“Where Shall I Begin?”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cowes
London
“Where Shall I Begin?”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I acknowledge that I am not properly qualified to express adequately my experience of this gem, this bijou hotel. I must give a context for this review - I am over seventy; I spent over thirty five years as an officer in the British Army; I am not overly fond of 'modern'. I was with about twenty others. As I entered the Villa Rothsay, I stepped into a world furnished with items that would have been familiar to either of my grand-mothers! Victoriana is alive and well! The era of King Edward VII garnishes the ambience. Immediately it was apparent that 'Formica and fluorescent' happily were absent. I wish I could describe the furniture properly, but I simply do not know how, except to say it is comfortable and lovely to look at. My bedroom was just like a room at 'Grannie's house' and furnished identically! There was a TV, but I didn't use it. Not all is ancient: Wi-fi is free, fast and everywhere. Floorboards groan; doors creak - nothing so vulgar as numbers on the bedroom doors, so try to remember where your room is. All rooms have the obligatory bathroom en-suite. The drawing-room has splendid views and is enhanced by small balconies accessed through French windows. There is an 'Honesty Bar' that led me fiercely astray - I did sign properly for everything consumed of course, but helping oneself seems to involve drinking more. (Dear American friends - think Hilton or Inter-Continental and then think the absolute opposite). Comfort of course and every small hotel facility but such superb staff and service as the great hotel chains can only dream of. Food! Be warned the 'Full English Breakfast' emphasises the 'FULL'. After the first morning, I stuck to kippers and scrambled egg and toast! Supper or dinner, are treats that many Michelin starred establishments could not hope to emulate. In keeping with a certain eccentricity that pervades this wonderful place, the owner 'suggests' a menu - I only saw a written menu once in four days. If the items requested are not fresh, they will be denied. I truly believe that if a guest asked in time for 'Swan in Aspic' or 'Fricassee of Fresh Otter', it would be provided. Dear readers, if any there be, please forgive my rambling style. It is not inexpensive and may not suit all. Enter this truly magical place with an open mind and most importantly, with a large smile - it will be reciprocated a hundred times.

Room Tip: Crusty bachelors like me travelling alone: - Room 232. Couples of a certain age: - sea view with ba...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank David D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
KovalamK
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We originally booked a B & B back in December but unfortunately the day before we were due to go over e-mail it transpired that we were not booked in at all so the proprietor booked us into this hotel. It is very clean lovely breakfast and friendly staff. It is dated but that goes with the charm of the hotel. We have a lovely sea view, nice watching boats etc., go by. It is a 5-10 minute walk into Cowes where we found two lovely restaurants. Nice break, nice weather and we done some lovely walks.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KeralaTraveller
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We had a very large room - the bed was very comfortable, flat screen tv bathroom modern. The fittings could do with a lick of paint.
The breakfast was excellent- with fresh fruit and good cooked breakfast.
The owner was very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is rambling and it is rather like going back in time. But the prices are high-- I would say 'small luxury hotel' level but I would say it is a good B&B standard.

Room Tip: try and get a room with a sea view. We had a big room with sofa in it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Ryde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

a festive gathering of friends was greatly enhanced by the atmosphere at and of the Villa Rothsay.The homely touch was everywhere and we were all put at ease and nothing was too much trouble .the Christmas dinner was of excellent and" homely" fare served with every attention to hospitality, Thank you so much.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank yokle
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I found the staff to be very friendly, polite and helpful. Room was clean and well presented. Breakfast selection was good and the cooked breakfast was very tasty.
Will stay at the Villa Rothsay again

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Wonderful hotel with bags of atmosphere. Stayed here several times as hotel of choice for IOW. Christmas dinner is best ever as they know how to do it properly with massive turkey cooked to perfection. Spacious comfortable rooms. Oh and the owner makes you feel right at home even gave me a lift to the ferry. Highly recommended.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TheRovingDiner
isle of wight
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We live on the Island and this was our first visit to Villa Rothsay and certainly will not be our last!!
The hotel is a hidden gem where you can step back in time to another era but with all mod cons
The rooms are traditional in taste and spotless!
The food is excellent and fresh local produce served to you in a gorgeous dining room with magnificent views of the Solent
The owner and staff are superb and we had a great stay thank you
We will be back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank blusneakers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
North House
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
The Fountain Inn
The Fountain Inn
#5 of 5 in Cowes

Been to Villa Rothsay Hotel? Share your experiences!