“Cream Tea”

Chale Bay Farm Tea Room & Garden
Price range: US$3 - US$14
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating
Description: Important Note: Since 2014 we have been focussing on our Guest House part of the business which is under a separate listing. We no longer operate as a Tea Room and so do not provide meals or cream teas passing trade or small bookings, though we occasionally cater events.
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Cream Tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

O dear what a disappointment, I had bought tickets previously for 3 Cream Tea's through a promotion running on an island web site. I thought that it would be a good opportunity to try out the local goodies on offer, so treated 2 of my friends to a well earned afternoon out. We could't have chosen a worse day weather wise but remained optimistic. On arrival the farm ticked all the right boxes, well sign posted, good size car park, lovely grounds and the entrance to the tea room was faultless. We were shown to a table and asked politely what we wanted. We had to wait a short time because the scones were still in the oven........O lovely, I thought, visualising a wonderful treat before me.
The tea arrived and the scones and thats where the excitement ended. 1 small Scone and the tiniest teaspoon of clotted cream with jam to match. Now by no means am I greedy but ahhhhh what a shame, I've had cream tea's before and all of them had been most generous but I'm sorry this one was a let down.
For the cost of an extra scone to add that wow factor, would be a very small price to pay............. and customers would come back time and time again!

, Owner at Chale Bay Farm Tea Room & Garden, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
It's suprising to see visitors make comments on the size of the home made scones and paucity of jam and cream when a visit to us will demonstrably show the opposite - even moreso when they mark down the value for money having paid the promotional price of just £1.95 each! Even at the non-promotional price (£3.95 for one but as little as £2.50 per head for a party of four) our cream teas are very competitively sized and priced for the Isle of Wight, with a substantial home made scone. The reviewer's comment about there being "the tiniest teaspoon" of jam and cream can be demonstrated to be factually incorrect - indeed the majority of guests have jam and cream left over! Although having only started offering cream teas to non-residents recently we already have numerous repeat visitors.