“Some lovely features, but lets itself down..”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Watch House Barn

Watch House Barn
Watch House Barn
Ranked #24 of 29 Cowes B&B and Inns
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Some lovely features, but lets itself down..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Another coffee-shop only review...

Ok, the positives. First and foremost the delightful and quirky model railway going round the edge of the room at ceiling level - worth the trip in its own right. Second, one member of staff who is always friendly, welcoming an efficient. Third, freshly-made bakery products, the bread in particular is always top notch. Lovely untampered with doorways, harking back to the pre-war era.

However, what could be a fantastic place is let down by the following: Odd fillings in sandwiches, e.g. salad cream with prawns instead of something fishy like Marie Rose, and thick lashings of margarine. Freshly-made cakes, but swathed in sellophane makes them sweaty, and again icing tastes of margarine. Third - when the one excellent member of staff is occupied elsewhere, service is lukewarm at best, and on a bad day awful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in a room with 6 beds and a bathroom next door. The location was very convenient as we were attending the Little Britain Challenge cup sailing event for the construction industry.
The room was large but the beds very uncomfortable. There were 2 mattresses on my bed and the springs were poking through.
I think the rooms must be cleaned once a week clearly on a Monday as we were there Friday and Saturday. The bin was almost full when we arrived and overflowing when we left. The floor had bits all over it. The tv didn't worl it said "no signal"
There was one mug for tea and coffees. No milks provided just one powdered creamer.
The worst aspect was that we had 2 baths one after another. The first was fine but the hot water ran out for the second.
Breakfast was typical cafe style very large portions if you wanted but really cheap sausages. Nice black pudding plus eggs ( very deep fried) mushrooms 1/2 tomato hash brown and bacon plus juice and tea/ coffee
I would use it again but at £30 a head I was expecting a cleaner room, hot water and a comfier bed.

• Stayed September 2012
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is a review of the coffee shop only, as we have never stayed here. However, we visit the Isle of Wight at least once a year, and each time we always come to cowes, and then visit this place without fail. It`s a really nice old fashioned and bustling cafe. They always have a large selection of freshly made cakes too, and we always have a nice big slice. My wife and I usually share a slice, as the portion is very generous. A nice Cuppa too. I have also eaten here before too, one of their set menus, and this was of a good standard. We weill definitley be visiting again later in the year. Only slight downside is that it can often be very full as it`s only a small place, but there is extra seating upstairs if you ask. Best coffee shop in Cowes, I promise you!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Kendal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

I am purely reviewing a meal we had, we did not stop here.

Having landed on Cowes we needed to occupy ourselves before we were shown to our yacht so we decided to have a few relaxed drinks in the habour then venture out for a bite to eat.

As we had luggage in tow we didn't want to be walking round for ages and after a short walk up the main street it was the chalk board that caught our eye with the fab selection of food and the great price. As it was a late lunch meal to put us on to late evening we both opted for Fish & Chips. We both enjoyed this very much and not a scrap was left. I also could not resist the temptation of the amazing cakes on display and choose a slice of Capuccino. I was happy to pay £2.50 for a slice but it was more like a wedge and it beat me despite my best efforts.

It was chance for us to relax, put our bags down out of everyone's way and enjoy our first meal at Cowes. We got a window seat and could see right down the main street so watched the world go by before we joined in!

Total bill was less than £20, we both had soft drinks but place was licensed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LouiseFMB
Cowes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2009

We stayed one night at Watch House Barn and paid £60 for the room including breakfast. I think the inmates at Parkhurst probably have more comfortable beds. You might as well be sleeping on bare springs. There are no towels provided. The bathroom (NOT en suite) is basic with a capital B, wobbly loo seat and very, very dated. The accommodation is clean enough but is more school dormitory (4 singles in room) than B&B, a crew flop house if ever I saw one and not that cheap. Cheap curtains which do not keep the glare of all night outside lights out and cheap thin pillows etc. Perfect for young crews after a night on the beer but not recommended for more discerning older guests.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ladysailor
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

I was interested to see the previous report on this accommodation and feel I have to put forward a report which completely disagrees with what the previous so-called occupant has said (was she blind!). The accommodation was clean, tidy and the staff etc very welcoming and polite. Nothing was too much trouble! Barry and his staff are to be congratulated on providing an excellent service whilst keeping it nice and "homely" for anyone who does choose to stay. I for one would recommend this establishment to any discerning traveller. I myself shall be returning with family and friends next year definitely so "keep up the good work Barry and Co.!" You feel like you're staying with friends rather than in some private accomodation - which is an all too rare thing in this day and age!

Stayed August 2008
Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2007

I spent this weekend sailing in Cowes and so wanted somewhere to stay that was close to both the yacht haven and the Island Sailing Club.

The Watch house barn b&b and coffee shop seemed to fit the bill. Two nights cost me £70. The accommodation was reached via a shabby side door next to the coffee shop. My room was at the top of two flights of stairs, with the bathroom opposite. The room was clean, although the mattress had seen better days. Again, the bathroom was perfectly acceptable. However I had to show the proprietor (Tracey) how to turn her electrics on for the hot water (!), the bin had not been emptied for my arrival (even though I was the only one in for that night) and the fridge contained some milk which the proprietor decided to throw out.

The following day I ate breakfast in the coffee shop. Whilst there I queried the fact that I had no number to ring in case of problems. (No one was there after 5pm.) The proprietor (Barry) seemed surprised that his number was no longer on the board. It made me wonder when the last time he actually visited his own accomodation was!

I returned from sailing at about 5pm to find that my room had not been cleaned, bin emptied etc and that the bathroom had most definitely not been seen to (my makeup stains were there from the night before)

How on earth they could charge £35 for the night, I do not know. I decided not to stay the second night.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled solo