“Wonderful position.”
Review of Albion Hotel

Albion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Freshwater
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My friends and I stayed 1 night here and are so glad we did. The situation is incredible - fell asleep to the sound of the sea. The room was very very comfortable, large and spotless and the bathroom was the same. The staff were great. I guess you wouldn't stay here for the food but all the positives out weigh that.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view - unbeatable
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alfie N

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Although decor is dated, the hotel is clean and comfortable, with large spacious room and bathrooms, with the luxury of a bath and separate shower. The welcome we received along with the service from every member of staff was outstanding. All the staff, without exception, put the customer experience top of their priority list and our stay was superb.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Fifi381
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Only stayed one night so can only comment on what we found in a short time. Hotel clean and well decorated. Our room was large with a very spacious bathroom. The shower was powerful and easy to use ( so often you have to fiddle for ages to get the right temperature). The bed squeaked and the pillows were soft but for one night it was ok. If we had stayed longer I am sure we could have asked for more pillows as the staff were all very cheerful that we encountered. Breakfast was ok perfectly adequate. Free parking with a hotel voucher. Pleasant views of the beach and the sea. Great for walking up Tennyson Down and out to the Needles.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lizzySurrey
Reviewed 19 June 2012

It was good to have the ferry booked by the hotel. We were thrilled when we saw where the hotel was situated and it would have been wonderful had we had wonderful weather! But unfortunatley we had the week when June became November! When I booked over the phone I was assured that a dairy free diet could be catered for but not only was a dairy free diet not catered for no diet was catered for! Poor presentation colourless, tasteless. The meat and fish were really over cooked. Broccoli was served in huge branches covering the plate. A dairy free diet meant 'no sauce' so one evening we saved some of our soup and asked for it to be reheated and poured over the meal, which they did! The dairy free dessert was always fresh fruit,fortunately a good portion and variety. The regular desserts were absolutely awful. One evening a royal swan on vanilla mousse was offered.It came,a solid over-cooked swan shaped biscuitthing on a dollop of solid chocolated flavouring yuck arrived with a splodge of fresh cream! Obviously the real cook was not around that week because there was no way that who-ever provided the meals knew how to cook. I am annoyed with my-self for not complaing on the nights but we did let them know when we were leaving, there was no apology just a face of surprise,also surprise that the 'chef' had not met us on our arrival to discuss the dairy free diet.We brought in fish and chips on our fourth and last night. I would like to hear from anyone else who stayed here the first week in June.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cinta60
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Monday 21st May 2pm
Contacted Albion Hotel Freshwater for a 2 day break, spoke to Sam who advised that this was possible, quoted £179 pn inclusive of ferry from Southampton, advised Sam that I had to take my wife to the Cancer centre at Brighton on the Tuesday morning and would prefer to book own ferry from Portsmouth, due to the appointment time factor.
Sam made further enquiries and was able to offer a discount to £168 pn told Sam I would confirm the ferry booking which I did with Wightlink at cost of £73 before returning to Sam a few minute later to advise that I had a 3pm booking and would be arrive at the Albion at about 4.30pm.
I enquired with Sam further regarding payment and he advised that everything was ok and that payment would be sorted out on our arrival at 4.30 the next afternoon.

We decided on an early night however at around 22.20 we where woken by a telephone call from Jill to advise that the room had been double booked, the other party had paid and that since we had not given credit card details our booking was cancelled.

It would seem that the other party had booked from Wednesday and we where offered the room for the one vacant night (Tuesday) and advised to contact the Sandringham Hotel to see if they could put us up for the other night, however we advised Jill that this was unacceptable and that a cancellation meant that we would lose £73 on the ferry booking we considered this to be the Hotels responsibility, on this point Jill became non committal and the call ended with us asking her to advise the Hotel owner to contact us first thing next morning.

All that we could do on Tuesday morning was make our way to Brighton, this proved very difficult since we felt as if we had been to an all-night party, on our return there was a message from Vickie advising that a note was left for her to contact us, I advised her that it was the Hotel owner that I wished to speak to and was advised that the owner was not available on enquiring for contact details I was further advised that most people communicated by e-mail, here was another member of staff who was non committal.

However she did advise that Mrs Moorman was the owner of the company and further that Kelly Moorman (who answers on (Trip advisor) was not a director of the company, dealings with the staff and management are very slippery.

Well Mrs Moorman you have left me £73 out of pocket through no fault of my own, this is the only way that I have been able to contact you, when are you going to accept your responsibilities ?.
Allan Harrild

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Allan H
albioniow, Owner at Albion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Thank you for your online post following your recent accommodation enquiry and I am sorry you felt it necessary to contact us via Tripadvisor, which I feel is a most odd way of going about things.

Vicky has worked for my family for 30 years now and is delegated to deal with most, if not all, matters on our behalf in our absence – I am sorry you decided she was incapable and “too low in the chain” to speak with you, albeit she tried hard but had to ask you not to be so rude.

My family work long hours – we are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - and we are not always available for contact by telephone.

On the Monday you made your accommodation enquiry, we were exceptionally busy – the sun was shining and people were calling to secure a last minute booking and take advantage of the beautiful weather forecasted for the week ahead.

You too called us that day in the hope of a last minute deal and were advised that we only had one room left available, this due to a last minute cancellation.

You advised Sam that you had already made your own travel arrangements and required a price without ferry, which he quoted you.

You stated several times that you would prefer to pay on arrival, however our terms require full payment to secure a booking, especially when there is only one room left!

After some time on the phone to you, and considerable ‘to-ing’ and ‘fro-ing’ between you and your wife, Sam left your enquiry with Gill as he was checking in a large group of guests.

You opted not to pay, knowing that it was our last room.

You chose not to pay and secure the accommodation.

You decided you would take a chance on the room still being available on your arrival to the Island.

Later on in the day, we sold that room and the customer paid in full.

Gill thought it best to call and notify you that the room had sold and we were now fully booked, so that you could seek accommodation elsewhere. In fact, she had intended to make some alternative suggestions for you however when she reached you she was met with a barrage of profanities and insults, which resulted in her leaving the telephone call in tears.

This quite frankly is unacceptable – no matter what your personal circumstances are or might be, and no matter how disappointed you may have been, this does not give you the right to bully, insult and, or aggrieve others and we fully support our team of staff in that issue.

I really am sorry we were unable to accommodate you; we were fully booked!

We have a super hotel, and I perfectly understand your disappointment; our payment policy however is clear with full payment being required before a booking is made.

My apologies once again for your disappointment.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We went to The Albion for Easter, over the years the view and position have more than made up for the odd hiccup but not I am afraid this time. After unpacking we decided to go down to the bar for a drink, only to find we were locked in the room, the phone did not work and when I rang from my mobile no-one answered, so I climbed over on to next doors balcony and knocked on their door. they kindly unlocked our door from the outside. At reception we were given the option of either changing rooms or waiting until the maintanance came to repair it (Thanks to Kelly he did come quite quickly). I was given a phone and told to fix that myself which meant taking the unit off the wall and repairing it. Dinner on the 1st night was luke warm and we were through in 20 mins it was this sort of speed every night. At the bar one afternoon on asking for a guinness I was given the can and a glass and told to do it myself as the barman did not know how too. On the 5th night of being there the headboard fell off the wall whilst we were a sleep on informing reception we were told that it could not be fixed that day as maintanance were busy but I was offered a hammer, I asked whist I was there if we could have clean towels as they had not been changed since our arrival, we were told that we could have clean bedding as well, however housekeeping then said they were not sure if it was our turn or not..
Up to this point we were talking about going back for 2 weeks in the summer but after a conversation with one of the owners, when we said the service needed to improve to match the cost we were told if we did not like it we could leave and they would refund the days we did not stay for, But when we left there was a small bar bill to settle which they insisted we paid before they would refund any money even though the bar bill was considerably less than they were refunding, Such a wonderful 20th wedding anniversary - Not - very very sad about the whole experience

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Benyemin
albioniow, Owner at Albion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

Here at the Albion we much appreciate our customers – both old and new – and we work tirelessly to ensure customer satisfaction.

Located in Freshwater Bay, a premier sea side location, our hotel is clean, tidy and exceptionally well appointed. Our service is good and we offer great value for money.

This said, it is rare, if not unheard of for us to wish for a customer to leave the hotel before their due departure date but when asked by yourselves if we would prefer it if you left, we said yes!

My staff do not expect to be spoken to in a rude and aggressive manner and we would be foolish in this day and age to allow our very loyal and hard working staff to be bullied in such a manner.

Repeat custom and “being in the business” does not give one the right to decide what price they can pay to stay at ours, nor any other hotel.

One cannot and should not expect to be able to stay in the very best room and not pay a premium for that room.

A threat of a negative trip advisor review (now received and to which I respond) does not effect the price we will be charging for the bedroom you enquired about for two weeks in July.

Our price is our price and threatening behaviour will not encourage us to reduce our already reasonable tariff, neither for yourselves nor any other prospective customer who might be inclined to use Tripadvisor as a bargaining tool.

To summarise, our tariff is lean, represents excellent value for money and includes accommodation, evening meal, breakfast, car ferry, free use of leisure facilities and VAT.
We have a range of bedrooms to suit all needs, and they are spacious and well appointed.

We are located in a spectacular seaside location and the majority of our rooms offer stunning panoramic sea views.

We would like to thank you for your many years of custom and wish you all the best in your future endeavours. The Albion is clearly no longer the place for you and perhaps a change is now the best thing.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Our trip last month to The Albion was perfect. I hadn't been to the hotel for 30 years and it has changed in such a good way. The rooms were very nicely decorated, comfortable with views to stay in my memories forever. The food was also good and the general atmosphere was quiet and tranquil, perfect. The staff were all very friendly and made us feel so welcome and relaxed, nothing was too much trouble. We will without a doubt return to The Albion and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: The junior suite was perfect with large balcony and views
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ted B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freshwater
Sandringham Hotel
#2 of 2 in Yarmouth
The Wight
The Wight
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Albion Hotel? Share your experiences!