“DISASTER”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Afton, Virginia
“DISASTER”
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Friendly staff can't make up for grease and tastelessness.

• Visited December 2011

Sonning-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Fish really is 'the big dish' at Corries Cabin restaurant”
Reviewed 8 December 2011

It makes a great deal of sense to have an informal restaurant right next to your fish & chip shop ... a ready made kitchen! This is the case at Corries Cabin at Cowes on the Isle of Wight. (The last time I dined in similar surroundings was at Sydney's Manly Beach ... fish & chip shop one side, informal restaurant the other - a great success and both well patronised).
Meanwhile, back on the IoW, at the end of November '11, my wife and I lunched at Corries Cabin restaurant: we were both chuffed. My (large) cod & chips were up there among the very best. I ranked as A1, the: quality, quantity, crisp, bubbly batter, perfect chips, deep frying medium and skillful cooking. My wife's huss (once with an indifferent image but over more recent times, acknowledged, by those well qualified to pass judgement, as a tasty number). My wife positively agreed, just as she did with the above specifics in relation to my cod & chips.
Bottles of Tomato ketchup and vinegar form part of the table lay-up ... mercifully, none of those nasty little sachets. The server coped admirably, single handedly. She was courteous, competent, with a sense of humour (and very appreciative of the tip). We shared the genuinely home made cole slaw and regretted afterwards not having ordered a bowl apiece. The menu also offered variations on the popular theme of mushy peas and other extras. There is a jolly little wine list with equally jolly (good) prices. Uncharacteristically, we stuck to fizzy water throughout and finished with decent tea and coffee. The next time we are on the Island, we shall 'stear a steady course' for Cowes, timed in such a way as to have another, no doubt super, lunch at Corries Cabin restaurant.

• Visited November 2011