“Park resorts - Thorness bay - bronze caravan (sleeps upto 6)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cowes
Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Park resorts - Thorness bay - bronze caravan (sleeps upto 6)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We went through The Sun Holidays. Truthfully.... It is basic accommodation. First look clean and tidy but looked more closely and found carpet hadn't been vacuumed. Probably had a once over with a brush. When we went to use the utensils the frying pan had oil left in it and the cups needed washing so I washed all the utensils I would be using again.

There were 5 of us - 2 adults and three young children and it was very tight in the caravan. There is one double bed in the small bedroom and two single beds in a second tiny bedroom and one double bed which is the pullout from the sofa in the living area. I have to be honest and say they were uncomfortable to sleep in - we could feel the springs in the mattresses.

On the park the swimming pool is small and has limited opening times and the entertainment is average. Staff are friendly but there's not a great deal to do on the park itself.

We used it as a base to see the Isle of Wight which itself is beautiful but eating out is expensive so be prepared. You will have to do quite a bit of research to find good cheap takeaways for fish and chips etc mainly in Newport (10-12 miles away) so plan ahead. There is an Aldi nearby which we used for breakfast and odd bits and bats.

On the plus side I did like the little pack the park put together for us which gives you a useful list of postcodes and phone numbers for places around. It helped us quite a bit.

If I'm to be completely honest about our overall personal experience please don't expect much. Unfortunately we won't be visiting again.

Room Tip: Don't go for bronze if you have a family though I don't know whether silver would be better...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your review, and I’m sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Bronze is our most basic grade of accommodation, however there is no excuse for any cleanliness issues as we expect all grades to be cleaned to the same high standard. I can only assume that you reported your findings to us and these would have then been rectified at the time.

When booking your accommodation the layout would have been outlined to you, and depending on availability maybe a three-bedroom van would have been more suitable for your family’s needs.

Should you wish to allow Park Resorts to redeem ourselves in the future I feel that a Silver Plus would be more suitable, as these are two feet wider than the Bronze and it does make a big difference.

Thank you once again for your review.

01983 523 109

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We got back from Thorness bay on Saturday and we had really nice holiday. We did stay in a signature lodge and I have to say that these are absolutley brilliant! the enclosed, large decking was brilliant for my 22 month old as she loves to be outside. This gave her a little freedom with her pushchair and we knew she was safe :-)
The only downsides we found were that as we had paid for good accomodation but were a little disappointed at how far away from the entertainment centre we were and the shop. Im not a lazy person but it was a 10 minute walk down hill to the entertainment centre and 15 minute hike back up the hill! As mentioned by a previous review, there are alot of signs regarding buying holiday homes, but if you look around on the site you can clearly tell a lot of the caravans are privately owned, which is nice as alot look really nice.
We were disappointed by the entertainment, simply because of the Bingo that happens at 7pm, although im sure there is nothing that can be done about the timing of the bingo with it being a linked game with all uk parks, I do feel that something needs to be done regards entertaining the kids through this time. They are shuffled into a corner at the back of the room next to (and in the way of) the pool tables and given crayons and paper on the floor. My daughter did have some paper and crayons and we took them back to the table which wasnt a problem.
Please also be aware that the 'beach' is not a sandy beach as we thought it was.
On a whole it is a lovely park, and the Isle of wight is gorgeous. If your looking for a relaxing time then this is brilliant, alot of the islands attractions are 14-15 miles away.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your review.

I was pleased that you thought our signature lodges are brilliant. Having the extra space and decking certainly is a luxury, especially when holidaying with small children. We do have a large owner base here at Thorness Bay, and a large percentage of those owners were once holiday makers themselves and wanted their own little piece of the Isle of Wight.

I understand your point about the bingo, but as you pointed out this needs to be done at a generic time throughout all of our parks to enable the link bingo. I will raise your concern about not having much for the children to do whilst the bingo is running and see if we can maybe come up with an alternative activity. We are very grateful for reviews like yours as it helps us to improve where needed.

All in all I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us, and we would love to see you here again in the future.

Fareham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I decided to book a long weekend away for my Mum, daughter and 3 year old granddaughter as a last minute treat. We live on the mainland and decided to book the Isle of Wight as there are so many places to go.
We arrived at 2.30 and were shown to our first caravan which was a bit drab to be honest and a bit further away from entertainment, which is what my granddaughter was looking forward to, than we would have liked.
We drove back to the reception and asked for either an upgrade and maybe something a little closer, we weren't unhappy but in the vain hope there was something we wouldn't mind it. A blonde girl helped us, she wasn't overly friendly and actually tutted at me at one time, but went off to look, she was a bit vague and eventually came out laughing, which I actually said why are you laughing and she half heartedly said 'don't worry' but my family all looked at each other, as it felt like she was laughing at us. She then said we had been moved closer and it was for free. So we were really pleased.
I know this isn't their fault particularly, but there is lots of building work being done around the entertainment complex and so there were work men and vans everywhere and one way systems were changed to two way but had one way written on the ground, so it wasn't clear. I drove round and round and round trying to work out how on earth I could get anywhere as everything was one way, until I realised that the one way was in fact two way! That was a bit tense!
Eventually we found our caravan and we were in Bluebell 94 I think it was and the difference was amazing, it was light and bright and such a lovely caravan I am so glad we asked to change.

Once we were settled in, we had an amazing time, we went most mornings, then went out for the day, coming back in the evening for the 7.30pm show. One of the entertainment team stood out to me, Joe, he was really good with the children. Lilly my granddaughter adored him and he was so good with all the children, he really stood out amongst all of the entertainment team. He sung on our last night and I can only say that he was a very good all rounder. He remembered Lilly's name which means the world to any child, and when she sat with him, he was chatting away to her. Even in those few days he got to know the whole family and even helped out with a bet we had and helped my Mother win a brandy from me and my daughter as she was right!!! lol!!!

All in all it was a great holiday, in a lovely area, with a lovely caravan, with good entertainment. Just what you want for a family holiday!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review on Thorness Bay. Your views are very important to us, as it helps us to see where we are doing well and ultimately improve moving forward.

We are a working business and to enable us to improve our facilities we sometimes have to carry out essential work whilst the park is open. I’m sure if you visit us in the future you will benefit from the air conditioning and heating that is being installed. Saying all of that, I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

As you saw yourself, we are a large park with accommodation spread out in different areas. Some people with small children prefer to be nearer to the facilities, although this is not for everyone and we do get asked by some to be situated in a quieter area away from the amenities. Once again I apologise for not meeting your expectations in the first instance. However I was pleased to hear that the accommodation you finally settled into suited your family’s needs. As for the way you felt you were treated in reception I shall look into this, and act accordingly.

I’m glad that you enjoyed going out and about, and exploring the island during your stay. Our Entertainments team work very hard to appeal to a wide variety of guests. I will pass your kind comments on to Joe and the rest of the team. I am sure that Joe will be as pleased as I am to hear that he helped Lilly to have a fantastic time here.

Thank you once again for your review and we hope to see you and your family here again in the future. Please remember that should you wish to return later this year then you will receive a second holiday discount by quoting your reference number.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Had a great week here helped by the lovely weather we had that. Plenty to do and see. Lovely park. Simon and the other reps were very entertaining put on some good shows. Had some good laughs. Good little shop on site.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I'm glad that you found the park to be lovely and everything helped to make your holiday a memorable one.

We hope to see you again here at Thorness Bay.

Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here for the weekend and it was so lovely. We stayed in the quieter part of the site which was Solent breezes. The caravan was very clean and tidy and warm - we stayed in a silver + type caravan. The surrounding area is stunning and the views if the beach are beautiful.
The entertainment is brilliant the best I've seen from any park. The compare 'Terry' was awesome and very funny indeed he made it so worth while for the adults even while entertaining the young ones.
Meals were nice and all staff were helpful and very friendly.

1 Thank fairsar36
I was very pleased to read your review of Thorness Bay. As you know we have two different areas on park, the original part of the park built around trees and woodlands and a newer addition at the top of the park which is more open space. We feel this enables us to accommodate people's preferences. I'm glad that the Solent Breeze area suited your needs.

Our Entertainments team work very hard to entertain all age groups appropriately, and I will pass all of your comments on to the relevant departments.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was a newspaper deal, we have done a few of these and always been happy but this resort wasn't our favourite.
Whatever you do DO NOT turn up before your check in time, our time was 2.30, we arrived at 2.23 and was told quite seriously to come back in 7 minutes....7 minutes! Really?!
Our caravan looked like it had been given a quick once over rather than a clean, our little boy spilt a drink and when I wiped it up all kinds of muck came up with it.
We asked for the beds in the 2nd bedroom to be removed to fit in a travel cot and they weren't.
Everywhere you look they advertise buying a holiday home, but I mean everywhere! Around the park, on every table, in the toilets, in your caravan, it's too much!
The park is nice, food is ok but we have stayed nicer places and agreed we probably wouldn't return to thorness bay.

1 Thank Lizstout1
Thank you for your review.

We have designated check-in times to enable our housekeeping department to do a realistic changeover. As soon as the units have been cleaned and checked by a supervisor we do try to release the keys in a timely fashion.
I do hope that you contacted reception with regards to the cleanliness and removal of the beds to enable us to rectify this situation.

Buying a holiday home is a large part of our business, as here at Thorness we do have a large owner base. I'm sorry if you felt that the advertising of holiday homes was too much.

I do hope that you would visit us or another Park Resorts site again in the future.

Mansfield uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Had originally booked gold standard caravan .It was fine but around caravan uneven ,this was a problem for my partially sited daughter and young grandson. The staff couldn't be more help full. No sooner had we mentioned than we had been offered what appeared to be good plus/platinum home with beautiful enclosed decking. Brilliant accommodation, fantastic walk down to a pebbly beach. Food in restaurant reasonably priced and good quality. My 3 1/2 year old grandson really enjoyed the entertainment. I would recommend this site

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I was very pleased to read your kind review of Thorness Bay. We always try our best to accommodate our guests as per their needs. Had we known of your additional needs we would have tried to site you in a more appropriate area. However, I'm glad that we were able to move you once the issues were highlighted to us.

We are very fortunate here at Thorness to have direct access to the bay, it's well worth taking a walk to.

It's also great to hear that your grandson enjoyed the entertainment, and you would recommend us to other people.

We hope to see you here again in the future.

01983 523 109
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
BEST WESTERN New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant
Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park
Rookley Country Park
Rookley Country Park
#1 of 2 in Rookley

Been to Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!