The Fishbourne Inn
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe pubferry terminalpielovely decorfish and chipsquick lunchcrabspecials boardisle of wightporkoutside seatingan overnight stayshort breaksunday roastbar areacar parkingevening meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Looking at their website, I thought this would be just the place to catch up with friends, for a nice meal and a chat. What we found was a live band, now I like live music, but when it is very loud and the bar staff can’t hear your comments or order then they should have realised it was too loud. We booked over the phone there was no mention of the band. We sat at the far end of the restaurant and you could not hear yourself think let a lone hold a conversation, we did ask for it to be turned down and they said yes it was a little loud and would turn it down after the first break, but I think they turn the switch the wrong way, it just got louder.

Also the food was soooooooooo salty, I had Garlic bread to start now I know your thinking you cant go wrong with that, normally I would have said the same but for some reason the chef had added half the salt pot to it , it was sea salt the large crystallise type so I tried to scrape it off. I did complain and show the waitress and she said she would pass my comments on to the chef, I should not have done this as our main courses (four in total) were full of salt not just mine. The food was just awful. Yes we did complain again, but the waitress did not want to know. We paid and left and went to another pub for dessert.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank kastoneIsleofWight
Reviewed 15 September 2013

As my title indicates live music and evening meals do not mix. This was our first trip to The Fishbourne and we were looking forward to catching up with old friends over a nice dinner. There was nothing to prepare us for the cocophony of noise emitting from the two 6footx4foot speakers set up within the reletatively small lounge area and although we were seated in the dining area the Fishbourne is "open plan". The noise was so loud that we couldn't talk normally to our friends opposite us and ended up mouthing short words and waving our arms about. I had to yell at the top of my voice to place our orders and for drinks and when we paid our bills. We actually left after our mains because we couldn't tolerate staying for dessert and coffees due to the noise and the potential rubbish desserts we would be served - and moved onto another pub/restuarant.
Don't get me wrong, I love live music, and the two guys were quite good, but it has it's place - at one of our many fesitvals, out in an open field, or as a "gig" in a drinking only pub. NOT in a restuarant where people are primarily going to eat and talk! When I complained that live music had not been advertised on the website or mentioned when I phoned to book, I was told that it had been advertised widely on the local radio. All well and good if you have the luxury of being able to listen to the radio all day but unfortunately I work full time in a professional environment.
Now lets turn our attention to the food! Menu, large but catering for fish lovers not carnivores, so not wonderfully inspiring - badly balanced. I was charged £7.00 for a bowl of mushroom soup - obviously truffle oil is very, very expensive. My partners antipasta had no olives and no bread, just a few slices of cured meats and a dressed lettuce leaf. My friend complained that her garlic bread was far too salty and when we looked you could see excessive granules of rock salt all over it which she tried to scrape off. The mains - 2 of our party had the beef in ale pie and again the meat mixture was virtually inedible because of the salt content. We can only assume the vibrations from the excessively loud music had made the salt pot topple into the stewing meat! Another friend ordered a steak medium - he got rare. This is basic cooking done badly!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandy2471
Reviewed 15 September 2013

A regular visitor to the Island, the Fishbourne Inn's proximity to the ferry has always made it a regular visiting spot for us. However the pub has changed hands since our last visit ... and what a difference its made. We were there early (6.30 ish) on a Saturday night and the place was already packed. We managed to get a table (just - I'd advise you to book) and despite it being busy we didn't have to wait long at all for our meals. My dish of Seabass fillets cooked with a lime and tomato salsa on a bed of summer vegetables was absolutely divine. Although I'm not a pudding person I was tempted by the lime and mint creme brulee which proved perfect. The rest of my party had duck, tagliatelli and steak and everyone raved about the quality and taste of their meals. Top end pub grub prices but you get what you pay for. Will definitely be booking a table next time we visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I am a Island resident and have had a bad experience under the previous owners .Im pleased to say that my second visit was more succesful. The food was out of this world the smoked chicken garlic mushroom and truffle was supberb one of the best meals I have had for ages. Give it a try. I never stayed on one of the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Had an exellent dinner few moths ago. Came many times for a drink. I am a chef myself ( not at Fishbourne:) ) On a previous review, did that person realise that he paid only few quids for a drinks or he desided that he was getting free breakfast?

Room Tip: Room 503 sea view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple