“Don't go there”

Albert Cottage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Cowes
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My wife and I pre-booked in Albert cottage - however when we arrived the room we booked was unavailable??? The staff could not sort it out and their service was terrible - we stated somewhere else instead - on looking around we are glad we stayed elsewhere - unorganised mess and shameful service

• Stayed: June 2011
10  Thank 17,422,789

Reviewed 1 August 2011

The hotel is in a good location, minutes away from the red funnel ferry terminal and a 10 minute walk ( plus chain ferry) in to the centre of Cowes. I was really impressed when we drove up to the hotel, it looks lovely. We had a twin room ( all they had available when i booked) which was nicely decorated in a victorian style and a large bathroom, with an amazing power shower!! Two things let this hotel down. One was the staff, polite but not in the least bit friendly or interested in their guests, maybe they were just stressed as they had a wedding party in. Then the breakfast was very meagre and there wasnt much on offer on the buffet ( lots of poached fruit ) plus we were only offered I small cup of coffee, no refil and no one in sight to ask. For me a hotel stay isnt just about a lovely comfortable room its also about the atmosphere and welcome we receive especailly when paying £135 a night. so unless these issues are addressed I wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RFB33
Reviewed 6 June 2011

my daughter had her wedding at albert cottage in april. it was so perfect and the staff were exceptional as was the manager who helped me endlessly with his experience and patience. the 10 bedrooms were so beautiful and spacious. we had an evening meal for 45 people which could not be faulted. the 10 rooms were taken by family members other guests who could not get a room at albert cottage stayed in nearby bed and breakfasts within walking distance from the hotel, living in oxford should have made it difficult but i wasnt we only travelled out twice while organising my daughters big day and within the two visits and a couple of phone call the big day was ready and waiting. when looking on Albert Cottage website the photos of the venue looked amazing and we hoped it was like them in real life and it certanily didnt disappoint. i would highly recommend Albert Cottage.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank joanne186361
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I was married at the hotel last year and the rooms are truly beautiful. The ones I saw were all spacious, with luxurious bathrooms and a gorgeous touch of Victorian character. The gardens were lovely, with a well kept lawn and the ceremony rooms was very romantic. The service and bar staff were also very good.

Service was somewhat lacking however. My Mother booked a room for me and my bridesmaid to stay in the night before the wedding some months in advance. when I called 2 days before the wedding to confirm numbers however, I was advised that no booking was on record and there were no vacancies. I was left with no where to stay the night before my wedding!!

The planning process was somewhat stressful, as it was difficult to get a cal back from the manager and I waited for 3 or 4 days to hear back on urgent matters. Staff do not seem to communicate much. We had some disputes over money and there was a definite feeling that we were being squeezed for all we were worth and when we discussed this with the matter we were initially met with a degree of hostility though changes were eventually made.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for a wedding as it is simply beautiful, though suggest you keep a close eye on the bill as they may overcharge for things you did not ask for.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kristiloves
Reviewed 6 October 2010

This was a last minute booking for the night before a sponsored bike ride (in aid of the Mission to Seafarers) round the Isle of Wight. The hotel was just fabulous. They allowed us to put our bikes safely in a covered courtyard, and accommodated us in comfy, spacious rooms with immaculate bathroom facilities and an excellent breakfast to set us off the following morning on our bike ride. Nothing was too much trouble and I can highly recommend this as a base for families to explore the island.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Fabcat01
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Stayed with small family group of adults when we were visiting Osborne House.My room was equisite and had a bathroom you only dream about.........
The staff were friendly and efficient and the breakfast was plentiful and delicious.It was served in a small comfortable room with bags of character. On the 1st night we had booked dinner but felt it was overpriced and lacked pzazz!.It was served in a large dining room, which because there was only 8 of us in that night total eating in, lacked atmosphere . One word of warning you are only allowed 2 courses for your DBB price and then charged £6 for your pudding so if you want value go elsewhere eg The Folly Inn like us and get more for your money and a happy friendly less formal atmosphere with a good choice of food.
The rooms do not provide paper tissues or bottled drinking water ( perhaps a cost -cutting exercise that does not befit such grand rooms) so do bring your own.
We would visit the hotel again and indeed hope to do so soon but this time for B/B only.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2010

This little hotel is wonderful. Well over a year ago, we booked our daughter's wedding at this venue. We needed exclusive use of a facility for the bank holiday weekend and Albert Cottage provided it. At the time, the hotel had just transferred to new ownership.

Last weekend the Wedding took place and it has to be said, the new owners have turned this from a good hotel into an outstanding one. Our guests travelled considerable distances to get to the Island and were really delighted with their rooms.
All of the arrangements were handled with great expertise and everything that the hotel promised, they delivered 110%.

The catering for the Wedding Breakfast was outstanding and and a hot evening buffet for guests was of exactly the same quality and could not be faulted. The hotel has won an award for the standard of breakfast catering and it is thoroughly deserved. No trays of tired sausages here and served by friendly, unobtrusive staff who really did surpass themselves last weekend.

The building was once the home of Queen Victoria's daughter, Princess Beatrice. The interior is beautiful and the outside and the grounds are a delight.. Our party of nearly 80 people had nothing but praise and compliments for every aspect of the hotel. The only downside to it all, was leaving!

It is so rare to find such high standards in a hotel. I have no hesitation in rating this as an excellent venue and its hard to imagine that anyone could be disappointed with a short break or longer holiday in this lovely venue.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank RosieIOW
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
North House
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
The Fountain Inn
The Fountain Inn
#5 of 5 in Cowes

Been to Albert Cottage Hotel? Share your experiences!