone’s requirements.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Sopwell House
#6 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!