“Absolutely horrendous”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
St Neots, United Kingdom
“Absolutely horrendous”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Went in there recently, it looked very pleasant inside and seemed a nice place to have lunch with the family. The waitress said that she will come at the table and take the order. After approx 20 minutes wait we decided to order at the bar. After another 30 minutes the food got on the table. Drinks - nowhere in sight... The waitress realised and said she will be right back with the drinks. While waiting, about 8 people entered the place, sat at a table, and after a very long wait they decided to leave... Rightfully so.
The food was very poor in presentation, but also in taste. Could've been frozen easy!
The staff looked very unhygienic. Also clumsy and very disorganised. The fact that the overall atmosphere in this place is not a very professional one and the staff incapable makes the rest of the experience even worse. Trained and courteous staff please! Is such a pity a place like this that is so attractive from the outside, plus represents great british icons does not live up to expectations. Does not live up at all!

4 Thank carl s

weston-super-mare
“Oh dear!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

Visited for a coffee greeted at counter by a girl who was chatting away to somebody else and we seemed to be in the way. I asked where the 1964 jukebox was to be told it had gone. No music playing a few posters of Beatles about it seems a sad little place with sbsolutely no atmosphere. If you are going to theme a place so strongly please actually do it. It could have been called Joes cafe for all the care that has been taken here. Coffee was actually ok theming was virtually non existent

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank pauld_7
octopusgardencowes, Owner at Octopus Garden Cafe, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear Paul, thank you for your comments. I am sorry if you felt that the waitress ignored you and for that I can only apologise. I do however find your other remarks both ill founded and offensive. I am certain that you would have realised that building work has recently taken place to divide the building into two units (a cost cutting exercise in these difficult times) and therefore the memorabilia that had adorned the walls had been removed until the plasterer had visited. There were still almost 30 posters and photographs on display plus the large cabinet full of badges, dolls and other assorted memorabilia so your 'sad little place' comment is not only hurtful but also bewildering. The jukebox had to go as it constantly broke down and had become impossible to repair. I had, as I am sure you had noticed, replaced it with a wall mounted cd jukebox. We load free credits on it every morning and customers are then able to choose their own music, we do not expect you to pay for the privilege. The cafe has built a very strong and loyal following over the last 14 years. People have visited from all over the world and been amazed at the quantity and variety of memorabilia on display. Perhaps you were expecting something like the Hard Rock Cafe. Sorry if you were disappointed.
Southend-on-Sea
“Underwhelmed by cafe - Appalled by hygiene.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I first visited this café in 2007 and was very happy with it and looked forward to returning this year during my holiday, as my children, partner and I are huge Beatles fans.

However, we were a bit unimpressed with the décor, there didn't seem to be as much memorabilia on the walls as before, the café was half the size and they had gotten rid of the yellow submarine counter which I felt was the impressive centre piece last time I visited. Also, it took around 20 minutes after our arrival for any music to even be played and then it kept stopping and starting.

The food was nice and reasonably priced, however it was a bit cold. We did not complain as we did not want it to just be put into a microwave.

The worst part for us was the hygiene problems. Firstly, I was given a milk jug for my tea which was encrusted with old milk, this was followed by a spoon with dried jam on the handle. The toilet room was VERY dirty as was the toilet bowl.
Outside the toilet, there is a platform with a baby-changing mat, directly next to this was a large section of crumbling plaster on the wall, desperately needing to be filled. This would be in direct reach of a baby whilst being changed.

Overall, NOT the experience we were hoping for when we made a journey to Cowes especially to visit the café.

4 Thank April P
octopusgardencowes, Owner at Octopus Garden Cafe, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear April,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to the cafe and I am very sorry that you were so disappointed. I appreciate your comment that you found the food both nice and reasonably priced and naturally I am horrified that you were handed a dirty spoon and milk jug. For this I apologise; it should not have happened.

I would like to clarify some points that you have raised regarding the decor etc. Firstly it was with immense regret that I had to give up one half of the premises. This was an attempt to reduce costs and the fact that there was less memorabilia than you remembered from 2007 is because I have been forced to sell much of it in order to pay essential bills. Sadly the Yellow Submarine counter was too big for the reduced area and was sacrificed to make way for more tables. The music was intermittent because it is supplied by a jukebox. We usually put around 50 free credits on it in the morning and invite people to choose their own songs which has proved very popular. I am sorry that you were not made aware of this but it merely required someone to push a few buttons.

FInally may I add that the washroom is cleaned every evening and towels replenished during the day if necessary. I am sorry that you found it to be dirty but unfortunately not everyone is careful when they use the facilities. The area of plaster that you mentioned has in fact been replastered on three occasions but due to a damp problem keeps resurfacing.

I do hope that your next visit to the Isle of Wight will be more enjoyable.
Cowes, England, United Kingdom
“lovely food shame about the service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Popped in for lunch with husband and one of my daughters. the food was delicious but the service was terrible. Although the waitress looked a little old to be a sulky teenager I did find her approach rude. Our drinks were dumped on the table so was the cutlery, she hardly said a word just plonked stuff at the end of the table and walked off. the other member of staff on the till was very nice it was a shame she was not serving. my husband and I had baguettes which were lovely unfortunately the peas on my daughters plate were very hard. We had almost finished our baguettes by the time my daughters meal arrived. would of been nice to eat together.

3 Thank KMarie718
Dover, United Kingdom
“Great cafe,loved it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

On my visit to Cowes,I dropped into a cafe which has a Beatle sTheme.I enjoyed a slice of homemade cake with a cup of coffee, i thought was really nice.The staff are very helpful and well,all that i can say is that i enjoyed the experience,and it is near the sea.