“happy anniversary”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ryde
Isle of Wight
“happy anniversary”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I book to take my wife out to dinner at the ryde castle we were asked wear we like to sit we order a drink and the young lady came to take our order . my wifes prawn cocktail come with no cutlery I asked the man who i think was a manager for a spoon he said if you want and gave me asoup spoon, the prawns were ice cold so my wife did not eat much of the prawn cocktail , my wife ordered a sirlon steak medium to well , I ordered a rib eye steak rare the main meals arrived the chips had black from the steak grill on them my wifes steak was over cooked my steak had to be tornnot cut and it was full of sinew the mushroom was full of grease the tomato looked like it had die ,when a young man came to clear the dishes he asked was every thing ok I said no not realy he ask o why looking at half eaten meals i try to say and he disappeared I paid the bill and left .We weill not be returning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank drabblesiow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
portsmouth
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

The Ryde castle eventually re opened in December after a fire gutted it some 2 years previously. What a transformation. The new bar is a delight with friendly, efficient staff & excellent food. Dog friendly and they even provide rugs if you fancy sitting Al fresco. A welcome addition to the Ryde hotel scene which has been in need of a top class budget hotel for some time. Head & shoulders above the competition in Union Street

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from a three night stay at this hotel. The staff were all really lovely and very happy. Great breakfast which came included in room price. Lovely, very comfortable room. Only thing I would change is the rather creepy cow painting which I am certain was looking at me whilst I slept. ;-)

I would happily come back again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

All I can say is it was ok and did the job. The hotel is situated in a good location and looks very nice, but I wasn't overly impressed by the service in the bar area or the choice on the breakfast menu.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AT67
Ryde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We held our MDs leaving do at the hotel on Friday 3rd Jan. The venue, completely refurbished, creates a relaxed atmosphere. The catering was superb, buffet for 40+ people, ample food and a great range plus excellent presentation. All the staff at the hotel were very helpful and friendly. Would recommend for business functions, and for the special occasion!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Joeley M
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Spent two nights at the Ryde Castle while visiting friends on the Island. We upgraded to a room with a sea view and were not disappointed. The room was very large and comfortable with sumptuous furnishings - probably the biggest double bed I'd ever seen. The ensuite was huge with a p-shaped bath and shower with lots of hot water. Just a little disappointed that other than two half empty (or half full) bottles of shower gel and hand lotion there were no other toiletries. Luckily I had taken my own. The double aspect sash windows were not double glazed but outside noise was minimal as was out of season. The room temperature was fine but difficult to control the radiator. All was spotlessly clean. The staff were attentive and responsive at all times. The breakfast was lovely too and we ate in the bar/restaurant a couple of times and the food was great value and whilst not 'a la carte' was more than satisfactory. To sum it up then, great value for money, great service and great customer service.. Hopefully they will not raise their prices too much once they have re-established their customer base since re-opening. Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I am not normally one to complain on a network site, usually I use tripadvisor to write a good review when it is rightly deserved. We visited Ryde Castle restaurant today for my sisters birthday, there was 11 of us in total.
The starters (about half of us opted for) were ok, so we thought we were on to a winner. When we arrived there was initially 2 tables full, ours and another; both celebrating birthdays. Very quickly the remaining tables filled.
We ordered our drinks and the waitress at the time was quite polite, but I would say from the point she disappeared (I can only assume her shift finished as we didn't see her much after that) we were having to wave our arms frantically to get someone's attention. At one point I left the restaurant and walked into the bar to ask the manager why there were three tables in the restaurant totalling 23 people with not one waitress/waiter in sight! My poor sister had to also complain for the other failings, being; the mini grill was frazzled to the point where my son kept chewing and chewing and in the end had to spit it out! My husbands mixed grill was 'find the meat, it's somewhere in there hidden between the fat'. My mother ordered a child's roast dinner, my sister ordered a normal roast dinner and yet my mother had more vegetables on hers. My other sisters vegetables were dry (as if they'd been under a hot lamp for too long), the waitress took these back and replaced them with some new ones, which were raw! My friends lasagne was crispy on the edges, not from over cooking in an oven, but more nuked too much in the microwave. The service wasn't great, the food was brought out and then we had to ask for cutlery as they left us thinking we could obviously eat with our fingers. As I said, we had to wave our hands frantically to get their attention for drink top ups. At no point did anyone come up to us and ask if our meal was ok, nor did anyone ask if we needed anything. As already mentioned, my sister complained to the manager whose response was "what you don't know is that we've been ridiculously busy in the bar area". I'm sorry, but these people just walked in for a drink, we booked and quite honestly it isn't our problem. This chap obviously does not know and understand or have good customer service skills. After 2 hours, we were still trying to get someone's attention to order desserts! Although my friend ordered dessert, hers never arrived so I asked the waiter where it was and his response was 'don't worry you haven't been charged for it', which indicated to me he'd forgotten to put it on the order, at this point my friend just told him to forget it; everyone else had eaten theirs and we had all had enough! The manager, offered the whole table coffee and tea 'on the house', we then proceeded to wait just over 20 minutes for this. I shall not be returning here even if the meal was offered to me for free. The failings with this restaurant are:
Awful chef who cannot get his timings right and over cooks/under cooks and dries out food
Waiters do not understand that you are there for the customer (sneaking out for a fag is not good, yes you absolutely stank of smoke when you retuned to serve us - you know who you are)
The Manager is not a manager, he needs retraining on customer services and needs to understand that discussing his failings due to being busy is not our issue. He needs to just deal with it!
My husband is now asking how he is going to be compensated for the 3.5 hours of his life that he has wasted today!
Visited 1pm on Sunday 5th January.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Sharon D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Royal Esplanade Hotel
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Seaview Hotel
Seaview Hotel
#1 of 2 in Seaview

Been to Hotel Ryde Castle? Share your experiences!