“Rustic Charm”

Well Bread Artisan Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Cowes
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Artisan bakery and cafe/restaurant in the heart of Coews, IOW - fantastic potential, but desperately in need of constructive feedback
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Great place to eat if you like home cooked food, particularly bread and scones. Butter comes in huge slabs on a wooden platter direct from the churn. And the raspberry jam is to die for - they really shouldn't let you help yourself from the massive dish on the table. Lots of cakes and home cooked food including quiches but i couldn't get past the scones. I love the laid back style and the way that you help yourself and advise the staff what you have eaten at the till.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I am a local and have tried to like this place three times as it looks interesting and smells inviting. The invitation stops as soon as you walk through the door. I won't go there again and would not recommend it to others. The main reason would be the distinct lack of customer service. My most recent encounter was last week when I wanted to buy a cheese scone. I was told to get myself a bag and help myself. As I reached for a scone, I was suddenly pounced on by the assistant, who flew from behind the counter to stop me from putting a scone in my bag as she said that the whole rack were a special order. I told her twice that I had already touched the scone with my bare hand before she would allow me to put it in my bag and told me to do it discretely in case any of the other customers saw me do it, just in case they tried to get one of the same! I felt that I had been spoken to so severely that I didn't dare say that I wouldn't bother buying the scone. When I paid, I tried to make light of the situation by saying I had been made to feel like a naughty child and the assistant stared at me 'poker faced'.
It seems to me on this Island , that there are many places where customer service is not high on the agenda, there always being another lot of innocent one time visitors expected the walk through the door each week. However I am not one of those people. I am local and could potentially have been a regular customer. Customer service is high on my agenda. As far as I could report on the three occasions I have been here I would rate customer service very low and prices very high.

12  Thank Celia C
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Me and my husband were visiting Isle of Wight and decided to explore this beautiful island.
We stopped in Cowes wanting to have a small breakfast before going to the Needles.
The bakery was recommended by the shop keeper on the high street. We were presently surprised. The place has it's own charm & the lady working there was very welcoming. Ok so we had better coffees elsewhere but the breakfast was pretty delicious. You have choice of freshly baked cakes/scones/bread and amazing jams. They don't do eggs but do offer a pot of cooked bacon, mushrooms or/and cherry tomatoes (which are perfectly cooked with a slight sweet taste-we asked what it was-but app. it's a secret).
When it comes to coffees and bread it's a self service (unless sitting outside), but that's what's part of the charm. Therefore it's not your typical sit down and make an order with a waitress kind of place but in my opinion worth a visit especially if your are visiting.
P.S.after having a big big breakfast we couldn't resist of taking away with us delicious looking scone and carrot cake.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Me and my hubby were after a cafe for a brekkie today, and stumbled across the well bread bakery. Yes it was a bit confusing at first of the idea of helping ourselves, but once we were sat down and we had hot coffee and hot chocolate (yes from a machine and it would be nice if this was all you could drink too as was a bit pricey) but we had all you could eat toast scrumptious homemade marmalade and fresh honey on fresh baked bread we could toast over and over was a lovely experience. The homemade Bakewell tart and brownies were huge, and delicious. The lady owner has had bad reviews on here but we think she's just passionate about her food and business, and good on her! We are going back to experience a 'crew pot' homemade hot pot of lovelyness with fresh bread yum! and will keep you posted!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Ok - the place looks great and the products look great but the coffee doesn't taste great. We could forgive this minor point if we'd received at least a smile from anyone behind the counter. The service was so sullen and grumpy we won't be coming back any time soon. What a missed opportunity to be a really brilliant place - it looks so good but beauty is only skin deep people. Expensive and Depressing.

9  Thank SandyG56