“lovely evening - great food.”
Review of The Hut

The Hut
Ranked #3 of 21 Restaurants in Freshwater
Price range: US$10 - US$33
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Bar
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Hut, Colwell Bay. Launched in May 2013, The Hut is a quintessentially English 'beach hut' style restaurant that combines an unrivalled passion for high quality, seasonal food with a desire to create a relaxed but stylish environment for all to enjoy.  Combining culinary classics with innovative ideas, The Hut will offer a more exciting approach to beach side dining on the Isle of Wight. Using locally sourced produce wherever possible, The Hut will strive to offer the freshest seasonal food on the island at reasonable prices. Open throughout the day during the summer season, The Hut will offer a variety of settings to satisfy all - from casual mid morning coffee through to ambient, candle lit dinners on the deck in the evening.
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“lovely evening - great food.”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We recently visited the Hut on a Tues evening with our two young children. We were glad that we had booked as they were clearly busy. The menu was great and the chilled-out atmosphere, lovely. The staff were attentive and polite. We ate the Fruits de Mer, which I would definitely recommend as it was delicious. A great place to watch the sunset. Only niggle was that smoking was permitted in the terrace dining area, which was not ideal for non-smokers dining with their children seated two tables away from a chain smoking man for the latter part of our evening (otherwise I would have given a 5-star rating).

Lymington, United Kingdom
“Pleasant location - avoid the food - but this is a restaurant?”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I'm not a regular reviewer but just had to put on record our worst meal of the year (decade?). Ate (?) there 30 July. Location is good but there are many places in this area with equal or better views etc. Service was OKish but giving a girl an order pad doesn't make her a waitress. And then there's the food. You want ribs? Well put some bones on a plate and yes I suppose you've technically got them. Put some brown paste in a pot and you could call it chicken liver parfait. And then there was the fruits de mer. First of all it wasn't available then curiously it was, presumably after rummaging around at the bottom of the fridge? But you can't just put some dodgy seafood in a tray of iced water and expect to charge over 50 quid for it. And I know it was dodgy because look at the time I'm writing this and ask why I've been up all night. True we did not pay for much of the food (but only after lengthy complaint to an increasingly irritated manager) but the evening was lost and there are too many excellent eateries in this country now to waste time on ones which are unable to deliver a quality experience. Avoid

Visited July 2014
13 Thank FamilySmith15
United Kingdom
“Stunning location, great decor but overpriced & not exceptional service”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

After being told by many friends that this was the place to go, we thought we would try The Hut one Tuesday summers evening. Our first impressions were good, we were sat outside and the walls had been placed down so it felt like you are really eating on the beach! I loved the seaside decor and it seemed busy which was a good sign.

However I was disappointed with the menu which was just a sheet of paper and not very many options both for drinks & food. We all ordered seafood (as it is known that the chefs cook the seafood well there) and of course it was delicious but very overpriced for what you get as the portion sizes seemed quite small. I had the lobster which was just served in a pasta dish with a tiny side salad - for 30 something pounds I would have expected it to be served on a platter with side salad/warm veg & crusty bread for instance. Our waitress was really lovely and cannot complain about the service she gave us but for the price you are paying I think the hospitality service in general is slightly too 'relaxed' (I understand it's all beach themed and supposed to be a relaxed atmosphere etc) but no one poured the wine when it was brought to the table, we had to ask for a jug of water & there was no tea light on the table. The outside chairs and tables were packed very close together ( I can understand why with it being busy) & were very wobbly - not really ideal for restaurant use! At the end of the meal their card machine wasn't working either, apparently this had happened before too, but eventually it was sorted.

We did have a lovely meal at The Hut and if you are looking for somewhere a little bit different with very well cooked seafood then The Hut is for you. We would like to give our compliments to the chefs as the seafood did taste delicious. It is just a shame there were a few problems during the meal & we felt the service was a little bit too relaxed for the amount our bill came too. The managers seemed a little rushed of their feet to stop & talk and the poor waitresses seemed to be very busy too!

4 Thank Travel2728
London, United Kingdom
“Very good food, wonderful view”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Went to the hut on 23 July. All 16 of us thought the food was spectaular. The waitress Sophie was very helpful and nothing was to much trouble. The weather was lovely and we were outside. The view and atmosphere there is fab. They have thought of everything. They even lent us hats and gave us suncream. We will be back as soon as we can.

1 Thank 75darkes
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Awful service & food ”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Wow what can I say....amazing location, decor quaint but service and food were horrendous. Never have I been to a place where more than one meal was diabolical.
This was meant to be a lovely relaxing evening with friends & turned into a meal from hell! There were a number of problems with the meal from start to finish & these were raised with the manager -what shocked me the most was his attitude, instead of being apologetic as you would expect he was anything but and proceeded to be argumentative & rude. As the table was leaving I also noticed that 2 other tables were also complaining so not just us. Would I go back there - certainly not. There are so many other restaurants on the iow which have impeccable food and service that I would rather visit these.

11 Thank Laura S