“Good entertainment.”

Wight Karting
Ranked #1 of 38 things to do in Ryde
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Purpose built 500m all weather outdoor track. All equipment provided (including waterproofs on wet days)! Tuition included, no experience necessary. Driving from 8 years old. Top ACTION attraction for IW. Wight Karting couldn't be easier or more convenient to find - its right behind Tesco Extra in Ryde; just follow the road signs straight on at the Tesco extra entrance mini roundabout:PO33 1QS CHECK WEBSITE FAQs FOR HOURS but generally open 7 days a week from 10am for Arrive & Drive each school holidays. (Check website for open hours outside the holiday times). Open for bookings of 20+drivers anytime 9am-10pm.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Ben Brading provided excellent advice and service with regard to booking this attraction. We bought two sessions for an adult and junior participant. They both enjoyed the experience. The print out of the lap times was a use-full addition.
The karts and the equipment provided was to a good standard. The safety arrangements and the marshalling was also addressed to a good standard.

1  Thank Martin S
wightkarting, Owner at Wight Karting, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hi martin,
thank you for coming and I'm delighted to know Ben's pleasing his 8000th customer as much as he did his first! He's a young apprentice on a business management course and will go along way.
Kindest regards
cathy

Write a ReviewReviews (1,042)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We visited Wight Karting as part of an 8 man group. The event was run well but there were some disappointing parts which spoilt it for me.

Firstly we were told that water had to be added to the first corner to prevent noise from tyre screeching as they had complaints from the local residents. Obviously being a racer this isn't what you really expect especially as we weren't offered a reduced rate. I always like to try see how I compare to the lap record which wasn't possible on this occasion.

The main problem on the day though was that a member of our party had informed the head marshal that the number 2 kart had a problem but nothing was done about this after practice and unbeknown I was given this kart for the final after qualifying pole with a 34.1 second lap. After racing with a slow kart and finishing second with best time of 35.5 I informed the same guy that the kart was faulty. This was fobbed off and implied that it was common that times between sessions varied and the kart was fine. I have race karts from the age of 8 and I know when a kart is faulty. My father even tried to explain to the man that he passed me into the first corner from 3rd place on the grid to which he replied 'this is common for that to happen'. I'm not sure it could be that common to make up 3-5m in the space of 10m if the kart was fine.

I also suggested that from a safety point of view the use of blue flags would be a good idea. Me and the winner were by far the fastest on the track and even though I was down on power I probably could have still won if I had the grunt to pass back markers. The fact there was no blue flags meant that the slower runners got in the way and didn't realise they were racing with the leaders. The marshals only stand there doing nothing anyway so why no hand them a blue flag and let them wave it. Would have made for a better race and improved safety no end.

This was dismissed by the same chap as being too tricky to implicate and the track was too small for blue flags anyway. In my opinion the smaller the track the more important blue flags are. Try Monaco for example!

After all this the chap seemed to disappear so after waiting for 5 minutes we handed the trophies out ourselves and left.

Overall it was a good day out with friends and family but spoilt a little by the water on track, poor attitude to our warning and subsequent slow kart spoiling the race.

Hi Ashley,
Thanks for taking such trouble to highlight to the World that you didn't win! Its all about the taking part at a recreational track (well, almost!)
In all seriousness though, we should have changed the kart 2 and if staff were made aware there is a need to improve our service. We will be further looking at the situation and these reviews do help us focus on practical training.
Come back Ashley and try again! Its not Thruxton, but our customers have regularly commented its well up there with the best in the business, and we are new and endeavoring to be the best.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Don't get me wrong, it was great fun, but then go karting always is. It is also a new business, so in good condition with great facilities and good karts. However, comparing it to karting tracks on the main land, two examples being Eastleigh and thruxton, the value for money is not great! £15 for just 10 minutes (plus the £2 fee for a membership card which you are not actually informed about!) is quite pricey in comparison to other karting places where the standard session is 15 minutes, baring in mind the warm up lap behind the safety kart lasts 1-2 minutes that only leaves 8 mins which goes quickly! You can book multiple sessions and perhaps if i had, i might not have felt as hard done by! There are better tracks on the mainland but as its the only one on the island it is worth going to and is good fun for everyone!

hi NewYorker1985,
Thank you for taking the trouble to feedback to us, as you're obviously well traveled in karting and a good benchmark.
We endeavor to deliver a professional service and know from our customer feedback forms that after the experience 95% of our customers tell us we are either 4 or 5 out of 5 for £ Value. Our family visitors are particularly well looked after with sessions starting from £8.33 per session.
We really value your opinions, and hope you can come back and make the most of your appetite for more karting! Look out for our newsletter which will give our September deals.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

My adult son and 11 year old grandson went here for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My son is an experienced car driver but had never been in a go-kart before and it was a first time drive for my grandson. They attended on the arrive & drive scheme, no booking required, and we were pleased to find only a 20 minute wait. They were kitted out in professional looking outfits, complete with crash helmets, and given a safety briefing, before being led out to the track. They chose only a 10 minute session as it was their first time, but were both in agreement that it is something they would like to do again. A childhood dream for my son has been realised, for my grandson it is something awesome to tell his friends about when he goes back to school. Well worth trying!

1  Thank r0ses447

Hi Roees477,
We aim to please, and are grateful you took the time to visit us, and share your experience. i hope grandson has gotten the bug and makes our next Lewis Hamilton!
kind regards

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Friendly staff, good cafe, great karting fab way to spend your time in the wet or in the dry. Holiday kids sessions on Tuesday and Thursday is great value for money.

wightkarting, Owner at Wight Karting, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

As a new business we are so keen for your feedback and thanks a million for taking time to review. Delighted you've enjoyed yourselves.
Look forwards to seeing you next year or sooner!
cathy