“Nice boozer. Great food.”
Review of The King Lud

The King Lud
Ranked #32 of 96 Restaurants in Ryde
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

The service here was first class. The food was good and they sell real ale. The staff were brilliant. Thanks

1  Thank Highwayman8155

Reviewed 18 July 2013

We were tempted in by the impressive selection of mussel dishes advertised on their board. We ordered drinks and I established that the moules were available that night which the barman confirmed. Went in to order food 20 minutes later only to be told that the kitchen had decided to close as they hadnt had a food order all day. I mentioned that there might be lots of customers that evening but it fell on deaf ears. Never mind, the chinese next door was open and inundated with customers with the waiters working their socks off. I sometimes think the work ethic of english people leaves a lot to be desired. Come on guys, there's a recession on. Don't turn business away.

1  Thank Elaine S
Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

I brought my mum here for a birthday meal. I arrived firstly a d asked the barman if he minded if we sang happy birthday to my mum with a cake I brought in myself. The barman was very accommodating and throughout our visit we had service with a smile. The food was good and so was the atmosphere. They even allowed my mum to use her elite cigarette where Weatherspoon's won't even though it is not smoke just water vapour. Our table was cleared promptly after our meal and I really like the sign that indicated that people can come in to use the toilets as long as they put a penny in the pot. "A penny for a penny"

2  Thank Jo R
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Came here with my sons and a crew of their college mates. Situated on the front looking across the Solent, although suffered slightly from the busy road outside. Plenty of spirit and a good clientele plainly laid back and intent on destressing and passing the time affably. Food fairly standard fare but well presented and good value. I liked the pub.

1  Thank MacM874
Reviewed 2 May 2013

What can I say here, first of all if you look respectable and sober you will not get past the doorman who appears to have his own agenda. I set the scene, I was with a small group celebrating all of which work for the same charity organisation, one of which was celibrating her birthday. None of us drunk, espectally myself who was the designated driver for the night. On entering I was singled out and refused entry even though I was clearly sober only touching coke all evening. Our evening was cut short and the team very dissapointed. Therefore I cannot comment on this establishment other than the door person working 24/04/13 who appeared to have an agenda of keeping smart buisness people out and letting anyone in their 20s and females in all sorts of state in. Needless to say we moved on quietly without arguement, but I thought I would share my experience..

2  Thank iwrep
Kinglud, Owner at The King Lud, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

At last, we have the management rights to respond to this false review. Our open mic night is one of the most mellow and friendly evenings of our week. It is not necessary for us to have a doorman, as the night is typically littered with musical, bohemian, mellow, happy, quirky, peace loving types so this review is flawed in the first instance. Our positive reviews more than compensate for this false and questionable review, hope you represent the island truthfully sometimes.