“Caravans basic, food leaves a lot to be desired”

Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Clean basic caravan, went to the bar for something to eat after unpacking, terrible food chips black bits all over them they tasted as though the oil had not been changed. The presentation and cavalier attitude if the waiting staff did not help with my opinion of the food. Chef came out and offered free dessert but we did not want to be further disappointed so we declined. Did not use again to eat or drink during our stay.
The location is a bonus with the private beach, but rubbish was piled high next to the bins most days, what ever time you walked to the beach front. Parking close to some of the mobile homes is also an issue, so loading and unloading your bags can be a problem.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for your review, and I am glad that you found your caravan to be clean.
I apologise for the issue in the restaurant, and I have spoken to the catering manager with regard to oil changes for the future.

The bay is a public bay and the council are responsible for the waste, although we also help in this area. The majority of parking is next to the accommodation, although there are also some communal parking areas.

I apologise if Thorness was not for you this time, and hope you find a more suitable park in the future.

01983 523 109

Write a ReviewReviews (1,492)

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I have just come home from a weeks holiday with my partner and son and other family members my partner used to own a caravan on this site and his family years ago but came back as they enjoyed it and for my first time the entertainment was brilliant !the staff are lovely and the prices are great and the food is also lovely. The site is very clean and well looked after our caravan was lovely with a slight view of the sea very clean and spacious we are currently booking again for next year and can not wait !:):)

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for such a great review. This is especially pleasing as your partner used to own here, and hopefully the standards have improved over the years.

It is always wonderful for the team to read the positive reviews and we look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this through Sun holidays and after reading the reviews I was dreading what I would find.

We upgraded to Silver as we didn't want a bronze that had had dogs in it. Our accommodation turned out to be a lodge, from the outside it looked tired small and shabby. Inside it was quite pleasant, TV with freeview, leather sofas, spacious bedrooms and it was reasonably clean. Yes the windows needed a clean and it wasn't up to my usual spotless standard but it wasn't any worse than the basic lodge at centerparcs (for a third of the price!).

Plus points:
-The toddler part of the pool was perfect for our 3 year old & baby.
-The play park was well equipped.
-Staff were all friendly & helpful (especially the laundry ladies)
-children's evening entertainment was good fun.
- lovely views and great bay for exploring

Negatives:
- You definitely need a car as nothing within walking distance
- food in the bar was poor, all tasted of old cooking fat
- signposting on the park is very confusing

Tips:
*Ignore the scruffy farmland on the way in, it's ugly but nothing to do with the park.
*Colemans animal farm is less than a 5 min drive away and is brilliant for getting close to the animals, great play space & cafe too.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your review. We do strive to have higher standards of cleanliness than you received and I apologise for this. I am also sorry that the bar food was not as good as usual, and I have spoken to the catering manager to ensure there is a more regular change of oil.

We are a fairly large park, and we are certainly looking to improve the signage as we move forward. I also appreciate the fact that you realise we have little control of the farmer’s field.

Your positive points are fantastic and it is good to see that we are well equipped for the younger members of the family, and that all of our team had good customer service skills.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Me my girlfriend and 15 month old baby daughter had a long weekend here and was great.Dont normally bother writing reviews but felt it deserved it.Everyone seemed to go out there way for you and nothing seemed to be a problem from the shop staff to bar reception and entertainment staff.Had a great stay here and would definately recommend and hope to go back soon.Well done Thorness bay!

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. It is extremely satisfying to get such a fantastic review from someone who would not normally post on a website. I am so glad that you had such a wonderful experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

spent a 3 day break here and had such a good time we extended another 4 days.All the staff in all departments very friendly - especially Joe from the entertainment staff who went above and beyond with all guests and made everyone feel very welcome and included. We have stayed at many park resort sites and can say that this beats them all hands down. Great place don't be put off by the haters! We will definitely be back

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. It gives me great pleasure reading your review and the accolades that you have given all the team, especially Joe. We strive to ensure that we deliver the best customer service possible at every opportunity. It is also fantastic to be rated so highly against our other parks.

Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just come back from a four day break at Thorness Bay! Must start by saying was impressed by receiving early email inviting us to use the facilities if we arrived before checking in time not many holiday companies offer that! I think it was great value for money. Even though we didn't have young children we had my 85 year old Dad who has some lovely memories of a very enjoyable holiday!! Staff were wonderful checking in was a very positive experience. We did upgrade our accommodation when booking very glad we did it as accommodation was basic but did exactly what it said on the tin! Restaurant exceptionally good value and very happy and caring staff special mention to Sarah! Also a young lady who made hot chocolate for us and went the extra mile!! We played bingo with my Dad and he had never played before two winners in the four days we were there unfortunately not us. Simon very friendly working the floor! Only little downside music too loud turn it down a bit guys when the bingo finished we would have stayed longer if they didn't plunge the club into immediate darkness not allowing the 'older' folk to leave and then the music was so loud you just couldn't stay I am sure it was even too loud for the young children. It was a shame because I think they could have played games like they do during the day with the children and parents ie hokey cokey etc.. Little tweaking would make a massive difference and remember the older members are the ones who spend!!! Thanks for a brilliant holiday and wonderful dedicated staff keep up the good work Thorness Bay!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 557SMF

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your lovely review. It’s great to hear positive feedback from our guests. I have taken your comments on board regarding the entertainment after the bingo, and I will mention what you have said to our Entertainments team.

Thank you once again for your great review and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Sadly, our family holiday with our 3 children was badly affected by a dirty caravan, a scalding shower, and utterly unbothered staff. We reported having to wash all crockery up on arrival, the carpet that turned our children's feet black, and a shower that would have burnt them badly, and the reception staff simply had the carpet cleaned in a very basic fashion. We returned to a wet carpet, a shower that hadn't been touched, and absolutely no apology or information on what had been done whilst we were out. All this for a gold caravan booking. Our other family in a separate caravan had their own issues, and staff refused to apologise, stating that it wasn't something they could comment on. We will return to the fantastic service of Haven and give Park Resorts a very wide berth.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LAG1980

Thank you for your review. I’m so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and that you felt that the service you received was not very good. This is not how we want to come across. I shall be talking to all departments regarding your review.

I have looked into the problems that you reported, and I can see that housekeeping went and rewashed the carpet. Being a light colour this does unfortunately get dirty very easily. The shower was also looked at and we could find no fault with it, I can only wonder if a tap was being run at the same time as this can affect the temperature of the shower occasionally. The next guest did not report any such issue.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

01983 523 109

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
Old Park Hotel
Rookley Country Park
#2 of 2 in Rookley
The Orchards Holiday Caravan and Camping Park
Cheverton Copse Holiday Park

Been to Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!