“The laminated hotel guide set the tone”

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I pulled up to the manor and were pleasantly surprised by the building and the surroundings. It was very beautiful and peaceful and we were hopeful for a lovely night away. The grounds had a number of roaming peacocks and wild rabbits, which added to the experience.

We were booked into a double room, which was very big to be honest, but just a bit shabby and dated all round. We had a four poster bed - absolutely fine, but didn't scream grandeur in perhaps the way that was hoped. As we explored the room, we noticed that there was no iron or ironing board, limited tea and coffee supplies and a single biscuit for 2 people, no complimentary water, a very dated hair dryer and limited toiletries in the bathroom. To top it off the bathroom and the TV looked like they hadn't been updated for a number of years - the TV itself had very limited channels. And then there was the laminated hotel guide...it just seemed tacky. We were offered free WiFi, but couldn't get any reception in our room, which was a real shame.

We made use of the spa facilities and our treatments were okay. We enjoyed a nice dip in the pool. It was such a shame that the changing rooms were tiny and the all communal areas were very exposed any time the door opened.

We didn't have dinner in the hotel, but had a drink on the way back to our room. The Shakespear bar is lovely and really interesting to look at all the programmes from the previous festivals. We will definitely be attending one of those in the future. Shame then that they'd run out of draught beer when we arrived.

Finally, we made our way down to breakfast. We are both vegetarians and I have to say that it was such a shame that the choices available were quite limited. Also, the sauces on offer were in plastic sachets - a real disappointment.

The staff throughout were lovely and we couldn't fault the service we received, but in all I don't think this was worth the money we spent. Our stay was pleasant as it was time for us to spend together away from the family, but we both agree that there wasn't very much more than pleasant.

3  Thank wendover_haggis
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hairy_Haggis, thank you for choosing to stay with us at Pendley Manor and for taking the time to share your comments with us. The anonymous nature of your review does make it impossible to ascertain the room allocated and comment on your stay specifically. However. It is worth noting that we are currently planning a refurbishment programme for the bedrooms which will modernise the rooms in a sympathetic manner to retain the history of the building; please accept my apologies that you found the room to be dated. It is worth highlighting for future guests that additional items for the Hospitality Tray or further toiletries can be requested from Reception 24 hours a day. Irons and alternative hair dryers are also available on request. Thank you for your comments about the Hotel information guides, we will certainly consider how we can alter the in room information packs going forwards.
I will share your comments about Breakfast with the Chef and his team. I was surprised to read that you did not find enjoy our breakfast variety – we usually receive positive comments about the quality and variety of our breakfast. Again, not knowing the specifics of your stay, I can comment further.
On a more positive note, I was pleased that you enjoyed the leisure facilities and the Shakespeare Bar. I was also delighted to read that you received excellent service from the team.

I would very much appreciate it if you could contact me directly so that we can discuss your experience in more detail and ascertain the dates of your stay so that we can investigate your feedback more thoroughly. We certainly hope to welcome you again soon and will endeavour to use your comments positively. Bookings for our Shakespeare festival are on sale online now, so please do have a look at this year’s packages.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,202)

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Beautiful location. Lovely room, super helpful and friendly staff and lovely meal......Murder Mystery entertainment was AWESOME! Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Pendley Manor and would definitely recommend!

1  Thank Neezie40
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Neezie40, thank you for joining us for one of our popular Murder Mystery events. I was pleased that you enjoyed the ‘Mystery’ as well as the meal and your overall stay. I hope that you managed to discover ‘who-dunnit’! I was particularly delighted to read your kind comments about the team and I will certainly share your comments with all team members. Thank you for your recommendations and we certainly hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We had the wood panelled Verney Room for 40 friends and family for lunch. Patrick and his staff looked after us all with friendly, relaxed, first class service. Canapes and lunch were lovely. We were all enjoying ourselves so much it was difficult to leave.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank S M

Dear S M, many thanks for commenting on your recent luncheon with us at Pendley Manor. I was delighted to read that Patrick and his team provided such professional service and that you enjoyed your meal. Thank you for also commenting on our historic Verney Room – I am pleased to note that this was a particular highlight. We look forward to welcoming you again. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Pendley Manor is a lovely manor house that has been transformed into a hotel, and my husband and I enjoy staying here. Our family lives nearby, and we come annually to England from California to visit them. We have stayed here twice now, in Setpember 2013, and again in May 2014, and really enjoyed are stay. The staff try really hard to please their guests, and they do a great job. This last time, we had a morning arrival, and the General Manager, Renee, so kindly had our room ready for us, so we could get right to bed after the 11 hour plane journey to England. The food is excellent, everything is very fresh, and we have never had a bad meal here. The bar fare is also very good, and if you don't feel like a fancy diner in their lovely, more formal restaurant, the bar menu is a nice, casual choice. We have stayed only in the suites, so can't speak to the regular rooms, but the suites are nicely appointed, the beds are HUGE and very comfortable. There is no AC here, but they provide fans for when it's really hot. This last stay, we also had a family luncheon for about 12 people, including two children, and Renee took care of everything for us. He set us up in the Peacock Lounge, and everyone had a wonderful, hot meal, that all arrived at the same time. They are very welcoming to children, and they are smart to do so, because this is a niche market that is untapped by the other nicer hotels in this area, that don't allow young children to their hotel or restaurants. On our 2013 stay, they welcomed our neice with her little baby to tea, and this stay, they welcomed our family with our 2-year old great nephew and 1-year old great neice. They also have a small, but nice SPA, and Jade, the massues there does a great job of massinging away the jet lag when we visit her! The smaller pool is very clean and lovely, enclosed since it's England, and there is also a jacuzzi. There is a gym and a sauna and steam room, but we haven't used those. Next time, we will have the family in for a snooker game, which we missed the last two times, but is availalbe to guests on a first come, first serve basis. All in all, this a wonderful place to stay, and we commend everyone at Pendley Manor for their excellent, warm service. And YES, they actually have beautiful, real, live peacocks roaming the grounds all day long, as well as other wonderful birds, rabbits, deer, and even bucks, if you are lucky enough to see them in the early evening! Enjoy Pendley Manor when you are in the picturesque Hertfordshire/Buckinghamshire area.

Room Tip: We recommend rooms on the East facing side of the hotel. The West side can be a little warm in the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

SisterMoon_08, many thanks for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us at Pendley Manor in such detail. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. I will certainly ensure that your kind comments are shared with the team members, especially those as whom you highlight as particularly going the extra mile. We do pride ourselves on our service levels and your kind review will certainly serve to motivate the team further. We look forward to your next visit with us and we certainly hope that you enjoyed the rest of your European trip. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Superb choice of venue for our Golden Wedding Celebration Lunch. With a temperature of 24 degrees C and glorious sunshine we were able to make use of the extensive hotel grounds to serve pre lunch drinks and canapes, before moving through to the Verney Room in the hotel for lunch. At our request the room had a square table setting with an open centre, to seat our party of 24, with the anniversary cake and wedding albums on display on the sideboard. We were served an excellent 3 course meal, with guests having preordered from a menu offering three choices at each course, and great care taken by the servers to ensure everyone received the meal they had ordered without any prompting from guests. White and red wine, with orange juice and water was served throughout the meal with servers ensuring glasses were kept topped up. Following short speeches and a champagne toast the occasion was rounded off with coffee and anniversary cake, and the whole occasion was most enjoyable with excellent support and organisation by Pendley Manor staff and mangement who were extremely efficient and professional thoughout.
The Pendley Manor venue was ideal for the occasion as a large traditional country mansion, set in its own extensive grounds, well away from the main road, and with peacocks roaming in the grounds to complete the rural setting, and extensive car parking facilities. Our thanks to the management and staff for for a truly memorable lunch.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Malcolm10; thank you very much for your recent review, following your Golden Wedding Anniversary Celebrations at the hotel. May I take this opportunity to wish you a belated “Congratulations” from us all, a very notable milestone! It is great to hear that you were able to make use of the grounds for your arrival drinks and canapés as the weather was kind. I wonder if it was as sunny 50 years ago? I am glad to hear that the day ran smoothly and efficiently I will be sure to share with the events, kitchen and restaurant teams your comments. I do hope we will see you at Pendley Manor again soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Fantastic hotel, room was amazing with 4 poster bed. Food fantastic. Facilities excellent. Cannot fault Pendley Manor. Staff very helpful and courteous.
Looking forward to returning again soon, perhaps for another murder mystery night.

1  Thank jax33
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Jax33 thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel; after your recent “murder mystery” trip to us. I do hope you managed to work out “who done it!” I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and will ensure that this is fed back to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Pendley Manor very soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

The hotel looks great and the public rooms have had a makeover but the room I was given was accessed by a very faded corridor and threadbare stairs. (refurbishment planned in sept14).

Food, its expensive but they did offer a set 4 course for £28 however the monkfish was served with cream and chive sauce over crushed new potatoes, looked nice but had too much richness as the potatoes were heavily oiled or buttered and with the sauce it was too rich. The cheese and biscuits had some smoked, some which included pickle and a nice bit of blue. Not a good after dinner selection. The service in the restaurant was however very good.

I went to bed at 10pm, I was very tired after a long day but when settling down I noticed their was a loud background noise from an extractor fan, tired I tried to ignore it but at 11.30pm I phoned reception to point it out. When after a reasonable time it still had not gone off I re dressed and went to reception, I was told that he had no authority to turn it off as if the gas is on it must be running, I asked that he get authority and do something about it immediately please.
After 15 minutes I returned to reception and asked why it was still on, he said that something was on a cleaning programme sorry but they were fully booked and even had other hotels phoning to see if they had rooms ( what, should I be grateful to be their or was this an explanation as to why I was not being offered a different room, I was not sure)
He said that he did not know how to turn things off and anyway could not leave reception, I explained that I have run many hotels and an a trained chef and will do it for him. At this stage a late arrival come in and he turned to me and said could you wait while I deal with this guest, at which point I explained that I was also a guest, was already their and had a problem which required urgent attention and should be dealt with first, I turned to the lady apologised and said I hope you understand which she did.
Are you getting the picture, I asked that the general manager be contacted and a resolution to the “I don’t have authority” sought. On my way back the bar staff emptied the bottles into the recycling bin but hey I was up anyway.
Back in my room I consulted Trip advisor and found that I am not the only one to have had this problem with a room, the general manager always replies looks for the good parts of the review and acknowledges them and says that he did not know about it at the time or that his managers were not informed following on to talk about the planned refurbishment.
I had to go back again as the noise had decreased but it was still noisy, their were 2 staff on now and I invited the senior one to come to the room and hear for himself, he declined and sent the night porter, the extractor was now off but the compressors for the fridges were making a lot of noise and this was as evident in the downstairs corridor as in my room. The night porter acknowledged it was noisy and started to suggest that he would see if I could move room (at 1.30am) I said as far as I was aware the were full and he looked surprised. Were they full, it did not feel like it.
I eventually got to sleep in a hot airless room as you could not open the window with all the noise only to be awakened at 6am by the chefs starting and you guessed it turning on the extractor.
I asked the duty manager to the room and explained the difficulty, he was apologetic but not able to offer any hope that tonight’s guest will be any better off. I said thet I expected the difficulty I had had to be reflected in the bill.

I did not bother with breakfast just went to book out, the bill was offered and their was a 20% reduction on the accommodation cost, I said that that was like the room unacceptable and I would not be paying for it only the cost of the meal which he quickly altered as other guests were coming in.

I have tried to be objective and on the night was as polite as I could be but this is not the way an establishment should be, Premier inn gets it that a hotel is to sleep comfortably in.

Its good practice for the general manager and other managers to stay a night in the rooms to finds out the real guest experience, if this was done this one would be removed from service until these issues are resolved.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room in the center of the old hotel, ther noise from fridge compresors is 24/7 and t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cavemans_Dad

Cavemans_Dad, thank you for staying with us at Pendley Manor and for taking the time to comment on your stay. Naturally, it is disappointing to receive negative feedback but we shall certainly aim to use your comments about the bedroom allocated when it comes to our forthcoming refurbishment. I have ascertained the room that was allocated to you and note that this room is indeed in the ‘Manor’ part of the Hotel. A significant challenge to upgrading a listed building is to do so in a sympathetic and permitted manner – however, we shall certainly be looking at how we can improve the sound insulation in the room that you were allocated during our refurbishment program. Services such as extraction from kitchen and plant rooms are essential as I am sure you will appreciate with your hospitality background. These are serviced regularly and utilised as a minimum to reduce disturbance, however, we will certainly be looking into any further improvements that can be made as part of our refurbishment. It is worth highlighting that many of our regular guests specially request rooms in the Manor part of the building.
We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention during your stay – it is always preferable to be given the opportunity to address any guest feedback at the time. However, the Hotel was fully booked on the night you stayed as the Night Supervisor reported to you, clearly, had an alternative room been available we would gladly have moved you. Unfortunately, on this occasion there were no alternatives.
I can only apologise if you felt the team members did not address your comments appropriately at the time. Naturally, there was an element of concern about switching of any equipment that may have prevented the operation of essential services. Following your experience, we will certainly be amending training and procedures to ensure that any ventilation equipment incorrectly left in operation after normal service hours is identified and shut down correctly and safely.
Members of the Management team, including myself do indeed stay over as duties dictate – we endeavour to utilise a full range of rooms and expect any staff to report any malfunctions or snagging issues.
I was pleased that you found a restaurant service to be good. I will, however, share your comments about our daily specials menu with the Chef.
We welcome all feedback from our guests and always strive to use it in a positive manner whether it be positive or negative. Thank you for your comments and our apologies that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit. We certainly hope that you will return, please do feel free to request a room in our ‘harcourt’ wing for your next stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Premier Inn Tring Hotel
#2 of 2 in Berkhamsted
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!