“Good old England pubmeals”
Review of Red Lion

Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Freshwater
Price range: US$7 - US$56
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A traditional country pub with flag stone floors and log fire, serving locally sourced food . The pub has its own garden which produces fresh vegetables and herbs all year round. Four real ales are available as well as an extensive wine list.
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Red Lion has a special place in our hearts as the first pub we visited on IOW.
Food is good, ambience is authentic and personel is excellent. Love to come here every time were on the IOW.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Warm and friendly pub, good food, in fact best pub curry I've ever had and hubby's steak was actually rare! Prompt and smiley service. It gradually got very full and busy and the staff weren't fazed at all and nothing was too much trouble

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Absolutely amazing meal, and fun experience as well. My husband and I (Canadians) have been travelling for almost four weeks, including a two week cruise from Miami, Florida to Harwich, England, and driving around England after that. We can both say that our meal last night at The Red Lion, Freshwater, was the best meal we've had since leaving home. We both ordered entrees (chicken and salmon) that came with platters of fresh vegetables and scalloped potatoes, and the food was hot, perfectly cooked, and delicious. We barely finished it all, but we couldn't bear to leave even a morsel behind, it was so fantastic. The staff were friendly, helpful, and interested in making sure we had a wonderful meal, which we did. There had been a death in The Red Lion family very recently, but this was not reflected in either the service or the quality of the meal. The pub was bright, cheerful, and clean, and I loved knowing that drink had been served on this exact spot for over 1000 years! We have returned here to this pub for three wedding anniversaries now, and I am confident we will continue to do so in the future. The Red Lion is a real gem here in Freshwater, and may it remain so for many years to come!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The Red Lion is a great British pub. The staff are pleasant and helpful. The ambience inside is welcoming and the garden is delightful. They have reasonable wines, good beers including Doombar from Rock) and first rate pub food delivered quickly and at very reasonable prices. It is a great place to stop off for a lunch in summer and I bet it is warm and welcoming in winter.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were invited here for lunch by friends the other day and unfortunately arrived before them.
We were treated as one is in a Paris shop, in other words ignored! I asked if the table in the corner was reserved for my friend, and I was told that they would tell me when they had time!
The food was not at all good - my wife's crispy duck wallowing in honey!!
The young man who served us had filthy hands with black nails as though he had just dug up the potatoes.

2  Thank PARADISEMadeira