“A hard one to gauge....”

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Guelph, Canada
“A hard one to gauge....”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was here on business for two nights. If you read the reviews you will see that the staff are pretty quirky and when I say this what I mean is that the staff have a pretty wide range of customer service capabilities. Some staff are impressive while others are so, well, bad, that it's hard to fathom how the place runs. I liked the quirkiness for a business trip as it made it entertaining but I would have some misgivings about bringing my wife for a weekend away.

Here is just one example: they won't let you order off the restaurant menu while sitting in the pub. If you are alone on business then you really don't want to eat in a fine dining restaurant. Not a whole lot of empathy when I asked the question either - just "no, we don't allow that." There are a few of these odd interactions while you stay there. Nothing that is an affront, just not the best service.

I actually though the food was pretty good.

All in all you won't go "wrong" here. It's very quaint. And Yes, the place needs some repairs. It's satisfactory... but if you hunt around for other accommodation then you can probably do better for the money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
#1Vancouverite, thank you for choosing Pendley Manor and for taking the time to comment on your stay. Please accept my apologies that you found some of our team members to not be as flexible as we would wish – feedback about the service provided by our team is usually very good. I will certainly share your comments about your dining arrangements with our Kitchen & Restaurant team. Due to the style of cuisine we offer on the Restaurant Menus we have found that it requires the more formal dining setting, hence why we tend not to offer these menus in the bar. That said our menus are under review by Chef at the moment and we hope to be able to bridge this gap in the near future. On a positive note, I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us and found most staff to be impressive. We certainly hope to welcome you again soon and will certainly aim to use your comments in a more positive manner going forwards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I am not one to moan but.... I would of rathered put the money we spent on this place down a drain ! Our room was up some disgusting thread baring carpet that lead up to our room and above the door it looked like a workman had drilled and left a pile of saw dust behind. The room was very basic, 4 posted bed they advertise, yes and it had dusty disgusting curtains around it, the shower was useless the spa wasnt working, the walk way from the swimming pool to the so called spa area was that bad i wouldnt of been surprised to see rats !! There was some french woman on reception who could barely speak a word of english ! A french guy in the shakespeare bar again couldnt speak english, didnt even know what a malibu and pineapple was and then charged me £6,75 ! I would not reccomend this hotel to my worst enemy, do not waste your money, the hotel is disgraceful and i will be complaining directly to the hotel and going from the conversations being had with other guest, id say that they will be inendated with emails this morning. DO NOT BOOK !!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lizbanks10
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Lizbanks10, thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Naturally it is disappointing to receive such negative feedback. Due to the anonymity of your review, I am not aware of the date of your stay or the room number allocated and cannot comment specifically about your experience. I am not aware of you reporting your evident dissatisfaction during your stay – clearly, had we have been aware of your feelings at the time, we would have endeavoured to address your apparent concerns at the time. Your comments about the performance of the team are surprising as most of our feedback about the standards of Housekeeping and team performance is usually very high.
It would be useful if you could make contact with us so that we can explore your comments in more detail. We hope to hear from you soon so that we can use your feedback in a proactive manner.

Travellers are raving about these Tring hotels

london
Reviewed 5 May 2014

we got a wonderful deal on this hotel. Four poster bed room (which is really large with a seating area too) three course dinner and breakfast. I shall certainly look for it again. lovely grounds with peacocks roaming freely and lots of wild rabbits. The staff were all very friendly, helpful and nice. The food was excellent( although expensive if not on the deal).There is a gym and indoor pool to use, a bar and plenty of parking. The bathrooms are a little dated but really it is an old manor and seemed in keeping to me, would be nice if the shower was more powerful though. Lovely towels and an extremely comfy bed...thank-you very much I hope we will be back

Room Tip: four poster was romantic...had second floor no noise at all overlooking gardens
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Luckymelondon, many thanks for choosing to to stay with us at Pendley Manor and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience with us, notably the bedroom, our Restaurant, rural location and leisure facilities. I note your comments about the bathroom and I am pleased to inform you that a refurbishment is planned to commence later in the year for our bedrooms, we will certainly endeavour to maintain the character of the building during this project. I will certainly share your kind comments about our customer service levels with the team, whom I am sure will appreciate the recognition. Thank you for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you again soon
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had our 40th anniversary party at Pendley and together with our guests we occupied about 20 rooms. The bedroom was lovely, very clean and overlooking the lawns and gardens at the back of the hotel. The bed was very comfortable and room service very prompt and lovely food. The party was excellent and the staff who ran the event and the staff behind the bar were very efficient and friendly. In fact many of our guests remarked on the helpfulness and friendliness of all the staff. Breakfast was all I expect when I stay in a hotel and checkout wasn't until 12 so we had lots of time. Overall very impressed and a big thank you to Pendley Manor

Room Tip: guests occupied many areas of hotel, all good reports
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Shirley T, many thanks for choosing to host your celebration with us at Pendley Manor and for writing a review about your experience. Congratulations on your Anniversary. I was delighted to read that you found the bedroom comfortable and our housekeeping standards to be high. I will certainly share your kind comments about the levels of customer service with the team who will appreciate the recognition. Thank you for highlighting this. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed for one night after a wedding reception. The hotel is a lovely old building, and our room was very comfortable. The beds were excellent.

Didn't make it to breakfasat the next day but the reception and evening were well organised, and everyone had a great time

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Nana_Sadie, many thanks for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write a review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the room to be very comfortable. I will certainly share your kind comments about the Wedding celebrations with the team who were on duty, I am sure that they will appreciate your positive feedback. We hope to welcome you back again soon when you will hopefully be able to enjoy one of our breakfasts.
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I booked this as a surprise for my Dads 86th birthday .I wanted the old elegant charm and the wow factor and I can say I wasn't disappointed.As we pulled into the grounds we were greeted by a white peacock and grand entrance hall. The staff there were soo nice and helpful and all wished Dad a happy birthday as he was wearing his badge. The food was lovely and a great selection for breakfast. I was worried as we had a large party about getting a table but there was one already reserved for us. The décor of the main house was beautiful .There were many little rooms to explore and secret tunnels to the sauna and pool room. There is ramps throughout the building but no room pacifically adapted for disabled people eg walk in shower or higher toilet seats although rails were in place and the beds were very comfortable. Tesco is just down the road and Tring zoological free museum is just a few mile away .I got to relax in the pool and even had a relaxing massage (but you must pre book this before you go to save disappointment.)

Room Tip: take an extension lead or borrow one from reception as plugs are all on wall opposite to bed.Ask at...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Flopsy2014, thank you for booking your Fathers birthday celebrations with us and for taking the time to comment on your experience. We are in the process of finalising plans for our bedroom refurbishment, part of which will see the redevelopment of our accessible bedrooms and also the adaption of additional bedrooms for improved accessibility. Your comments about additional sockets are certainly useful and will be shared with the project team. I was delighted to read that the Restaurant team looked after your group and that they helped your father enjoy his special day. I Weill certainly share your kind comments with the team on duty. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. Thank you for your review.
staines
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Pendley Manor on Easter Sunday. We had an idea of what to expect as we don't book anywhere without consulting trip advisor first. We had a lovely four poster room which was better than in the photos. It was nice and clean . Lovely white bed linnen. Yes true , the room was tired, but the price reflected this.
The staff were very attentive , polite and friendly. We found this from every member of staff.
Our evening meal was delightful. I thought the dinning room was romantic and the atmosphere was formal but relaxing. The service was outstanding, never having to wait too long but not rushed.I highly recommend dinning at the hotel.The breakfast was also very good , we particularly liked the fact that the buffet was in an adjoining room, which meant the dinning area maintained its quiet relaxed feel.
We felt that the staff needed a special mention as they appear to be working very hard to keep the guests happy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Summer_day68 thank you very much for your kind review and may I take this opportunity to wish you a belated happy anniversary. I am glad you chose to stay with us taking an objective view of our reviews. I am very pleased to hear that the team looked after you well for your celebration and that you enjoyed your dining experiences, both at dinner and breakfast. I will ensure that I share your comments with them. I am glad to hear the bedroom was better than you had envisaged, although we look forward to refurbishment, we still try to deliver clean, large, comfortable bedrooms until the next phase gets underway. The public areas including the restaurant and bar, are areas where we have already completed our refurbishment, we hope to continue this theme in the rest of the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
The Grove Hotel
#6 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
De Vere Latimer Estate
De Vere Latimer Estate
#1 of 2 in Chesham

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!