“Luxury mini break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
London
“Luxury mini break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We staid to celebrate my wife's birthday. I found a voucher which offered a great deal - bed breakfast and dinner. This is a wonderful old manor house, the old part has some great old wooden panelling and a grand stair case. We arrived in the afternoon and my wife went for some spa treatment while I did some work in the room. Room massive, four poster bed, two comfortable chairs and table by the double windows. Bar great and a quiet buzz, dinner superb, as was the wine selection. Spa I'm told was friendly too. Staff not overly cloying, just right. Grounds great for a stroll to get a breath of fresh air too. Highly recommend. Even with the voucher, not cheap, but then you do have to pay a bit for such good quality. We want to come back when the do the outdoor Shakespeare in the summer!

Room Tip: A room in the old section would mean you get to walk up that fabulous staircase every night...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
RavenscourtMike, thanks for your review. It is really nice to read how much you and your wife enjoyed your visit and to know that every aspect met with your approval.

Belated birthday wishes to your wife, we hope to welcome you both back for our summer Shakespeare Festival

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Had an overnight stay on a travelzoo deal with our teenage son. A family room , abit dated but clean and really big. Used the pool and sauna etc. Played snooker and they had a pleasant bar and conserveratory area which was nice to sit and have a drink and play cards etc. Had a 3 course meal included which was good. Check the drinks bill as we had a few mistakes when we went to check out. They rectified this and was no hassle.
Breakfast was buffet style and had a big choice. For £99 this was an excellent deal. We have booked to go back on another deal which includes zoo tickets. I would recommend pendley for a good value family break.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you marce13, it sounds as if you and your family had a nice relaxing stay with us, which is exactly what I would have hoped for. Thanks for your positive comments; we hope to welcome you back soon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I went with friends to Pendley Manor for afternoon tea to celebrate my birthday.
From arrival to departure the experience was dreadful. We were told to go through to the conservatory where we stood waiting for a member of staff to appear eventually seating ourselves at a table that was set for four. The bar man finally turned up and asked which tea we wanted to drink at which point we asked him for menus from which to make a choice.
The sandwiches were just ok, the scones quite hard, the jam and the cream both very inferior and the little cakes looked as though they were from an Iceland foodstores frozen pack ( as seen on TV). We had a glass of champagne each and had to ask for the tea by which time we had finished the sandwiches. Later I had to go into the bar to ask the bar man for the bill. He was obviously over stretched having to cope with the bar and the conservatory single handed but it really wasn't good enough.
The price reflected the service and the food I suppose at only£16.95

I agree with another reviewer in recommending Hartwell House near Aylesbury & suggest that the manager at Pendley take their staff there for Afternoon Tea to see how it should be done. It is more expensive at £25 but having visited there last Wednesday and throughly enjoyed their sandwiches, fresh scones, with seemingly home
made jam, proper thick cream and fabulous & decorative cakes I know which one I will be going back to.

• Stayed January 2014
      Cleanliness
JaiRose; This is so disappointing and I can only say how sorry I am, it’s such a shame that you didn’t let me know of this at the time, I’m quite sure we could have gone a long way to putting thinks right there and then. As it is, please do telephone me at the Hotel, I would love to arrange to meet you and hopefully restore your confidence in us.

Travellers are raving about these Tring hotels

herts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Where to start? The hotel is set in a nice area although the grounds are not as large as some other country hotels I've stayed at. However, on a cold February, the grounds were not that important. The problem is, that like so many of these country hotels, it has lacked investment over time. The hotel feels dated. The room was fine, a good size (not really worth the extra money for the 4-poster) but although clean, there was dust under the telly and in other places. Not quite the attention to detail you would expect for the price. The tv was old with limited channels, again showing the lack of investment. The room was very hot, heated by radiators which on one hand are good due to no noisy heating systems but we had to open the patio doors to let air in as it was so stuffy. Of course we couldn't leave these doors open when sleeping. I am not a fan of air con but I couldn't see any and I wonder what it must be like in summer?

The bed was fine and a firm mattress was nice. There was some work going on in the hotel which was a bit annoying as we had gone there to relax, not listen to drilling but to be fair it didn't last too long.

The pool was small but at least there was one but the changing rooms were very small and the mens wasn't that clean although my partner reported the ladies was fine. There was a nice steam room and sauna but you had to get thee via a cold and dirty underground tunnel. Very strange but I guess that's the layout.

There was evidence that some areas were being updated but it looked slightly cheap and almost laminate.

It is such a pity that the investment has not been there as with some TLC, this could be so much better and given the cost of the room, then it needs the money spent.

On the plus side, there is free wifi which is very good and the staff were courteous and attentive. We ran out of tea bags and phoned down for more and they were with us within a minute which was excellent. Good staff can go a long way to making a stay better so thank you to them.

Breakfast was good and the dining room has had money spent on it and was a lovely room for dining.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the extra cost of a 4poster bed. Not worth it.
2 Thank turnipgreen
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
turnipgreen; thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us.
Firstly on a positive note, it really is great to read that you found my colleagues courteous and attentive – as you so rightly say good staff do make the difference – I will be certain to pass on your kind comments.
I do of course take your point regaling investment; indeed the company has been heavily investing in the property for a number of years with such costly items such as new roofs taking precedence, to our public areas which are now complete with the remaining function rooms due to be completed within the month. The next phase is focused on our bedroom stock, and those issues which you mention around that.
Thanks again for your time, your remarks both positive and critical are appreciated and are helpful to me in determining our next phase of investment.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

We booked with Pendley Manor after seeing a very good deal which included Bed, Breakfast and a 3 course set meal.

On arriving at the hotel the exterior is very grand and the grounds are well kept. The entrance/reception is great looking and we were greeted by friendly staff while we booked in. However we were then shown to our room and this is when the standards started to slip. We first noticed the stifling temperature, even in the corridor it was very hot, unbearable almost. On entering the room strait away we went to turn the heating down but the radiators were not on, My partner being a heating engineer stated that the hot water system was making the room so hot. We opened a window but this didn't help much at all. We visited the hotel in February so who knows how hot the rooms get in the summer. There is no air ventilation at all.

The rooms themselves were very disappointing. The four poster bed was very shabby with miss-mashed linen. Not the glamorous bed we were hoping for. The decor was appalling, really dated wallpaper with a border round the middle (the decorator couldn't even get that level so where it met at the window one side was lower than the other). The bathroom was clean but shabby, rust on all the taps, cracks on the tiling. The bathroom suite had clearly been installed to a low standard. There was also not any fridge in the room with cold drinks, so waking up at 3am i needed a drink and got a glass of tap water. This was Luke warm from the cold tap even after running it for 5 mins.

The restaurant however made up for the shabby rooms. The service and food was excellent, even on the set menu.

Now here comes the info on the pool and spa....The changing rooms are very small with no private changing facilities other than a toilet and a shower cubicle. The pool itself is clean and warm, but the tiles surrounding the pool are very slippy and not enough non-slip mats are provided. I can see accidents waiting to happen here! We decided to make full use of the sauna and steam room, this involved going down some stairs, through a door and a long cold corridor, through another door and then you reach the steam room and sauna, which by the way is only accessible by using your room key-card. We had left ours in the locker so went to venture back up to the pool only to find you have to use your room key-card to get back to the pool. Therefore we were stuck in a corridor in wet swimsuits! There was a small sign explaining you needed your key-card but it would have been nice for the man handing out the towels to explain this.

So overall I wasn't impressed with this hotel. I'm only glad I got a good deal as I’d have been furious if I’d have paid full price.

Room Tip: A ground floor room should be cooler due to the hot water system giving off so much heat. Ask the po...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jayjay-northampton
Jayjay-northampton thank you for taking to the time to write a comprehensive review of your recent stay with us. The exterior to the building is quite beautiful. I am pleased to read that your welcome and check in were efficient. As you walked through the public areas to your bedroom, and no doubt visited during your stay, you will have seen the work which we have already undertaken to restore the grandeur to the building with what we hope to be a modern and sympathetic approach. The refurbishment programme is continuing apace, we have recently upgraded the public toilets and are in the process of working on the syndicate conference rooms and will soon move onto our last main conference room. The bedrooms will be the next phase in the programme along with all elements of heating and plumbing, I am sure you can appreciate this is a significant undertaking which needs careful planning. I am pleased to read that the food quality and service you received in the restaurant was excellent and will be sure to pass on your kind comments to my colleagues.
Billericay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and I stayed for one night, taking advantage of the travel zoo offer. Check-in was efficient and our room with fourposter bed was large and airy and perfectly acceptable. The bathroom had shampoo and shower gel but no body lotion. The room was well equipped, the tv was a little dated, although this was not a problem for us.
We used the gym, swimming pool. hot tub and steam room. All of which were pretty good, although there was an unusual link between the pool and steam room/gym.
Dinner was very good, although it was a pity our waiter didn't know the difference between the red wine glass and the water glass. Breakfast the next morning was excellent. The late check out was appreciated and efficient.
All in all this was an extremely good value short break.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Trevor W thank you for the review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and felt it to be good value.. We appreciate the tunnel down to the sauna area is a little quirky, however this is in the manor basement and we therefore a little problematic, having said that we are currently working with structural engineers to come up with an innovative solution which will transform this area.
Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Have used this hotel several times before for short breaks. Previous experience was high class at mid to upper cost. Seems now that standards are going down while costs are going up. Some areas certainly looked tired and in need of attention. Menus also seem to have been cut back with A La Carte not appreciably longer than Table d’hôte.
Most notable difference was however in service, and this is where it is a tale of two halves. Our first evening dinner there [Monday] and the following breakfast was a high standard of service. Shift change at noon on second day [Tuesday] was a watershed. Our second evening started with no table service in the bar, a forty five minute wait to obtain menus, place order, and get to sit down at a pre-booked table. It was an abrupt drop in service standard perhaps epitomised by the waiter arriving with my wife’s main course of guinea fowl to enquire which one of us was having the chicken. Breakfast the following morning was little better where we seemed to have to ask continually for basic things. There was a lack of attention to detail as in lack of condiments and a failure in joined up thinking that for example toast might require some butter to be provided.
None of these service things were major but the difference between two days was quite marked and jarred badly. It would seem reasonable that if you are paying eye watering high prices then a good quality of service should be a given. Based on our experience this time you have only a 50 / 50 chance of getting it.

3 Thank ASC_Surrey
Thank you for taking the time to review us ASC_Surrey; although I am disappointed to read that the whole stay was not to your expectation. I have discussed with the restaurant manager your difficulties on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning, which I understand was much busier than anticipated; that said we do apologise for the unacceptable fluctuation in service levels due to this. I assure that your experiences on the first night of your stay are more indicative of our usual service standards and that you will revisit us in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Sopwell House
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,173 reviews

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!