“Great Location, Accommodation OK”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cowes
Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Bexley, United Kingdom
“Great Location, Accommodation OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Great views and lovely rural location. We stayed here with family and friends and all booked gold plus or platinum caravans. Caravans were a bit hit and miss our Gold Plus was in a fantastic spot with great views, however was a bit dated, our family had a Platinum which was only slightly better and view not as great. We all had problems with cleanliness, in particular our Gold Plus had lots of cob webs, dirty carpets, stained toilets and hairs in the showers.
If you like organised entertainment, fruit machines and a holiday camp style break then this place is for you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bexley2011
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thanks for the feedback and I apologise if not all the cleanliness was up to our highest standards and we shall look to be rectifying this. It is good that you got to appreciate the great views and our lovely location. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the facilities and that we achieved the holiday camp atmosphere.
I hope that you return in the future.
01983 523 109

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Salford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

we stayed at thorness bay and i think it is our third time we also went with the mail holidays and each time we have stayed in a chalet 121 which with my friend being disabled it is ideal for us all the staff are really friendly and most helpful and the security staff we met on the door of the club were most helpful it is in a great area of the island amid lovely countryside easy for most of the island we used lymington to yarmouth ferry for the first time and it was most relaxing better than having to struggle in and out of southampton please go to the island if you have never been you wont be dissappointed

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for a great review of your returning visits to the park and the island. I am glad that you find the team so friendly and helpful and the chalet meets your expectations.

Please ensure that you call the park, prior to your return, so that we can try to accommodate the special request for the same chalet.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to Thorness Bay and were not disappointed. We were welcomed by very friendly staff, one of whom couldn't do more to help us (young lady with brown ponytail). I commented that we were further away from the facilities than we had been last year, and upon realising we had 2 yr old twins and a husband on crutches she went out of her way to get us moved. We ended up being upgraded from a Bronze to a Gold in a beautiful area of the park with a seaview. The caravan was lovely, surrounded by oak trees and plenty of wildlife. The shop is well stocked and the restaurant serves good sized portions of your normal pub style food. We love Thorness Bay itself, although don't expect a beach for sandcastles and swimming - great for beachcombing and shell collecting. A lovely park, peaceful and picturesque - a pleasant retreat and perfect for exploring the island. We shall hopefully return again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I am so glad that we did not disappoint and that Vanessa was able to accommodate a move for you that was more suitable for your party as we will always endeavour to go the ‘ extra mile’ where possible. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the area that you were relocated too and that you found the accommodation lovely. It is great to get feedback with regard to the standards of our facilities and park and also that you acknowledge that the ‘ bay’ is exactly that but can be just as much fun as a beach. We look forward to your return in the future.
isle of wight
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

After less than 24hrs I could stand no more. Cheap weekend away on a Sun Holiday deal, upgraded to luxury plus which only equates to silver plus. Had curtains of different lengths hanging off the windows. Most of the catches were broken, one closed with gaffer tape! This was luxury plus?....didn't complain as I was told I was in the "posh part"! Oh my life went we hiked all the way down to the so called Entertainment Complex, I can only discribe it as going through the bowels of hell! God help anyone in Bronze. Had a well deserved drink in the bar on arrival, and my husbands face spoke volumes. He took it back as it tasted of chemicals. Understanding (hoped) it was as the pipes had been cleaned, but the next one was the same.....time to leave. After a night of the carbon monoxide alarm going off all night as the battery needed changing, we thought we would go for a swim. You have to walk through the bar yo get to the pool, and what a stark contrast. It's tiny, very old and absolutely filthy. The water was cloudy and had loads of debrie in the bottom. It looked like Sunday bath night in the Walton's household. I went in to the shower before I entered the water, and there was chewing gum, and general filth in it. Grime is an understatement. Now I know I should have complained, but you know what......I shouldn't have to. You have housekeepers, cleaning staff, pool attendants? I did speak to you before leaving, and all anyone wanted was for me to fill in a complaints form. Well I was lucky I only lived a couple of miles down the road. I am now sat in the comfort of my clean, comfortable home, and will never invest my hard earned money in a Park Resorts complex again. You should visit Haven, they could teach you and your staff a thing or two. Oh and PS the lighting of a fag in uniform as a manager is quite frankly revolting, if you are off duty then maybe remove your id badge!

Room Tip: Go to a Haven site. Weymouth bay is awesome.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank pigbod
I agree, you should not have to encounter any issues on the park, however, if there is human error we reserve a right to rectify and to this you gave us no opportunity and it was only that the complex manager spoke to you when you departed that we were aware of any issue. Housekeeping have rectified the issues with regard to the curtains and maintenance have fixed the windows and changed the battery in the alarm. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the taste of the beer although we have only had praise this season for its standard from our owners and holidaymakers alike. The swimming pool was checked immediately and the water clarity and tests were all okay and the chewing gum was mastic in the shower cubicle. We endeavour to give our guests a great experience, as shown by the majority of the reviews, and apologise that it was not right for you and you will not be returning. Unfortunately, when team leave in their own vehicles after a shift, I am unable to stop them smoking as they drive off the park although I will pass your comment on.
Basingstoke
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Hmmm....I'll be honest, I'm still sitting on the fence with this one.
I'll list my pro's and con's:
pro's:
Nice caravans if you upgrade.
The view from the leisure complex is lovely.
It's not to far from the port or the needles.
The staff were lovely.
Con's:
The beach is not particularly a nice bathing beach, more like rock, slime and mud.
The site is very claustrophobic and hilly.
The pool is tiny really for what effectively is supposed to cater for a substantial amount of guests during peak season's, so there would be lots of waiting or not bothering.
There are only 2 kids play areas and one has a crazy golf, I'll be honest they are crazy to think it's a crazy golf it's dilapidated and my kids played one hole and were bored and they love crazy golf.
If you plan on pitching a tent there we noticed one of the sites there used was a hill, don't think if I had a tent and were told to pitch it there I'd be happy!
Parking there is not ideal we had to park some distance away from the caravan at the bottom if a hill and carry our belongings to the top. Considering we had upgraded to gold plus I would have thought that we would at least have dedicated parking.
It's not a bad site just a few things to consider when making choices, there are better resorts on the island but it's not a horrible resort very quiet while we there we noticed. I personally wouldn't go again after being at one I would rather go back to, but everyone is different.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank john a
I would like to thank you for your open and honest review to which I shall hope to answer the points raised. Our caravans are all graded within the lines of the company brochure however there are older caravans which may well be privately owned. The ‘ beach’ is advertised as a ‘ bay’ which is ideal for crabbing and fishing and strolling along with a dog as you have advised. The top area of the park is flat which was newly developed 6 years ago although the bottom and older area of the park is not as flat or spacious and there is nominated parking in the top section and unfortunately the majority of parking is only communal in the main bottom area. The swimming pool does operate a 45 minute swim session when busy however this only happens in the peak weeks and its size suffices the majority of the time. The playparks have both just had extra equipment installed to try to make them as appealing to the children and the mini golf was also added as an extra this season although we are mindful that, especially when visiting the isle of wight, the demand for daytime entertainment is minimal from our guests. We have 3 separate touring areas and the overflow is on a slight slope which guests are advised of. I appreciate your positive feedback with regard to the standard of caravan, the views and the team in place. I apologise that it appears possibly this park is not ideal for yourselves and hope that you continue trying different caravan parks in the country.
Rainham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Ok so we came here on a sun holiday, so immediatly you may say you get what you pay for!!! Got into caravan and checked it over, shower hadnt been cleaned and was covered in hairs (not from the top end) went to office and complained, was told theyd come and clean it. 2nd complaint shower wouldnt clear so we had dirty water to our ankles, 3rd complaint, the whole caravan was dirty, 4th complaint the carbon monoxide alarm kept going off. Concerned - very. The staff were as nice as they could be , the maintenance man gVe up coming to fix problems. We've been on sevdral sun holidays all overthe UK and this was the worse place ever.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue E
I would like to thank you for your review which concerns me as, understanding that you had reported the issues you encountered, we were unable to rectify them whilst you were with us and this is not in keeping with the majority of our feedback that we receive. Obviously when human error occurs we do try to ensure this is rectified and, if unable, we would have moved you. I am surprised that this did not occur and apologise if your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I do hope that you do not judge park resorts too harshly and will continue to book within the company brand.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

On arrival at the Holiday Park we were greeted by friendly staff. We were lucky to be upgraded to a lodge which was comfortable, clean and pure luxury and certainly gave us the WOW factor. In fact it was so lovely we didn't want to leave it each day............Thorness Bay Holiday Park is a great base for discovering the Isle of Wight and the facilities on site were good. We never had time to visit the club in the evening. We ate in the restaurant/bar and enjoyed our meal.
On arrival back home we discovered we left an item in our lodge. We phoned the Reception and the lady was most helpful and returned our call to say the item had been found. We received it in the post a few days later. Brilliant service. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your great review of the park. I am pleased that you found the lodge luxurious and clean on arrival. It is pleasing that you found the park facilities really good and enjoyed the restaurant. It also fills me with pleasure that my team even gave great customer service after you had left in finding and sending the forgotten item and I thank you for highlighting this.
We look forward to seeing you in the future.
01983 523 109
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
BEST WESTERN New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant
Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park
Rookley Country Park
Rookley Country Park
#1 of 2 in Rookley

Been to Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!