“Underwhelmed by cafe - Appalled by hygiene.”
Review of Octopus Garden Cafe - CLOSED

Octopus Garden Cafe
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I first visited this café in 2007 and was very happy with it and looked forward to returning this year during my holiday, as my children, partner and I are huge Beatles fans.

However, we were a bit unimpressed with the décor, there didn't seem to be as much memorabilia on the walls as before, the café was half the size and they had gotten rid of the yellow submarine counter which I felt was the impressive centre piece last time I visited. Also, it took around 20 minutes after our arrival for any music to even be played and then it kept stopping and starting.

The food was nice and reasonably priced, however it was a bit cold. We did not complain as we did not want it to just be put into a microwave.

The worst part for us was the hygiene problems. Firstly, I was given a milk jug for my tea which was encrusted with old milk, this was followed by a spoon with dried jam on the handle. The toilet room was VERY dirty as was the toilet bowl.
Outside the toilet, there is a platform with a baby-changing mat, directly next to this was a large section of crumbling plaster on the wall, desperately needing to be filled. This would be in direct reach of a baby whilst being changed.

Overall, NOT the experience we were hoping for when we made a journey to Cowes especially to visit the café.

4  Thank April P
octopusgardencowes, Owner at Octopus Garden Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear April,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to the cafe and I am very sorry that you were so disappointed. I appreciate your comment that you found the food both nice and reasonably priced and naturally I am horrified that you were handed a dirty spoon and milk jug. For this I apologise; it should not have happened.

I would like to clarify some points that you have raised regarding the decor etc. Firstly it was with immense regret that I had to give up one half of the premises. This was an attempt to reduce costs and the fact that there was less memorabilia than you remembered from 2007 is because I have been forced to sell much of it in order to pay essential bills. Sadly the Yellow Submarine counter was too big for the reduced area and was sacrificed to make way for more tables. The music was intermittent because it is supplied by a jukebox. We usually put around 50 free credits on it in the morning and invite people to choose their own songs which has proved very popular. I am sorry that you were not made aware of this but it merely required someone to push a few buttons.

FInally may I add that the washroom is cleaned every evening and towels replenished during the day if necessary. I am sorry that you found it to be dirty but unfortunately not everyone is careful when they use the facilities. The area of plaster that you mentioned has in fact been replastered on three occasions but due to a damp problem keeps resurfacing.

I do hope that your next visit to the Isle of Wight will be more enjoyable.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Popped in for lunch with husband and one of my daughters. the food was delicious but the service was terrible. Although the waitress looked a little old to be a sulky teenager I did find her approach rude. Our drinks were dumped on the table so was the cutlery, she hardly said a word just plonked stuff at the end of the table and walked off. the other member of staff on the till was very nice it was a shame she was not serving. my husband and I had baguettes which were lovely unfortunately the peas on my daughters plate were very hard. We had almost finished our baguettes by the time my daughters meal arrived. would of been nice to eat together.

3  Thank KMarie718
Reviewed 18 August 2013

On my visit to Cowes,I dropped into a cafe which has a Beatle sTheme.I enjoyed a slice of homemade cake with a cup of coffee, i thought was really nice.The staff are very helpful and well,all that i can say is that i enjoyed the experience,and it is near the sea.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We took our children here for brunch, we had the vegetarian breakfast which was nice (and generous portion-wise, too) and the children ordered a variety of meals from the kids menu. They all enjoyed their food. The waitress was pleasant.

It's a shame that the cafe has halved in size, it was a little sad to see the empty unit nextdoor. I think this has meant that in terms of the atmosphere and appearance it's changed a little since last year, but it was very quiet when we went in so it could just be that particular day. The children still really enjoyed our visit, they are Beatles mad and their only complaint is that they thought the music should be louder. I'm not sure that would suit everyone, however! ;-)

Reviewed 5 August 2013

we had a lovely reception and a great lunch here with the kids, Thank you to Chris the owner who was on hand to give us some tips on where to go and what to see.