“Two nights at the end of walking The Ridgeway”

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Excellent welcoming and general staff in this slightly decadent hotel which is showing signs of needing a makeover. For the first night we occupied room 116, directly over the foyer. It may be very nice having peacocks roaming the grounds, but had I the means or energy to do so, murder would have been on the agenda at 4:00am, and they would probably have been very tasty as well. Things like the loo running water all the time and other signs of lack of care needed attention. We requested being moved for our second night, which was attended to promptly, and our sleep was much improved as a result, although again there was the feeling that the room needed a little more love and attention. We ate in both nights, and service was excellent, although food quality was slightly less good. Breakfast also good, but offering a greater range of cereals would improve things. On the second day the cooked breakfasts were not as hot as on the first day. Overall we felt well cared for!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

MirabileDictwo thank you for choosing to recover from, your lengthy walk at Pendley Manor and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please accept my apologies for the issue that you reported with the bathroom, once we were aware of this, our Maintenance team were able to remedy. The peacocks that roam are an acquired taste and unfortunately going into season at the moment which although makes them very beautiful it also means they are demonstrating their vocals more than normal at present! I am glad to hear the team were able to remedy the noise issue for your second night and your sleep was not disturbed. I will certainly share your kind comments with the team and ensure that your comments about Breakfast are passed to the Chef. We look forward to welcoming you again soon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Pendley Manor hotel has lovely staff and superb breakfast. We stayed (Mum, Dad & 1 child), in a twin room with 2 double beds. The bedroom was tired and would appreciate a refurbishment. The metal soap holder dropped off the wall due to rust when my daughter was in the shower, completely un-provoked, and bruised her ankle! But the public areas are very pleasant. We booked into the restaurant for dinner, but cancelled after seeing the menu - definitely not suitable for a nine year old's palate, and more formal than we wanted. The breakfast was delicious, and I'm sure was an indication of what the dining room would provide at night. The grounds are lovely and peacocks were wandering free and very tame. With a bit of care lavished on the bedrooms this hotel could go to a five rating.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Lola48-07 thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, particularly with the presence of the peacocks; they often try and check-in themselves! Please accept my apologies about the soap dish I do hope that your daughter was ok. I am sorry you did not find the evening menu suitable for your requirements, we do have a children’s menu as well; I hope one of the team was able to show you this. Pleased to hear that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast and that the team looked after you well. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived early to change for a wedding in the hotel. The hotel had previously agreed that there would probably be a room but I was brusquely told that there wasn't - no apology. When I protested I was offered the swimming pool changing rooms

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Helenapple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Helenapple, thank you for your Tripadvisor review, I do hope you enjoyed the wedding! We have many people who stay at the hotel who are either attending a wedding taking place here or in the locality of the hotel. Due to the general timings of weddings and travelling time, often people will ask us for an early check-in, our response to this is always the same. “It is not something that we can guarantee but we will check you in if we have a room available”. Given that our check out time is 12pm, we do not always have time to turn the bedrooms around to facilitate an earlier check in than our standard 2.30pm time. My apologies if this is the case on the day you were due to stay. I note that you were told there would “probably” be a room ready. I am glad the team were able to give you an option of somewhere to change as I assume you had to travel to the hotel from some distance. I understand your upset and frustration, we do try and accommodate whenever we can. The team are dependent on the guests from the night before checking out and the housekeeping team working as swiftly as they can. I am sure that the following morning on your departure day they did not ask you to leave your room early for the next person who wanted an early check-in.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Excellent! Family celebration weekend of adults and children. Used and enjoyed all the facilities and fabulous grounds. Private murder theme dinner for 14 in the evening with fine food and wine.The staff were good and catered for all our needs.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Peter H, many thanks for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to review your experience. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, including the Murder Mystery. Thank you for highlighting the service offered by the team members – I will pass your comments on to those on duty. We look forward to welcoming you back to Pendley Manor in the future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for my husband's birthday. I purchased a deal from the travelzoo website.

The hotel is easy to find and in a good location close to Tring.

Upon arrival at the hotel the friendly receptionist checked us in early and the helpful concierge showed us to our room.

The room was a little disappointing as needed refurbishment but was adequate. I know the hotel will be refurbishing the bedrooms soon.
Unfortunately there is not a mini bar and very little plug sockets.

I had an excellent facial in the spa and the facilities looked good but we didn't use them.

Dinner in the restaurant was good but the staff really are a credit to the hotel as they are very welcoming.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning after the refurb.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lucyt2906

Lucyt2906, thank you for your recent visit and subsequent review. We are in the process of planning for our bedroom refurbishment programme – we appreciate your comments about additional sockets and will certainly pass these on to the design team. On a more positive note, I was delighted to note that you were well looked after by all of our team members from your early check in onwards; I will certainly share your comments with the team whom will appreciate the recognition. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Excellent surroundings; service;and value for money in lovely countryside.
We were provided with a brief history of the building which was very informative
Will certainly visit again for hopefully a stay this time

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ednkay

Ednkay, thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Pendley Manor for afternoon tea. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience, especially the history and setting of our historic hotel. Thank you for scoring us highly for ‘service’, I will certainly share your kind comments with the team. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We got a lovely four-poster room with separate sitting area on a special deal for £100 for one night. We loved the olde-worldness of the place and the quality feel of the building and rooms. We didn't use the bar or restaurant as we ate out somewhere cheaper! If you can get a deal like we did I would highly recommend staying here. The car park is big and right outside. The room was old fashioned and the furnishings were a little dated but just what you want to get the atmosphere of staying somewhere like this. There were some lovely antiques dotted about the room and the separate sitting area with further TV was great for having somewhere else to hang-out as standard hotel rooms can often be claustrophobic.

Room Tip: Try a four poster with separate sitting area, it really makes the stay special and is like being in...