“Somewhere Very Special Indeed”
Review of The Marchesa Bar - CLOSED

The Marchesa Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I ensure I visit Marchesa without fail whenever I visit my family on the Isle of Wight. It is small, classy and sophisticated, yet so friendly and welcoming. The food is superb and the service is completely first class.
It is a real little gem of a place and a complete oasis of calm. Despite being in the hub of Union Street, one feels miles away from the stress of every day life and that you are sat in somewhere special. I cannot recommend this establishment enough.

1  Thank Pinklady364

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

A lovely and classy cafe which serves amazing coffee, cakes and nibbles and has some great wines. It is nicely tucked away at the back of a shop (house of zabre) and has a nice and bright garden area. I came here with my parents and were really looked after by Cliff the owner, nothing was too much trouble for him and his suggestions were spot on (the quiche is beautiful). Would so recommend this establishment to anyone visiting the Ryde area!

1  Thank scubacorralejo
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I wanted to visit this charming place, but had a hard time finding it at first. Just as I was about to give up, I found it and boy am I glad I did. Charming and inviting both inside and out. I wanted a nice and quiet place to sit and talk with a friend while in Ryde and this place fit the bill perfectly.

The quiet garden outside was perfect for an afternoon beverage. The variety on offer was expansive. I will look forward to visiting again next time I am in Ryde.

1  Thank Max V
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I discovered this bar by accident, when a friend came to stay with me and found it on his phone. Imagine our delight to find a beautiful space with a peaceful atmosphere, hidden on Union Street! The proprietor, Cliff, offered us a warm welcome, not to mention delicious coffee and a very cold beer. I enjoyed the experience immensely, and have been back there since, only this time I got to sample paté on toast and chocolate Guinness cake - sigh.....
The rear courtyard is a little oasis of tranquility, and within five minutes of sitting in it, the writer in me was already contemplating spending a few quiet hours here - which is exactly what I did! What a joy to spend time in a comfortable, welcoming environment with good food and great coffee (Spot the coffee addict) Definitely on my "to be visited frequently" list.

2  Thank KC_Wells
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I love to take my friends to La Marchesa to surprise them. The decor is unashamedly decadent whilst the garden is a hidden jewel. Cliff is the loveliest proprietor and clearly trains his staff to look after the clientele instead of standing around like the world owes them a living. Going to Ryde without sampling the delights of La Marchesa is like going to Pisa and shunning the leaning tower. If you are local, go now!!

2  Thank Gwendolina10