“Great”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ryde
Stafford
“Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Great hotel, great view across the bay, great helpful staff in one word great. This is one of the best hotels I stay in, the only downside is that is was empty. I should visit again in summer next time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank timbers1234

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My stay was twofold; a job interview elsewhere on the island and a spa for my wife while I was away getting interviewed.
The Spa gets really busy so I suggest you book whatever treatments you need well in advance to avoid disappointment (I think it's frequented by the local Islanders so there's always individuals getting treatment, not just the hotel guests).
My wife said the spa was good and worth it (I paid, so I guess she's correct on that point).
We stayed in a lakeside view double room which has a lovely view across the lake and sweeping hillside across.
You have French doors that open onto a patio although this is shared with the x4 other lakeside view rooms, so don't go walking around your room in the buff with the curtains open as it's not that private as your adjoining neighbours can walk past and sit outside your room if they really wanted to (not guilty, just giving a heads up).
Other garden view hotels we've stayed in have had such areas fenced off outside the rooms to avoid any privacy issues (even just a little to stop any direct walking by) although we appreciate it's not always possible to provide such screening to the room.
Room was modern and contemporary and very clean.
Yes the air con / heater fan is a bit noisy but we switched ours off at night.
We prefer fresh air but as we had French doors there was no smaller secure window to leave open during the night.
Staying in a room on an upper floor would remove these niggles but I think all the lakeside view rooms are ground floor only (I could be wrong...).
Walls aren't as thick as they should be for what is a relaxing and quiet hotel. So the odd toilet flush or tv can be heard if your drifting off to sleep.
Sound proofing also let in the odd emergency services siren and road noise from cars up and down the main road, despite the road being far away enough where if better wall and window sounding was part of the hotel build you'd have total serenity.
Breakfast has a typical hot and cold selection, although for the price there should be a Chef present to prepare any additional or special requirements.
Overall service - above average, sorry but we do like to be made to feel a bit special when staying in 4 to 5 star hotels but everyone was pleasant and made good eye contact when engaging with us.
But I am splitting hairs on my review!

In summary:
Good room, clean modern, fair size, good view and everything in good order with Tea, coffee and complimentary water, bathroom smellies etc.
Help yourself style breakfast so you decide how much you want, you don't go hungry.
Plenty of parking.
Pleasant hotel and cleaning staff.
Relaxing settings.
Did we enjoy our stay? Yes.
Would I stay here again? You bet.
Would my wife use the spa again? Of course.
Did I enjoy seeing the wild Kite fly around outside our room early morning? Very cool.

Hope this helps.

4 Thank Andrew J
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We have just returned from a weekend break at Lakeside with secret escapes. The hotel was spotless and the arrangements for the ferry and included spa treatments were done exceptionally efficiently. We paid a little extra for a lakeside view, which we felt was definitely worth it. The room was a good size , with all the facilities you would expect. The staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Liam Phelan in the restaurant. I had read a couple of reviews before we went and although generally excellent had heard a few negatives about the food. I have to say that we found the food to be excellent. I had the set meal, which for £19.95 for three courses was exceptionally good value for money. My husband went for the a la carte which was lovely too. Portions were good sized and beautifully presented. The pool was a little smaller than I expected, but was lovely and warm, and the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were all great. Breakfast was of the buffet type had a good range to choose from. The food was hot and was kept well stocked and best of all didn't finish until 10 so we could have a lie in. All in all a very relaxing, value for money break. Thanks so much.

Hertford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We had a great couple of days. Spa was very relaxing. We had a meal in the restaurant, good size portions and attentive staff. Breakfast had plenty of variety. We booked our break with secret escapes and was superb value.

1 Thank rbj7777
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

I had a really nice weekend here with my partner, we had a room with a lovely view. The brasserie was excellent, the waiters very pleasant and all staff very helpful. The only downside to this weekend was that one time we went down to the spa, there were noisy children and this contradicted the relaxing environment that is supposed to be portrayed. There was also half a bottle of vodka on top of the wardrobe!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Have been to the Lakeside many times before for Spa days, but have never had the pleasure of an over night stay.

Had a wonderful surprise from my partner, who booked us a night here for Valentines. Staff on arrival were very friendly, however, reception isn't very well sign posted for people who have not been before.

The bedroom was lovely. Really nicely decorated and spotlessly clean! Lovely comfy bed, however VERY small. I'm not sure on the size but it wasn't as big as my double at home. Really nice bathroom, with nice products to use. Can't really fault the room, was clean and comfy!

Was very surprised there were no robes though, also no mini bar or tea and coffee making facilities. Reception staff were very helpful, we asked for an iron and ironing board and they delivered it straight to the room.

Went down for dinner at 8.30pm, taken to the table by our very friendly waiter who bought over a complimentary glass of champagne each. We then had an absolutely delicious 4 course meal. Our waiter was quite knowledgeable on all the courses when we questioned him.

The only thing I have to say, is in our starters (the duck terrine) I had a hair, and my partner had quite a large piece of plastic in his! We complained to the waiter who explained the duck was wrapped and cut still in the cling film, and they'd obviously missed a bit when removing it at the end. He was very apologetic, but offered no discount/drink etc. The food however all tasted wonderful and was SO well presented!!!

Breakfast in the morning was lovely. We sat by the window and had a fantastic view of the lake. We didn't have chance to use the facilities unfortunately as we had to get home. But I have used them many times before and they are always clean and well looked after. My only comment is, each time I've had a massage there (4/5 times), the therapist has NOT stopped talking. I've had a different one each time, and as hard as I try not to converse back, they are obviously bubbly, chatty people.... but to me a massage should be enjoyed in peace!! This is only my personal choice though, a lot of people don't mind talking throughout. But if you do want some silence, I suggest mentioning it before hand.

Wonderful stay in a fab hotel though!! Staff were all lovely, and I would definitely go again :)

1 Thank Emma C
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband I spent a weekend here in Feb 2014 away from the kids & we weren't disappointed. The highlights for us were the full English breakfast, sauna & steam, Spa treatments, peaceful lake view, accommodating staff. Would definitely return maybe with the kids as they have family rooms & good grounds for them to run around outside.

• Stayed February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
The Royal Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#6 of 54 in Shanklin
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
BEST WESTERN New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!