“Pleasant but still work in progress”
Review of The Fishbourne Inn

The Fishbourne Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Ryde B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We were recommended to stay here and although it was pleasant I was left feeling that for the price paid, there were other alternatives and perhaps we might not make it our first choice to return to on another visit to the island.
The location is lovely (a two minute walk to the sea) as is the charming exterior appearance and downstairs decor.
The double room my friend stayed in and charged £90pn for - should only be sold as a single. It's particularly small as is the shower room. However, my twin room was vastly superior in all ways with a large bath and strong pressure shower. Good towels - nice white bedding, toiletries, coffee/tea/biscuit. Full length mirror. In my room, plentiful power sockets for re-charging and a lamp on the desk too. Unusually Tiny TV's. Free WiFi. Comfortable bed - I slept well.
It was very clean. It had new management a couple of years ago and was refurbished apparently but why leave open pipework? Box it in - not expensive to do. And the glass tumblers in the bathroom - do appreciate supplying them but wet hands and heavy glass with a porcelain sink - unwise. Suggest quality disposable cups. The noise in the very early hours of the morning of the refuse truck bottle collection right by the window didn't go down well. Or the staff chucking stuff into the bins - the noise travels right to the rooms which are not double glazed. Hazard of staying in an old building though.
Neither did the plumbing water noises. Neither did the lack of choice at breakfast. No croissants or danishes. No fruit - stewed or fresh either. None of the locally baked Artisan breads boasted of on the menu - just bog standard toast. In fact the Chef didn't turn up for work till 8:45am on a Saturday morning - so it was a choice of cereal - or a yogurt or sliced toast with foil wrapped butter. For their prices I feel they need to up the game on breakfast. Though having said that they obviously meet a demand locally because by 10am there were plenty of people coming into the inn for coffee and breakfast.
The staff are lovely and hard workers. And it's in a brilliant location for the Portsmouth ferry - two minutes from it.
Final constructive message I hope - suggest cutting back the oak tree branches overhanging the car parking. The acorns drop heavily onto roofs as do branches. Umbrellas over tables outside.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 504 - nice but noisy. 501 nice but small.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed at the Fishbourne on Sunday 29/09/2013. From the onset the staff were friendly and helpful. We are frequent visitors to the island and have stayed in a variety of accommodation. The Fisbourne has to be one of our favourites,. The room was excellent and immaculately clean. the breakfast was superb and everything a hungry traveller could want.
The inn is right next to the ferry port and has lots of nice walks close by including a pathway to the old Abbey.
We would definitely recommend the Fshbourne and will booking another room on our return to the Isle of Wight
Charles and Liz

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013

They refurbished it in 2011 and it is a very comfortable pub / restaurant. They have fish and chips for "big boys" and fish and chips for people who don't want a "blow-out". This smaller menu option is a really good idea for people with smaller appetites. It saves on waste and provides very good value for money. This option is available on a number of popular dishes and should be commended. The Doom Bar is wonderful and so is the coffee. The service is good and the staff very friendly and happy to join in on our fun. In a week we went there three times.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nickmBedford
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Looking at their website, I thought this would be just the place to catch up with friends, for a nice meal and a chat. What we found was a live band, now I like live music, but when it is very loud and the bar staff can’t hear your comments or order then they should have realised it was too loud. We booked over the phone there was no mention of the band. We sat at the far end of the restaurant and you could not hear yourself think let a lone hold a conversation, we did ask for it to be turned down and they said yes it was a little loud and would turn it down after the first break, but I think they turn the switch the wrong way, it just got louder.

Also the food was soooooooooo salty, I had Garlic bread to start now I know your thinking you cant go wrong with that, normally I would have said the same but for some reason the chef had added half the salt pot to it , it was sea salt the large crystallise type so I tried to scrape it off. I did complain and show the waitress and she said she would pass my comments on to the chef, I should not have done this as our main courses (four in total) were full of salt not just mine. The food was just awful. Yes we did complain again, but the waitress did not want to know. We paid and left and went to another pub for dessert.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank kastoneIsleofWight
Reviewed 15 September 2013

As my title indicates live music and evening meals do not mix. This was our first trip to The Fishbourne and we were looking forward to catching up with old friends over a nice dinner. There was nothing to prepare us for the cocophony of noise emitting from the two 6footx4foot speakers set up within the reletatively small lounge area and although we were seated in the dining area the Fishbourne is "open plan". The noise was so loud that we couldn't talk normally to our friends opposite us and ended up mouthing short words and waving our arms about. I had to yell at the top of my voice to place our orders and for drinks and when we paid our bills. We actually left after our mains because we couldn't tolerate staying for dessert and coffees due to the noise and the potential rubbish desserts we would be served - and moved onto another pub/restuarant.
Don't get me wrong, I love live music, and the two guys were quite good, but it has it's place - at one of our many fesitvals, out in an open field, or as a "gig" in a drinking only pub. NOT in a restuarant where people are primarily going to eat and talk! When I complained that live music had not been advertised on the website or mentioned when I phoned to book, I was told that it had been advertised widely on the local radio. All well and good if you have the luxury of being able to listen to the radio all day but unfortunately I work full time in a professional environment.
Now lets turn our attention to the food! Menu, large but catering for fish lovers not carnivores, so not wonderfully inspiring - badly balanced. I was charged £7.00 for a bowl of mushroom soup - obviously truffle oil is very, very expensive. My partners antipasta had no olives and no bread, just a few slices of cured meats and a dressed lettuce leaf. My friend complained that her garlic bread was far too salty and when we looked you could see excessive granules of rock salt all over it which she tried to scrape off. The mains - 2 of our party had the beef in ale pie and again the meat mixture was virtually inedible because of the salt content. We can only assume the vibrations from the excessively loud music had made the salt pot topple into the stewing meat! Another friend ordered a steak medium - he got rare. This is basic cooking done badly!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandy2471
Reviewed 15 September 2013

A regular visitor to the Island, the Fishbourne Inn's proximity to the ferry has always made it a regular visiting spot for us. However the pub has changed hands since our last visit ... and what a difference its made. We were there early (6.30 ish) on a Saturday night and the place was already packed. We managed to get a table (just - I'd advise you to book) and despite it being busy we didn't have to wait long at all for our meals. My dish of Seabass fillets cooked with a lime and tomato salsa on a bed of summer vegetables was absolutely divine. Although I'm not a pudding person I was tempted by the lime and mint creme brulee which proved perfect. The rest of my party had duck, tagliatelli and steak and everyone raved about the quality and taste of their meals. Top end pub grub prices but you get what you pay for. Will definitely be booking a table next time we visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I am a Island resident and have had a bad experience under the previous owners .Im pleased to say that my second visit was more succesful. The food was out of this world the smoked chicken garlic mushroom and truffle was supberb one of the best meals I have had for ages. Give it a try. I never stayed on one of the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
1 mi away
#4 of 9 in Bembridge
Kasbah
Kasbah
#4 of 17 in Ryde

Been to The Fishbourne Inn? Share your experiences!