“Good value”

Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
“Good value”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We upgraded to gold because the caravan was dated and small. Facilities were ok. Entertainment was good. The Allstars work exceptionally hard. Joe was definatly our favorite :) closly followed by danny. Wish these guys good luck for the future. X

• Stayed July 2014
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I would agree that an upgrade is well worth it if money allows, and we aim to correct any issues quickly and efficiently.

Our Teamstars really do shine and like you said, they work very hard at all times. I will pass your kind comments on to them all.

Thank you once again for your review, and we hope to see you again in the future.

01983 523 109

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The accommodation was the nicest caravan layout we've had, and the cleanest we've ever stayed in, and we have done quite a few caravan holidays. I highly recommend the gold accommodation type. This made up for the fact when I walked in reception to check in, the girl looked at me and walked out to chat in the back room with the other 4 girls.

The first night we walked to the club house for the entertainment, which was ok for the kids, but the adults entertainment was shocking. Over half the audience walked out, the musical duo getting louder and worse with every song, and the odd random screech/bang of feedback, or speakers blowing or something horrible.

Didn't want to chance it for the second night, so stayed in, and as we'd seen the TV didn't work we bought DVD's assuming the DVD player would work. But no, so spent most of the night with the Security guys trying to tune the TV. Before finally admitting it was broken and replacing the TV. All pretty stressful when you have 2 young children, why not just replace it and try and fix the original TV at a later date, especially knowing we had trouble with our last booking at a Park Resort.

So this visit to a Park Resorts Holiday Park was better than the last time but I think it is now time to try a company other than Park Resorts, feeling let down again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I was glad to hear that you were so pleased with your accommodation. Please accept my sincere apologies for the other issues that you encountered during your stay. Unfortunately sometimes things happen beyond our control but this is not an excuse and we always aim to correct any issues as soon as possible.

As for the entertainment, our Teamstars work very hard to accommodate a range of guests throughout the season. We have visiting cabarets, but they are not always to everyone’s taste. It’s a shame that you did not get to see any other entertainment in order for us to redeem ourselves.

I’m glad that we got the television situation sorted for you, and I’m sorry this took a while. I will be looking into this, as it would have been quicker and easier just to replace the TV as you suggested.

Thank you once again for your review, and I hope that you do give Park Resorts a chance to redeem ourselves in the future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked Thorness Bay through the "sun" holidays, and decided to upgrade because sometimes the accommodation in other places has been a bit grubby. We had a 2 bedroom caravan with a large lounge with a TV and DVD player. We had a great night sleep every night because the beds were so comfy. The caravan could have done with a few finishing touches in some areas, like missing vents in the bathroom (which lead to lots of spiders coming through), and a chipped door frame etc, but these are only minor things.

The holiday park is set in a beautiful location, and everywhere was very clean and tidy. The park is set in a very rural location, so we would have been stuck without our car. The beach is a about a ten minute walk away, and is very rocky, but it was lovely walk and had views over to Southampton.

We didn't go to the nighttime entertainment as it was bingo until 8 every night and then the other entertainment was a little too late for my 2 year old. We did eat in the restaurant one evening, and the price wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been, but the food unfortunately was only average. It took about fifty minutes for use to get food, and the food itself was ok but nothing special. We had chicken fajitas and cottage pie, which was nice, but it was warm (not hot) and looked like it had been takeout of the freezer (which is fine, but we couldn't understand why it took so long to come to use). My daughter had a child's fish fingers, smiley faces and peas, which she did eat, but the fish fingers and smiley faces were very greasy as they had obviously been deep fat fryed.

Overall, we had a fantastic holiday at Thorness Bay and on the Isle of Wight and would definitely go back to both.

Room Tip: Defiantly recommend the upgrade.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I was glad to read that you were happy with your accommodation. I assume that you reported the few issues to reception in order for these to be rectified, and I apologise for any inconvenience.

I agree that we are blessed with our fantastic location and amazing views. Due to the island’s transport links I would also suggest that your own transport is a must to enable you to fully explore the beauty of the Isle of Wight.

I have passed on your comments about the restaurant to our complex manager to ensure that this does not happen again.

Thank you once again for your review, and we hope to see you return to us in the future.

Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked a sun holiday so expected budget accommodation. The 'lodge' was tiny and smelled damp all the time. Brown carpets and sofas with curtains and accessories that could have done with a wash and updating throughout. The fridge freezer was switched off so leaked everywhere when switched on. We paid extra for linen but has hospital sheets and very washed out duvet covers!

The park outside was being painted for the first two days so closed - not helpful with a toddler who wants to play there and didn't expect that in July. The pool although clean only has only slide and the lifeguards appeared miserable. My husband and son arrived ten minutes earlier than general swim time when the pool was open for adults only. They would not allow them in the pool despite no one else being in there. There are also lots of dead flies by the changing area next to the pool. The activities are over priced and equipment is shabby.

The beach is a short walk away and pretty but shingle and not sand so again ended up going elsewhere into Ryde which was much better.

Evening entertainment for kids is quite good with plenty to keep them busy and the staff seemed quite friendly here.

Overall I felt the whole park just needs an update but as said you get what you pay for!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Sharlene C
Thank you for your review. I’m sure that had you mentioned your issues with the accommodation to reception, they would have moved you to a more suitable unit. As you are aware, with a promotional newspaper booking linen is an optional extra.

I have noted your comments on the pool, and I have asked our pool manager to look into this so that this does not happen again.

Thank you once again for your review, and I do hope that you will return to Park Resorts in the future.

London
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my family visited thorness bay 27th june weekend, at first pulled up to the site and first impression was clean and tidy lovely views!
We went straight in to reception to check in we were told it was at 4pm which was not a problem we were shown the facilities to use before check in. I took my kids for a swim and a bite to eat we had been travelling a long time needed to stretch our legs so was quite nice. We went back up to check in and was met by 2 very helpfull blondes, I think there names were leah and jade they showed us exactly where our van was and helped us with places to go in the island which was best for kids they couldnt do enough for us as we kept asking questions as we were so exited.
Our van was outstanding for standard grade and in a nice location. We had dinner in the resturant on our first night which was surprisingly good we didnt have dinner again because we wanted to try other places on the isle of wight that we have heard about.
my kids loved the entertainment loved simon! he was fantastic with the kids very polite lad.

We will definitely be coming to thorness bay again dont listen to the bad reviews on here,
we had the best time!!

Thank you Thorness bay!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Georgedavies12
Thank you for your great review of Thorness Bay. I was so pleased to read your review and I will make sure that I pass all of your kind comments on to the relevant departments. All of our staff work very hard to create amazing memories for our guests, and it’s always very nice to hear great feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dorking
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Have been on 'sun' holidays before where the accommodation has been a bit grim so paid extra for upgrade. £32! Definitely worth it. 8 birth caravan, clean, spacious and even the beds were comfortable! We were on the upper area of the site which was well kept and spotlessly clean. If you want a van with decking you have to request this upon booking which they do not inform you of.
The beach isn't up to much, not to spend the day there but nice to walk down to through the caravan park. Lovely views of the Solent from restaurant. A deal for b/fast, 2 for £6.00 seems to be a permanent feature and is great value. The singer was good if you wanted to be entertained but our 13 year old son quickly tired of it so we didn't stay long.
Went in June so nice and quiet. The location is very rural and off the beaten track which we loved but a car is essential.
All in all a fabulous w/e with fantastic weather too. Very relaxing and plenty to see and do on the IOW

Room Tip: Pay extra for an upgrade and request decking upon booking
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dorkingsally
I was very pleased to read your review of our park. The newspaper deals are fantastic value for money and the upgrade prices are also very competitive. We always suggest that if any of our guests do have any special requests that they call direct to park and we always try to accommodate where possible, you will always be told that it is a request and not a guarantee.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Heanor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

just got back this evening from Thorness bay holiday park. we booked through sun holidays and got a 3 bedroom bronze caravan. caravan wasn't huge but clean and tidy and spacious enough for what we needed e.g breakfast and dinner shower and sleep. The holiday park is huge and my 3 children aged 3 6 and 8 loved the play park basket ball courts crazy golf arcades and evening entertainment, my 3 year old daughter fell in love with the entertainment bunnies sparkle and sparkie. The pool was ok although the indoor pool slide is only open after 10.30 am and only runs for 15 minutes out of every hour and the all welcome swim session stopped at 5pm. The beach is around 3 minute walk from the entertainment complex but is a pebble beach although it only took us half an hour to drive to sandown and shaklin beaches on the opposite side of the island. The staff in the holiday park were happy, polite and helpful. The laundrette and the restaurant are expensive but the onsite shop and drinks etc are not too badly priced. Loved the isle of white will be returning but if we go back to Thorness bay will definitely need to take more money and perhaps upgrade to a silver or gold caravan for that little extra room.

Room Tip: gold and gold plus are a lot more roomier for families of 4 or more
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. It’s always great to receive feedback, especially when we have helped families enjoy their holiday.
We have strict safety guidelines to adhere to when it comes to the swimming pool, which affects when and for how long we can open the slide.

We are lucky to be situated with direct access to the bay, however as you realised this is not a sandy beach, it is more of an unspoilt bay full of natural rock pools.

Thank you once again for your review, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

01983 523 109
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
Best Western New Holmwood Hotel
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Melville Hall Hotel
Melville Hall Hotel
#2 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!