“Christmas at pendley manor”

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
“Christmas at pendley manor”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have just spent a family christmas at Pendley Manor and cannot thank the staff enough for making christmas such a fun and memorable occasion. The hotel is rich in tradition, history and charm. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean, all you need when the hotel and surroundings have so much to offer. The restaurant and Bar provided us with prompt and delightful service, with the roast beef on Boxing Day being exceptional. Excellent value for money and I would not hesitate to recommend this to our friends. We look forward to a third return visit!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Sally S, thank you so much for your kind review, I will ensure all the team have seen it, particularly chef. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed this special time of year with us; although the team are working we enjoy the festive time too! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Great setting, friendlyand helpful staff and comfortable room, although room 109 was not where I was told it was and took a degree in geography to find. Not signposted from the main staircase. Christmas party was good, although the melon starter was one of the smallest I've seen. Main issue was the bathroom, a shower that was totally inefficient with no pressure, and a loo that wouldn't flush properly. Aren't these basic things tested regularly? Lovely public areas and staff, but let's itself down on what should be straightforward amenities. Bathroom was very substandard.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andy-S60
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Andy-S60, thank you for your review. Great to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful, I do hope that you enjoyed your Christmas party. Due to the logistics of the listed building it can be difficult to locate some of the bedrooms; we do have signage from the main reception and adjacent corridors. The reception or restaurant team are always happy to assist with directions also. I am sorry to hear of your difficulties in the bathroom, was this reported to reception? We were not aware of any issue with this particular room; however these are areas we will be looking to upgrade.
nuneaton
Reviewed 12 December 2013

It's a lovely looking hotel and has some great facilities but for a hotel that thinks it's a 4 star hotel it falls down in some very basic areas. My room was large with a four poster bed (never got the point of these), with a large bathroom. The room failed on three very basic things you would expect of any good quality, not to mention luxury, hotel in the 21st Century. First, the over bath shower was a joke. A miserable dribble of water that was difficult to get to the right temperature. Put in a proper shower!! Second, once I turned on the radiator (the room was freezing when I arrived) it seemed impossible to turn it off which turned the room into a sauna unless I opened the very tatty windows. Finally, for entertainment, a very old Crown CRT tv with about 8 channels - yes really, in this day and age where ANY tv can get at least 20-30 channels, very poor. The bed was comfortable though but the room needed a make over. Breakfast was fine, a decent selection of good quality stuff, all buffet style. All the staff were unfailingly polite if a bit formal. Given a bit of investment this hotel could be amazing but it feels about 20 years behind the opposition. For example, Premier Inn rooms are better quality. If I had to, I would go back because it's not 'bad' but there are many better hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Everything creaks so avoid a room with high footfall around it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Nuneatonmark; thank you for your comments. I appreciate your remarks about the bedroom; these are all areas which we hope to address when we update the bedrooms. I am glad you found the bed to be comfortable and breakfast inviting.
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Just returned from a wedding at Pendley. There is no doubt that the hotel is in a lovely setting with the rolling hills and the neatly trimmed grass and bushes. We enjoyed looking out for the peacocks and strolling around the grounds. There are some giant pines on site that smell fabulous and fresh. The Shakespeare Bar was comfortable for meeting up with other wedding attendees, although some members of our party whined about bar prices I thought they were comparable to other hotels and perhaps a bit less than some.

The Tring area is lovely and there are historic and visitor attractions for all ages.

We had fun trying to figure out where the original house left off and the extensions began. s Our room was 121 in the newer section, which had a lot of stairs going to it. Luckily for us there was a ramp and a small elevator we could use as my husband's mobility isn't the best and he is blind. The room had a bathtub which was very high for my shorter legs (typical English bath tub) and my husband did not feel comfortable using it because of his disability. We had a 4 poster bed which was very comfortable to sleep in and the room as a whole was quiet and large with a table. As other reviewers have pointed out the 4 poster seemed to be an Ikea model. It did hold together so no worries there.

The TV was the old fashioned type which doesn't have a clock but the chairs could be pulled right up to it which helped my husband 'watch' tv while I was getting ready. In fact, one of the bugbears about the room was it totally lacked a clock. We had to keep calling reception and after asking them about time in the room reception suggested trying the tv. I advised reception that there was no time on the TV but they never offered a clock. Funnily enough, one of the handsets on the phone seemed to have a clock but it was always set at 11:14, our fellow guests reported the same lack of coherent time in their rooms.

The swimming pool was lovely and warm, the sun streaming in the windows really brightened up the atmosphere. It is a lap pool so the deepest it gets is 1.2m which was fine. There were plenty of chairs to sit in and some spa ladies enjoying their day - so a very convivial atmosphere. The pool towels were large and fluffy and they sell disposable suits if you forget yours. The only down side was getting in and out of the pool is not very disabled friendly - you do have to be able to use the ladders. The lady who works at the pool was just lovely. I explained to her that my husband is blind and she allowed me to help him shower in the men's changing room (no other men about at the time). This was perfect for us and much appreciated.

The buffet breakfast was scrumptious, especially the sausages. There was enough fresh fruit to keep any traveller going and even potato wedges. It was a total treat; the first morning the hotel had put together a large table for those of us attending the wedding and the next morning we had an entire breakfast room for the wedding - very thoughtful and appreciated as we could all debrief together.

The wedding banquet hall was freezing cold as the door downstairs was open, on a cold November night, I just didn't need that. I realize it is hard to keep it closed what with wedding guests dashing out for a smoke but it was freezing - we went back to our room to warm up!

The bar staff was very good at the wedding and in the little bar earlier, however, the Shakespeare Bar staff had to keep running around and waiting on other rooms such as the conservatory which left it unstaffed at times. This was good for me as I would probably have spent more!

I would stay again at Pendley but would know enough to make sure I get a room with level access shower for my husband. Husband loved the heat in the room as it felt great for his joint - for me - it was too hot but the heat can be regulated and over all the room was clean and neat. As this is the first time we have traveled since his eye sight worsened, it was a huge wake-up call. Other members of our party walked into Tring center (about 20 - 30 minutes) but he didn't feel able and was satisfied walking around the grounds.

As the layout of the hotel is a bit complex make sure you make reception aware of your disabled requirements. I just couldn't see how you could get a wheelchair into the place but I am sure there is a way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the hills.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Satrelives thank you for taking the time to write your comprehensive and kind review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the wedding you attended, please give our good wishes to the bride and groom.
I agree Tring is a lovely market town, we are fortunate to be nestled away on the outskirts, although still with easy access to the town, station and motorway links. Good to hear you had chance for a stroll of the grounds.
I am glad that you found the bedroom to be generally comfortable and some of the more “traditional” features conducive to your husband’s requirements. I do take on board your point about the lack of a clock in the bedroom, I suppose with mobile phones and modern technologies it is something that gets overlooked in a hotel bedroom. We will keep this in mind when we upgrade our bedrooms; good to hear the receptionist could keep you updated with the time.
I am glad to hear you had time to experience our leisure facilities and that our leisure manager was able to accommodate your needs.
You are correct we do have an accessible entrance to the hotel, via our conference and banqueting entrance.
I do hope that you keep in good health so we can welcome you back for an overnight stay in the near future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We recently stayed overnight and found the hotel to be great, the location is stunning and the staff excellent, they have a swimming pool that was warm and spotless however the changing rooms were a little cramped. On the whole a very good value hotel and will would stay their again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Jeff G thank you for taking the time to review us! I am glad you enjoyed the facilities and the staff looked after you. We do have an additional female changing room on the first floor, but as present only one male one I am afraid. Hope to welcome you back again soon.
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My girlfriend and I had a lovely stay at the hotel we were very happy with our four poster room and the facilities, the room and hotel was very clean the staff were very friendly and welcoming all at a bargain of a price! The swimming pool was very nice and clean and was quiet for a relaxing swim! so was the sauna and steam room. The food at the restaurant was delicious what we didn't have to wait long for with superb service! All in all it was a great weekend and we would go straight back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Harry B; I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for your kind words about the service you received. I hope you will be able to visit us again soon.
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night for my friend Steve birthday do. Hotel is very nice a little over warm but on the whole it's very clean and nice with friendly staff. Rooms are very nice and the hotel if full of nice cosy rooms. Breakfast was very nice all the food was fresh and well presented and the staff were on hand to keep the coffee topped up.
The evening do was a hog roast which was very good and the bar had some nice side pocket beer a local brew from Tring little over priced but very nice. Staff needed a little bit of training in running the bar but they did well.
Would I go back well yes I would

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Trevor P thank you for your review I pleased to hear that your enjoyed your friend’s birthday celebrations with us. I am glad to hear that on a busy Sunday morning the breakfast was plentiful and the restaurant staff attentive. We hope you will visit us again soon to enjoy another Tring Brewery Side Pocket also sold in our residents bar!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
The Grove Hotel
The Penny Farthing Hotel
The Penny Farthing Hotel
#2 of 2 in Berkhamsted
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!