“Really very good”

Add it.
Dos Amigos
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: http://www.isleofwighttouristguide.com/view-listing/dos-amigos/1725/
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

Mexican food you just can't beat it !
This really is a good restaurant serving good food with a good atmosphere and good service
And it's very busy which just makes the whole night feel like you have been out nothing worse sitting in an empty restaurant
We can't wait to go back

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Staff overworked - only two waiters there doing everything, bar - waiting, popping in and out fo the kitchen - not that's an excuse for what happened later. I went to this restaurant with my mother an hour before we had something else planned. We waited 20 minutes - still no sign of my cocktail (a pre-dinner driink) but the two waiters looked stressed and very, very busy, doing everything. So, we didn't say anything until it was about 30 minutes when we politely reminded our waiter of our order (2 meals and a cocktail) which he appeared to have forgotten but he denied that he had. We also told him of the time we had to be out and he assured us that we would be. He started to make my drink but we told him not to bother. He disregarded what we said and started to make it when I told him that I didn't want it anymore and he stopped. We saw him go to and fro towards the kitchen, obviously in panic. Meanwhile, two full tables (one of which came after us) got their food while we sat and waited. Then it was 45 mins - still no sign of our food and we realised that by this time that even if we got it immediately, we would have to rush and not be able to enjoy it as we planned. And it was quite expensive. We reminded him again politely and he reassured us that we would have it in time but we saw him come out of the kitchen twice with food for other people and we'd had enough. We believed that we had given him enough warning and polite reminders so we decided to leave.
About 15 minutes later, the waiter found us and started shouting that we were crimminals, embrassing us, accusing us of not paying for the food. We calmly reminded him that we never received anything so we didn't have to pay. He then tried to exhort £20 from us in return for not phoning the police. We shrugged our shoulders and called his bluff. He obviously didn't want to phone the police (later we found out why) and had thought that he could intimidate us into giving him the money. We ignored him and started walking away. He constantly harassed us and tried to lead us down the wrong road (even though we were only on holiday, fortunately I knew that he was lying and continued going up the hill to the bus stop. Then the police drove up and told us that we had done nothing wrong and that he had been in trouble with them before for bad behaviour.
He scarpered off without his money and without even apologising to us. I wish I'd looked at his name badge before but the police know who he is. He constantly lied to us and said that customers should expect to wait up to an hour for food which is a lie (max it's 40 mins and then they should let you know that it was going to be late and ask you if you are ok with this. Besides, the cocktail should have come long before the dinner) He tried to lead us down a wrong road nearer to the restaurant (this is very sinister - what was he going to do with two women once he got them there)? I dread to think what he might have done to a woman on her own or a foreign tourist who maybe doesn't speak English that well? He tried to take advantage of our lack of local knowledge to lure us down the wrong road.
Looking at other reviews of this restaurant - take note of the picture of one person's meal - I think that it used to have a good reputation at one time but now is in the hands of a dodgy owner who doesn't care about service or food quality. Or about employee working conditions. Just make as much money as possible.
Beware of this restaurant and the people who work there!

8  Thank jewell33
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I went here for a girls night, we sat and chatted over sharing nachos before ordering our mains. Food was amazing. If I'd say too much for me I was stuffed. The music was loud and set a great atmosphere. The staff were friendly and acomidating. Really enjoyed this and would love to go back....

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I had wanted to try Dos Amigos for a while, but had been put off by the apparent lack of other customers in there, which is usually the first thing I judge a restaurant by.

I finally went in recently, and was really pleased with the food we had. We started off with a sharing platter - all tasty, especially the cheese and jalapeno bullets, but the empanadas had way too much pastry for the amount of filling; followed by enchiladas and burritos - also good. The mains were supposed to be served with spicy chips or rice, but both came with plain chips. Not a big deal, but I would have preferred the staff to explain/check. Given the time it had taken to get served, we did not query this. The portions seemed generous, and the starter platter for two would have actually been enough for a meal in itself between us!

The staff all seem to be very helpful and willing, and the chef is doing a great job. I am not sure why there is such a delay in food being served; we have had two visits recently once on a really busy night so some delay could be excused, but we also visited on a quiet afternoon and it was still very slow. Disappointing!

We will certainly go back for the food, but will just make sure that we aren't in any kind of hurry when we do!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I went to Dos Amigos with my family. There were 11 of us. Some of the party ordered starters. Having said that both the time to take the order for the starters and main course and the time before the starters arrived was I feel excessive. When my main course did arrive Chicken and Prawn Jambalaya I was surprised how small the portion was. It was a small cereal bowl with chicken, prawn and rice, with two thin slices of garlic bread and a little salad. Certainly not enough for an adult. Having said that the food was tasty. I would not go to this place again, very over priced for what you get. I told the manager as I left who just seemed indifferent to my comments.

2  Thank Paul H