“Chilled out piece of paradise”
Review of The Hut

The Hut
Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Freshwater
Price range: US$11 - US$34
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Bar
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Hut, Colwell Bay. Launched in May 2013, The Hut is a quintessentially English 'beach hut' style restaurant that combines an unrivalled passion for high quality, seasonal food with a desire to create a relaxed but stylish environment for all to enjoy.  Combining culinary classics with innovative ideas, The Hut will offer a more exciting approach to beach side dining on the Isle of Wight. Using locally sourced produce wherever possible, The Hut will strive to offer the freshest seasonal food on the island at reasonable prices. Open throughout the day during the summer season, The Hut will offer a variety of settings to satisfy all - from casual mid morning coffee through to ambient, candle lit dinners on the deck in the evening.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I thought twice about sharing this gem!!
Great views in the front of the bay. Very popular bar and restaurant
Had a fantastic meal on e Saturday evening.
Amazing seafood and fish. Staff are fantastic , very friendly and helpful, regardless of whether you are chilling with a beer or havering a meal. Lots of extras, lovely drinking deck with cushions and extra sun lotion free of charge that is left on the tables.
This is a very popular place so booking in advance is advised.

There are newer reviews for The Hut

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This restaurant serves excellent food. The gazpacho was the best I've ever had followed by a tasty salad so that I could pretend I'd had a healthy meal (if we ignore the delicious chocolate ice-cream). The staff are very friendly and they went out of their way to ensure that baby and 6 yr old were well looked after. It's not often that you get all this whilst overlooking the sea on a hot summer evening in England.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Went here with friends. I understand its recently been taken over. The sea food especially is lovely. I had fresh Plaice £12.50 came with cup of chips. The lobster looked amazing £30 - there was seabass and bream on specials menu. There is also burgers and steaks. My Plaice was very juicy and large. You can order a side salad or other side dishes. we booked a table as it got very full. My friends son had prawns on a skewer with mussels all the food looks amazing. The view is wonderful to right by the sea with a marvellous sunset. We walked down but you can park nearby. Tables are wooden with wooden chairs. There is an inside and outside seating area. Nice puddings to. What a find cant wait to go back. Its is licensed.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I went to stay with my sister and brother-in-law who live at Freshwater Bay. She wanted to take me to The Hut for lunch. I had visited before but it was called Barefoot (with poor reviews). We did not book a table and upon arrival the waitress said the restaurant was fully booked but we were welcome to sit on the decked area and have a drink but to be aware there was a "strict policy" that no food is served here. It was a beautiful day so we decided to have a gin & tonic and head off somewhere else to eat. An American party of 5 arrived and sat on the decked/drinks only area. Not before long food arrived at their table. Of course we quiered this with the same waitress who adhered that there IS a "strict" no food on the decking policy, however, she said, they may be friends of the owner. So not so strict then? And we were still not allowed to order food! We then left after our second drinks whereon a large party of approximately 10/12 people had sat behind us, yes, on the decking - and low and behold, they were all looking at menus placing food orders. My sister was annoyed and embarassed and has said she will not return - and it is the residents custom these places need throughout the year, not just the rich Americans and large parties in the summer season !!

9  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We so nearly didnt come (having had a look at a few reviews)and are SO glad we did! Leisurely drinks on the drinks terrace extended well beyond our booking time however we weren't rushed and went to our table in our own time. The staff were young, helpful, very smiley and polite throughout and were a pleasure to have serving us. The plaice was delicious, beautifully cooked and well presented as was the rest of the food served at our table. Great attention has been paid to detail in this restaurant from the fresh flowers on the tables to the little enamel cups for the chips. I would highly recommend The Hut and will definitely return.