“Compact hideaway that serves great ales and some good snacks.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cowes Ale House

Cowes Ale House
Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in Cowes
Bedfordshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Compact hideaway that serves great ales and some good snacks.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Been here a couple of times now and always been treated well by pleasant staff. Nice quiet place for a pint (and a slice of pie), nothing much more to say, it does what it says and does it well.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank HonestOpinion170

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Terrible host...nice place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

I had a quick half in the new ale-house just after it opened and was heartened by the excellent service of a more mature lady behind the bar who knew her stuff about the ale choices ( all straight from the barrels) and could advise me on flavours, strengths etc and offered tasters. It was a Sunday and there was a great local singer performing. Shame there wasn't more space to sit as there was sadly nowhere to stand and enjoy, but that aside, I felt the place was very promising and unpretentious.
However, I took a friend there on Wednesday (22 May 2013) early evening, intending to have at least 2 pints each and enjoy the ambience. The dark haired guy about 40, behind the bar barely looked at us and appeared insulted to be asked a question - by a middle aged woman! - about the ales on offer. I asked for a taster of 2 different ales and was begrudgingly shoved a half pint glass across the bar, containing barely a sufficient quantity to taste. No matter, I thought I may get him to suggest an ale based on what I told him I liked...he couldn't have been less interested if I'd been showing him a knitting pattern!!!
Well serves me right for not being a man, as he seemed to be chatting to the male bar flies quite happily, although I never saw him smile once.
Surely only those who love ale -as I do - should work in places like this.....May I respectfully suggest that the proprietor sends him to retrain in customer service, otherwise he'll be souring the ale as well as reducing any profits....I just had half and left after 5 minutes!

Visited May 2013
3 Thank VeryveryChoosy
Southampton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Real Ale Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

This tiny pub is what a pub should be friendly staff and good beer. They had four ales straight from the cask when I was there, only one I had seen before. Traditional snacks are on offer, I had the pork pie which was very tasty. We were in on a Sunday and they were just setting up for live music, unfortunately we had to catch the tide so did not get to hear it.

Visited May 2013