Dorset Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Seaview Hotel(Seaview)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsb bhomemade marmaladegarden roomhigh demandvictoria suiteroom was small but cleanisle of wightshort walktown centrecommon areasbath and showerwell stocked barprunesnice staycar parkingground floorgreat place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2012

A cute little b&b with friendly staff and homely feel.
We stayed here for one night before heading off to the festival.
Beds were comfy and breakfast was perfect for us. Shower was a bit weak though.
All in all a great stop over before the festival!

• Stayed: June 2012
RydeMichael31, Owner at Dorset Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay at the Dorset House, we appreciate your comments and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on some future occasion.

Proprietor

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Our recent walk round the coast of the Isle of Wight entailed us staying in this hotel for the first and last nights. Luckily, the place was really good (otherwise we wouldn't have been looking forward to our last night's stay). The staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was brilliant and we had a great night's slepp on both occasions. The room we had wasn't fantastically large, but is was perfectly good enough for our needs. The proximity of the place to the Union Street eateries made it even better.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
RydeMichael31, Owner at Dorset Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2012

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased that you found the accommodation was satisfactory for your personal requirements. Congratulations on walking around the island in the seven days. Michael Baker - Proprietor

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I find it hard to believe people slate this place, it is excellent value for money, come on, £42 per night for an en-suite room with breakfast! I’ve paid double, if not more to stop in many Premier Inn’s and have encountered more bad ones than good. So much to say, I’ve stopped using them and now prefer to use small independent hotels such as this one.

The hotel is clean and functions well. The room was good, clean and the bed was very comfortable (best nights sleep in ages whilst working away). It had all you would want for a short stay - decent shower (with loads of hot water), desk for that all important work, kettle and a very good TV.

Would I go back? Yes I would, and I’ll be there again in a few weeks. Oh, and the sausages – the Lincolnshire ones were lovely!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
RydeMichael31, Owner at Dorset Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you found our accommodation satisfactory for your requirements and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again on some future occassion.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night a few weeks ago and i wouldnt stay again! After a full days travelling from the mainland i couldnt wait to crash out in the hotel. Unfortunaly this wasnt the case. Whilst the hotel is located perfectly for access to the amenities, i would not recommend it to a friend. The inital impression on the inside was one of an old peoples home, with very dated furnishings and decor. I appreciate the right to an owners tatse but appealing? No. The rooms were clean however very small, barely enough room for two in a twin bed. The pillows were tiny so hardly any neck support and bedside lights were situated directly above the head board so a smacked head was unavoidable. Also both me and my partner had cold showers, with not even lukewarm water. Finally the person we met to check in was quite surly and scruffy, and didnt seem welcoming at all. Breakfast (full english) was small, with almost stale white bread and awful sausages. Not good at all.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank jwhittle90
RydeMichael31, Owner at Dorset Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

I have waited a month before responding to this reveiw, as I have e-mailed the writer and asked them to identify themselves and the date of the stay, thus allowing me to investigate the points that they have detailed.

No reply has been received so I can not be sure if this review is genuine.

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you did not like the lounge facilities we provide, but pleased that you found the accommodation to be clean. We have a variety or rooms available, You must have personally chosen to book a standard room, rather than a premier room which are much larger and offer more space.

Additional pillows are available in the wardrobes of each room and extra are available if required from the front desk. At not time did you request additional services or make us aware of any hot water problem as this could have easily been checked. The majority of times when a comment of no hot water is received it is due to the wrong operation of the shower which are probably different to the one in your personal accommodation.

We receive many praises for our breakfast menu, apart from some negative comments about the sausages we use. We do not serve stale bread and all our Kingsmill bread is toasted prior to serving!

My DISAPPOINTMENT with this review is the failure to identify the writer and the fact that many of the comments contained in this the writers first review could have been resolved if they have spoken to any of the staff at the time rather than hide behind a computer. I personally think that accommodation can not be judged on one nights stay as this does not allow you to experience the accommodation facilities in detail.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 22 October 2011

I booked a double bedroom, although my girlfriend couldn´t do it, so I had the room for myself.
Nice views from a good sized room in the corner of the building. I don´t mind about old furniture, despite mattres could be renewed.
Good location, near Pyer Head, and quite area.
The only critic I could have was the cleanliness, with hairs in the shower and some tea stains on one of the bedside tables. I couldn´t have english breakfast because I had a race in the morning, but cereals, milk, toasts, etc were ok.
I would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
RydeMichael31, Owner at Dorset Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

thank you for your recent review of our accommodation, I am pleased to see that overall your stay was satisfactory and you would return.

The comments regarding the cleanliness have been discussed with the housekeeping department and I am grateful for you pointing out the standard which is below the standard we are aiming to acheive and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I hope that if your return for one of the major sporting events which take place on the Isle of Wight we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

thank you once again for your review.