“Poor service and average quality for the price.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Hong Kong Express
Ranked #45 of 83 Restaurants in Ryde
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: This rather nice take-away or sit-in Chinese retaurant is on the front at Ryde, opposite the pier.
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor service and average quality for the price.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I recently phoned an order through and was told there would be a 40 min wait. I arrived after 30 mins to find the place empty apart from 2 people at a table so I guessed there'd been a rush on the phone orders. My food was given to me immediately so I don't know why I was told 40 mins or how long my food had been sat there. It wasn't until I'd got home that I realised that 1 dish had been forgotten and the duck with pancakes had no hoi sin sauce and only spring onion, no cucumber.
I live some distance away and returning was out of the question so I called and explained the problem. First I was told they'd deliver it, then I'd receive a credit note for my next visit. I said I wanted a partial refund and after some discussion about consumer rights I was told I'd get a refund. When I checked my account a day or so later I'd only been refunded on the missing dish!
They also used to do free prawn crackers but I didn't get any despite a family sized order.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MettyMatty

Ryde, United Kingdom
“good cheap chinese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

good cheap Chinese food and they also deliver will always order a Chinese from here, food is tasty and included is rice in your orders, no hidden extra for rice

Visited December 2013
“Do not ask for delivery”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Ordered good to be delivered, came within 45 mins (which bearing in mind it was Christmas Eve wasn't too bad). Half the order was missing, after 2 phone calls most of it then arrived. A further phonecall and then most if the remaining order arrived. After a fourth phonecall to enquire where the missing dish was, I was offered a credit against future orders (which to be frank is unlikely!). Despite not delivering the full order we did not receive any refund. However, the food which did arrive was very tasty!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Great food plus we could hear oursleves think!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Everywhere we tried seemed so busy and/or loud music and we are friends who don't meet that often and wanted to catch up. Came upon this gem by chance. Plenty of room and music volume low so we could chat easily. Veggies seem well catered for and the cheaper selection for 2 was really delicious. The food turned up quickly, well presented and piping hot. The staff were friendly and seemed to work well together. Good value for money too.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Isleworth,United Kingdom
“Delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Simple yet very tasty chinese food in Ryde. The menu has everything you'd expect and then some. Eat in or take out and they deliver! Friendly and helpful staff.

Visited September 2013