“Fountain Inn, AMAZING”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Cowes
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fountain Inn, AMAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Amazing food, lovely helpful staff and two great entertainers Helena and Grant who made our day fantastic. Best performers we had ever seen, top class, and the food was out of this world. Location was beautiful and the bar was clean and friendly service

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul M
OEIGK, General Manager at The Fountain Inn, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for your excellent review. We are really pleased you had a great stay at The Fountain & we look forward to seeing you soon!

Chris Francis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Putting the hotel aside I just wanted to mention that both myself and my partner found the staff to be exceptional. Polite, attentive, useful and helpful. Cant fault them and if I was their boss I would keep them as long as possible. One of the staff even ran up the road to the carpark to attain information for us and then left in the room for us.

Room Tip: upgrade to superior and there was no lift.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WillLynne

Banstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Right down on the waterfront near the ferry terminal, an old coaching inn with a modern feel, warm cosy bar, good beers, friendly staff and some very good deals for main meals. Facilities very clean , bit noisy with kids running around but hey , you might have kids so you might like that.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We had a couple of burgers there just after Christmas and the staff were very attentive. The only drawback is that they will not cook the burgers rare which leads me to believe that they are not steak burgers. But that being said they were quite tasty.
However they tried their best apparently the head office won't let them cook them any less than medium.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed overnight here with my wife for a 'big' birthday for a friend in one of the Yacht Clubs and really enjoyed it. Place has been given a makeover in the recent past so the bar, restaurant and rooms are all really smart, plus the service was excellent for breakfast and drinks (should note we were not drinking at breakfast!).
Location is also superb as it is on the main high street with (literally) hundreds of pubs and interesting shops; while the Redjet hydrofoil station is about 50 metres away, making it simple to get back into Southampton
Finally it was good value & I booked through booking.com.
Will return if I can.

Room Tip: We had a room at the very top which might be difficult if you are over 6'5" but most people...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adrianhands

Leicester England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed last weekend in a superior room overlooking the harbour
Great value at £ 60.00 per night
Ate both nights at the hotel good value honest pub grub
Staff were excellent and very helpful
There was a Christmas food festival at the back of the hotel with local produce got some nice extras for Christmas
Overall a great stay
Car park about 5 mins walk away not really a problem as you can pay on your mobile

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
OEIGK, General Manager at The Fountain Inn, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased to hear you found your room, food and our team of a high standard.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Cliffe, Medway, Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner booked a superior room for £55 B&B. I was a bit dubious when booking and really didn't expect much but I was blown away when we walked into the room. We had room 1. It was Gorgeous! And massive! The bed was so comfortable and the furnishings were eclectic. I was so pleased. The bad points were the bathroom was a bit naff and needed updating. The hotel is also on a bus route and the high street and the gorgeous large traditional sash windows unfortunately were not great at keeping the noise out... However secondary glazing would have totally ruined the look of the room. For £55 for a night in Room 1 I'm definitely not going to seriously complain about the bathroom and the noise but I am glad we weren't staying on a Saturday night.

We had our evening meal in the pub, the food was nice for a chain pub. My partner had grilled halloumi which he said was a bit bland but I think that's the nature of the beast. I had Stilton stuffed mushrooms with peppercorn sauce which was lovely. I then had a rib eye steak and my partner had a mixed grill which was also tasty and good value. The only thing I will say is that they didn't have two of the fish main courses I wanted and it left me a bit deflated as I didn't really fancy steak but had to make the best of it.

Breakfast was ok for me and good for my partner he had a full English which barely touched the plate. I had eggs Benedict which was ok it wasn't offensive. I only ate half if it because I needed to eat. It was on a toasted bap instead of a muffin which was thick and gloppy, there was too much thick cut ham but the sauce and the eggs were nice.

I'm being really picky in this review for information purposes. My feeling after staying here is that i would definitely come back for a short overnight cheap get away. The staff were lovely helpful and polite. The room was fantastic the bathroom was clean and useable. The food was well cooked and plentiful. What more can you ask for. :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
OEIGK, General Manager at The Fountain Inn, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
BEST WESTERN New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
The Wheatsheaf Hotel

Been to The Fountain Inn? Share your experiences!