“Break Away”

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and i, were looking for a hotel near the Harry Potter Studio and came across Pendley manor. I have a terminal illness, so we required a hotel room with disabled access for my mobility scooter and a hotel that was happy to except medical equipment with a first aid staff on duty.
We decided to stay for a week and have a proper break as my husband is my carer 24/7, we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and ambiance of the hotel, the staff were attentive but not to much to disturb your holiday. The breakfast was amazing and always lovely and hot and my husband was pleased with the self service so you could eat as much or as little as you required which was a bonus for me as i feel awful leaving food!!!!! All the staff that we came across were pleasant and pleased to help, as it was so lovely we ate in the bar or restaurant most days, we never had any complaints about the food and drinks, we found it very reasonably priced for the quality of food we received. We had no problems with our room and received everything my husband asked for and the cleaning staff were very understanding if i had gone back to sleep after breakfast and they always tried to do our room when we were at breakfast. We enjoyed the spa pool facilities available and also noticed there was a snooker table but we didnt get the opportunity. Nothing was to much trouble from an extra Tea Bag to wanting guidance on spa treatments, I would be happy to stay again and hopefully will do soon

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Kay B, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Naturally, I was saddened to read of the reason for your specific requests for your stay.
I was delighted to read that the team were accommodating to your specific needs throughout your stay and I will certainly share you kind comments with the team.
We certainly hope to welcome you again soon for your next visit to Harry Potter or one of the many other local attractions such as Whipsnade Zoo or Butterfly World. Thank you for your comments.

There are newer reviews for Pendley Manor Hotel

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I've Been meaning to post a review on Pendley Manor but have prevaricated unecessarily...

I've stayed at this Hotel 3 days per week from September last year to March this year and I must admit the Hotel is way overpriced for what it has to offer...I don't know where to start from...I couldn't have had a descent shower from most rooms as the water pressure was almost non existent meaning it took me ages having a shower every morning...there are some rooms that have been recently decorated and a bit modernised but MOST Rooms haven't!.The Bar Prices are absolutely ludicrous and were raised by a further 10%, at Xmas-To give you an idea a pint of basic European Beeri costs £5.50! I paid these sorts of prices whilst in Brussels and Venice to be honest and this hotel is nowhere nearer a big city!

The elements that are good are the cleanliness,the staf,it's variety/ quality of breakfast and surrounding grounds/gardens...

It seems that the Greedy owner of this hotel (it seems to be owned by an individual) do not have the descency or the moral Filotimo to pass anything of value for money to the average guest..

The only reason I kept on stopping there all that time was due to the excellent location it had to the company I was working at the time.To be frank, the stay per night only should be in the region of £50-60 per night, tops!

The roooms to AVOID BY ALL MEANS are in the centre of the Hotel and they are 114-116 , 107-112 and 201-209.

I don't want any reply by the management of the Hotel, as I have stopped there for many nights and they all know about these issues which I've consistently mentioned to them,time and time again...

Thx
A.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms 114-116 , 107-112 and 201-209.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ANDY D

Andy D, thank you for taking the time to comment about your experiences with us. Naturally, your comments have come as a bit of a surprise to me as your dissatisfaction clearly has existed for quite a period of time. When we receive feedback from all guests, we endeavour to resolve or remedy the situation swiftly, so it quite frustrating for us to only be made of your concerns after your many stays with us. Please do, however, accept my apologies that you did not enjoy our normally high standards of guest comfort.
I am sorry that you felt our bar prices are high. We last altered our prices in April 2013 and a pint of draught beer has been £4.50 for over 12 months. We do not alter our standard prices for Christmas or any other event. Our prices are competitive with other local establishments.
We have yet to commence our refurbishment of guest bedrooms; this is anticipated for later in the year. However, some small scale alterations are already underway, including upgrades to the plumbing systems in the older part of the Hotel that you refer to. Many regular guests continue to specifically request rooms in this part of the Hotel.
On a more positive note, I was pleased to read that the team, our location, standards of Housekeeping and breakfast were consistently high throughout your experiences with us. Thank you for highlighting these.
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and we will certainly endeavour to use your comments in a positive manner.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel was very disappointing...it did not match the internet images!
This is a very tired hotel. The rooms have shabby 50s style decor. Our room had a grubby carpet, very run down bathroom fittings with no cold water pressure. I would not recommend this hotel. It is very overpriced.

Room Tip: Do so at another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Geri B
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Geri B thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Naturally it is disappointing to receive such negative feedback. It would be useful if you could make contact with us so that we can explore your comments in more detail so that we can ascertain date of stay and room number allocated. We are in the process of refurbishing the public areas of the building; which I hope you had chance to experience, whilst you were here. The hotel bedrooms will be the next area we move onto when the conference rooms are completed. In general our room tariffs are competitive for the area and type of property – however, our apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. We hope to hear from you soon so that we can use your feedback in a proactive manner.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Excellent welcoming and general staff in this slightly decadent hotel which is showing signs of needing a makeover. For the first night we occupied room 116, directly over the foyer. It may be very nice having peacocks roaming the grounds, but had I the means or energy to do so, murder would have been on the agenda at 4:00am, and they would probably have been very tasty as well. Things like the loo running water all the time and other signs of lack of care needed attention. We requested being moved for our second night, which was attended to promptly, and our sleep was much improved as a result, although again there was the feeling that the room needed a little more love and attention. We ate in both nights, and service was excellent, although food quality was slightly less good. Breakfast also good, but offering a greater range of cereals would improve things. On the second day the cooked breakfasts were not as hot as on the first day. Overall we felt well cared for!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

MirabileDictwo thank you for choosing to recover from, your lengthy walk at Pendley Manor and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please accept my apologies for the issue that you reported with the bathroom, once we were aware of this, our Maintenance team were able to remedy. The peacocks that roam are an acquired taste and unfortunately going into season at the moment which although makes them very beautiful it also means they are demonstrating their vocals more than normal at present! I am glad to hear the team were able to remedy the noise issue for your second night and your sleep was not disturbed. I will certainly share your kind comments with the team and ensure that your comments about Breakfast are passed to the Chef. We look forward to welcoming you again soon

Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Pendley Manor hotel has lovely staff and superb breakfast. We stayed (Mum, Dad & 1 child), in a twin room with 2 double beds. The bedroom was tired and would appreciate a refurbishment. The metal soap holder dropped off the wall due to rust when my daughter was in the shower, completely un-provoked, and bruised her ankle! But the public areas are very pleasant. We booked into the restaurant for dinner, but cancelled after seeing the menu - definitely not suitable for a nine year old's palate, and more formal than we wanted. The breakfast was delicious, and I'm sure was an indication of what the dining room would provide at night. The grounds are lovely and peacocks were wandering free and very tame. With a bit of care lavished on the bedrooms this hotel could go to a five rating.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Lola48-07 thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, particularly with the presence of the peacocks; they often try and check-in themselves! Please accept my apologies about the soap dish I do hope that your daughter was ok. I am sorry you did not find the evening menu suitable for your requirements, we do have a children’s menu as well; I hope one of the team was able to show you this. Pleased to hear that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast and that the team looked after you well. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived early to change for a wedding in the hotel. The hotel had previously agreed that there would probably be a room but I was brusquely told that there wasn't - no apology. When I protested I was offered the swimming pool changing rooms

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Helenapple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Helenapple, thank you for your Tripadvisor review, I do hope you enjoyed the wedding! We have many people who stay at the hotel who are either attending a wedding taking place here or in the locality of the hotel. Due to the general timings of weddings and travelling time, often people will ask us for an early check-in, our response to this is always the same. “It is not something that we can guarantee but we will check you in if we have a room available”. Given that our check out time is 12pm, we do not always have time to turn the bedrooms around to facilitate an earlier check in than our standard 2.30pm time. My apologies if this is the case on the day you were due to stay. I note that you were told there would “probably” be a room ready. I am glad the team were able to give you an option of somewhere to change as I assume you had to travel to the hotel from some distance. I understand your upset and frustration, we do try and accommodate whenever we can. The team are dependent on the guests from the night before checking out and the housekeeping team working as swiftly as they can. I am sure that the following morning on your departure day they did not ask you to leave your room early for the next person who wanted an early check-in.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Excellent! Family celebration weekend of adults and children. Used and enjoyed all the facilities and fabulous grounds. Private murder theme dinner for 14 in the evening with fine food and wine.The staff were good and catered for all our needs.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Peter H, many thanks for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to review your experience. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, including the Murder Mystery. Thank you for highlighting the service offered by the team members – I will pass your comments on to those on duty. We look forward to welcoming you back to Pendley Manor in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Sopwell House
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#7 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!